How do you afford your WDW trips??

hokiefan33 said:
Absolutely right. These boards stink of money, whether people want to believe it or not. And that's fine. More power to them. If I had it, I'd be going a lot, too! But make no mistake, there's only so much "saving" you can do, but it is a whole lot easier to save when your income is high to begin with!

I disagree, this board is probably a fairly decent cross-section of our society. Disney fans come in every shape and size, and also in every income level. Currently in our country we are at a zero savings rate. Zero. Does that mean that some of us aren't saving? Of course not. There are plenty of savers right here on this board. It means that while some of us are indeed saving, others are going deeper and deeper into debt....bringing us to a zero savings rate as a nation. The same thing is probably happening right here on this board.

I agree with Rockyroad and Muffycat....it all depends what area of the country you come from.

I live in Northern NJ and it might as well be Manhatten. My taxes for a small 3 bedroom cape are almost $10K. My house is probably worth about $525K My good friend who lives on 6 acres in north Ga with a 5 bedroom SPRAWLING ranch her taxes are $1200, she just bought her house for $225K. She can't figure out how we do it up her in north. We are both in the same profession and both make about the same amount of money.

It's a constant struggle keeping up with taxes and the very high cost housing. So when I go to WDW it seems that it is pretty reasonable. Unless you order room service for pizza and they bring you a $40 pizza that at home you would pay may $12. So when I bought DVC is was very reasonable and it seemed ecnomical to me.

I still hunt for the best airfare, best car rental prices, and figure ways to save on Dinning and tickets.

dvcgirl said:
I disagree, this board is probably a fairly decent cross-section of our society. Disney fans come in every shape and size, and also in every income level. Currently in our country we are at a zero savings rate. Zero. Does that mean that some of us aren't saving? Of course not. There are plenty of savers right here on this board. It means that while some of us are indeed saving, others are going deeper and deeper into debt....bringing us to a zero savings rate as a nation. The same thing is probably happening right here on this board.

While I can see your point, I still am not convinced. I think the only way to prove this out would be for each person to list their household income, as well as their household fixed payments per month, and see what kind of shape everyone was in. That will never be possible for 2 reasons. One, not everyone would be willing to do so, and two, some who did would most surely "fudge" some of their numbers to either make them look better or worse. So there's no way to prove it. But knowing how much it costs to stay at the hotels, and knowing how often people go based on the taglines under their names, you can see how much people are spending on their vacations within a reasonable amount.

I don't think so. The median U.S. household income for 2004 (three year average) is $43,527 (www.census.gov). I suspect the median here is significantly higher. I think very few people who make below the median household income can afford regular Disney trips (I know there are a few posters here who manage, don't know how but more power to them).

While certainly there are Disney fans in every income level, someone making $35,000 a year is going to have a hard time getting to WDW regularly after paying a for housing, health insurance, food, gas, taxes, etc.

Then there is the logistics of Disney on $43,527 a year or less. Possible and probably not too difficult if you are a single Florida resident - you can drive, take advantage of FL resident discounts. Its a whole 'nother story if you are living in Seattle (with Seattle's housing prices!) with three kids and realistically are going to spend $2000 just flying the family, then add another $2000 on park tickets. That's a significant percentage of your income to sink into annual vacations.

That's why its hard to compare yourself to others. The first variable is income - if you make $35,000 a year you simply have less than someone making $125,000 a year. The next is logistics. Someone making $25,000 a year in Tallahassee might go a lot more often than someone making $40,000 in Alaska. Then there is wealth. $35,000 a year with no mortgage, no debt, and a few hundred thousand in the bank is a whole different situation than $35,000 and $1500 a month mortgage payments, no emergency fund, and a credit card bill from the last time the washing machine broke.

crisi said:
I don't think so. The median U.S. household income for 2004 (three year average) is $43,527 (www.census.gov). I suspect the median here is significantly higher. I think very few people who make below the median household income can afford regular Disney trips (I know there are a few posters here who manage, don't know how but more power to them).

While certainly there are Disney fans in every income level, someone making $35,000 a year is going to have a hard time getting to WDW regularly after paying a for housing, health insurance, food, gas, taxes, etc.

Then there is the logistics of Disney on $43,527 a year or less. Possible and probably not too difficult if you are a single Florida resident - you can drive, take advantage of FL resident discounts. Its a whole 'nother story if you are living in Seattle (with Seattle's housing prices!) with three kids and realistically are going to spend $2000 just flying the family, then add another $2000 on park tickets. That's a significant percentage of your income to sink into annual vacations.

That's why its hard to compare yourself to others. The first variable is income - if you make $35,000 a year you simply have less than someone making $125,000 a year. The next is logistics. Someone making $25,000 a year in Tallahassee might go a lot more often than someone making $40,000 in Alaska. Then there is wealth. $35,000 a year with no mortgage, no debt, and a few hundred thousand in the bank is a whole different situation than $35,000 and $1500 a month mortgage payments, no emergency fund, and a credit card bill from the last time the washing machine broke.

Amen, sister. And I would bet that most people on this board are a lot better off financially than they are willing to let on, or at least a lot better off financially compared to everyone else than they think they are. Of course, as I said, there's only one way to prove it...

I agree with crisi as well as..

3DisneyKids said:
Basically, it all comes down to choices...instead of getting new carpeting for the house, they go to WDW. Instead of ---fill in the blank with whatever else you spend money on--they go to WDW.

We can afford DVC and WDW because we don't have to pay for housing. I manage a residential apartment complex that provides me with free housing and utilities (gas, electric, basic cable & dsl,) as well as medical insurance and a cell phone for work. Great benefits and flexible hours but the pay is really, really low (think min.wage). And I'm literally at work 24/7. However, if you add up all the expenses, I don't have to pay on my own, I guess the pay is pretty good.

Since I work until 7pm or 8pm, we (DH. DD4, DD6, & I) all eat at my parents' place (also in the same building complex) before going home. My parents and I split the costs of the nanny who drops off and picks up my kids from school. She does light housework at my parents' place and prepares dinner for all of us. She also does the grocery shopping in Chinatown for $100 per week for 7 people. We (Mom & I) pay for Costco & supermarket trips.

I don't have much household expenses other than our landline phone, toiletries, rental for car parking and food for the weekends. Other major expenses are tithing, dvc maintenance, car (paid for) and life insurance. The rest of DH's take home pay is pretty much savings and disposal income.

DH really misses having a house and a gargage - he's a Jersey boy - but the numbers don't make sense especially with the high housing prices in NYC and Northern NJ. With our salaries we can't afford a house in this area even if I did get a pay raise.

We could probably "only afford" a coop or condo and even those are ridiculously high (most over 500k) - which be the same as apartment living. We couldn't afford the mortagage on that not to mention that anything we buy would give us a lot less living space than now. We currently have a 4 bed/2 baths apartment. We would have to degrade to a 2 bed/1 bath to be able to afford anything.

It was a matter of buying any house and being "house poor" and not having any money left over for anything else after paying for the mortgage/taxes/insurance/etc, and having to actually commute back to where I use to live to work! DH was spoiled in being able to buy all the electronic gadgets (at a bargain, of course) he desired. We'd love having our own house in the suburbs but we also enjoy our comfortable standard of living and the security of not having to worry about money.

While we have a good amount of disposal income, we are pretty frugal with our money. We have no debt (although I have been kow to take advantage of 0% financing), we pay off credit cards each month, we hardly ever eat out (except when on vacation), DH wear clothes from before we got married (& gifts from family), I cut my hair once a year, DH changes his own oil and hand washes the car (at his aunt's house since we don't have a driveway), and we try never to pay full price for anything.

We put the money we would have paid in rent and utilities away each month in a separate account for our future home one day. This way we don't spend away the advantage of free rent.

My major splurge are vacations. If we had a house, we couldn't afford to splurge and we would stay home.

crisi said:

I'm not trying to say that there are many here at the poverty level...or that the median income is 43K, but rather that there are plenty of people here who are not "dripping in money", as an earlier poster said. I do agree that it's impossible to ascertain by the number of trips that a family makes what they are worth.

I do think this though, that we have become an "instant gratification" nation. We want it...and we want it now. Think back 25-30 years ago when many of us here were children. Did you all go to Walt Disney World every year? Did our families spend thousands of dollars on vacations? Mine sure didn't. Credit cards were around back then, but they sure weren't as easy to get. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Same thing with automobiles. Do you remember seeing so many luxury vehicles on the road back then? I sure don't remember that. Back then, leasing didn't exist. Conicidence? I don't think so. I guess my point is that while just about every person, kid or otherwise I know has been to Disney World at least once...it still remains true that a vacation to Walt Disney World ranges from moderately expensive to *very* expensive. And yet the parks are just jam packed with people. And consumer credit card debt is at an all-time high in this country...again...coincidence? I don't think so.

So I find it admirable that the OP is sort of scratching her head saying..."man...how do you all do it?" The answer sure isn't that this board is dripping with money.

You see it here all the time...the posts that start with, "Well, money is kind of tight right now, but I just couldn't pass up the Free Dining Offer and little Jimmy will only be 2 once..." That kind of thing is pervasive here. And I can see how it can lead someone like the OP to think..."hmmm...what are we doing wrong here..." The answer...nothing. She's asking the right questions, ones that we should all ask ourselves.

The other one is..."we invested in DVC". Now, I'm not knockind DVC. We owned for several years ourselves. But it's not an investment. It's not a way to save money. It's a way to save money on a Deluxe Walt Disney World vacation. And owning DVC means that you not only have the original cost to deal with, but also dues, and tickets and transportation to get here. People who are struggling to save for one WDW trip probably shouldn't be thinking about buying into the DVC. If you normally vacation at WDW every other year in a deluxe hotel and can afford it....great! But it's not an investment. It's a pre-paid deluxe vacation plan that will require a great deal of future spending.

dvcgirl said:
I'm not trying to say that there are many here at the poverty level...or that the median income is 43K, but rather that there are plenty of people here who are not "dripping in money", as an earlier poster said. I do agree that it's impossible to ascertain by the number of trips that a family makes what they are worth.

Just for the record, I said "stinks of money." :)

dvcgirl said:
I do think this though, that we have become an "instant gratification" nation. We want it...and we want it now. Think back 25-30 years ago when many of us here were children. Did you all go to Walt Disney World every year? Did our families spend thousands of dollars on vacations? Mine sure didn't. Credit cards were around back then, but they sure weren't as easy to get. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Same thing with automobiles. Do you remember seeing so many luxury vehicles on the road back then? I sure don't remember that. Back then, leasing didn't exist. Conicidence? I don't think so. I guess my point is that while just about every person, kid or otherwise I know has been to Disney World at least once...it still remains true that a vacation to Walt Disney World ranges from moderately expensive to *very* expensive. And yet the parks are just jam packed with people. And consumer credit card debt is at an all-time high in this country...again...coincidence? I don't think so.

But this doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about (and others), that it's my opinion that there is more wealth on these boards (comparatively speaking) than most people think. I wasn't talking about who makes sacrifices to come, who goes into debt to come, etc..., but about who can afford to come b/c they have the money sitting around to do so with. Entirely different thing, in my book.

dvcgirl said:
So I find it admirable that the OP is sort of scratching her head saying..."man...how do you all do it?" The answer sure isn't that this board is dripping with money.

Again, that's "stinks of money." And again, you can't say for sure that that isn't the answer, b/c you don't know that for sure without polling everyone and asking them about their financial situation. So make sure you state yours as an opinion, not as a fact, just as it's only my opinion, that there is a comparatively large amount of money on these boards.

dvcgirl said:
You see it here all the time...the posts that start with, "Well, money is kind of tight right now, but I just couldn't pass up the Free Dining Offer and little Jimmy will only be 2 once..." That kind of thing is pervasive here.

That is true, you do see a lot of that. But you also see quotes like "We go to the Poly/CR/GF/WL/AKL, b/c we just can't imagine staying anywhere else, plus we can afford to." So you have both sides, not just one. Again, need a poll to determine for sure!

dvcgirl said:
And I can see how it can lead someone like the OP to think..."hmmm...what are we doing wrong here..." The answer...nothing. She's asking the right questions, ones that we should all ask ourselves.
I agree, it's not that we're doing anything wrong, I think it's just that some of us are more fortunate/lucky/married better/inherited wealth, etc... than many others, or just simply have higher paying jobs than others. That's nothing wrong, but it is a difference, don't you think?

dvcgirl said:
The other one is..."we invested in DVC". Now, I'm not knockind DVC. We owned for several years ourselves. But it's not an investment. It's not a way to save money. It's a way to save money on a Deluxe Walt Disney World vacation. And owning DVC means that you not only have the original cost to deal with, but also dues, and tickets and transportation to get here. People who are struggling to save for one WDW trip probably shouldn't be thinking about buying into the DVC. If you normally vacation at WDW every other year in a deluxe hotel and can afford it....great! But it's not an investment. It's a pre-paid deluxe vacation plan that will require a great deal of future spending.

ITA

WOW .... This has become such a heated topic.

You just never know how people afford things. My neighbors who don't have 2 cents to rub together own DVC at OKW and just went on vacation in Aruba and bought a timeshare there. How do they do it?? Beats the hell out of me.

The bottom line is that everyone knows there own financial state and somethings that are improtant to you may not be important to someone else. I know many people who live from paycheck to paycheck and worry about there bills when they come in. I couldn't do that.

I have lost friends because they tell me I am cheap and that they know I could afford to do more things with them or go out to dinner everynight with them.....well I may be frugal....but I get to go to WDW a few times a year.

I would love to be able to go to WDW as often as many posters do but we too cannot. Our family has :flower: a $60,000 annual income and I have a son in college but I've managed to swing a couple of trips over the past few years. I just waited until there were specials and took advantage of them, this year it is the free dining. Also, I am thrilled to be staying on the grounds even if it is a value resort. I get the impression that many posters feel the value resorts are "beneath them" and although I would love to stay in a deluxe ( and have a couple of times) just being at Disney thrills me. I can go to Disney for a lot less than many people do because I am willing to sacrifice luxury just to be there.

I quit trying to compare our family to others many years ago which is good since everyone in my family is a LOT better off financially than we are. I just remind myself daily how lucky we are and try to be very thankful for the things and opportunities we have. Just go when you can and ENJOY!!!!!

Well, dripping in money is relative. I remember years ago making less than $40,000 and my friends thinking I was very well off - since a good job to them was paying $23,000.

We are an instant gratification society. And your point on DVC is something I make often. We own DVC. It does allow us bi-annual trips in a Deluxe(like) resort. We do not save money doing this - we spend money. Saving money would be skipping WDW entirely and staying home. There are, however, many of us that cringe over the "don't worry about the money, its the memories" attitude that I agree is prevalent here. Not only do I find that advice irresponsible (I don't know anyone here's finances well enough to say "but you can't pass up free dining! There car may be on its last legs and they might be trying to figure out how to pay to reroof the house), I find it really offensive. Yep, my family didn't take big annual vacations. But I have plenty of great memories of a childhood that involved trips to the local museum, nature walks near the house and nights over a monopoly board. They aren't any less precious than the one big WDW vacation we did take.

hokiefan33 said:
Just for the record, I said "stinks of money." :)

But this doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about (and others), that it's my opinion that there is more wealth on these boards (comparatively speaking) than most people think. I wasn't talking about who makes sacrifices to come, who goes into debt to come, etc..., but about who can afford to come b/c they have the money sitting around to do so with. Entirely different thing, in my book.

Again, that's "stinks of money." And again, you can't say for sure that that isn't the answer, b/c you don't know that for sure without polling everyone and asking them about their financial situation. So make sure you state yours as an opinion, not as a fact, just as it's only my opinion, that there is a comparatively large amount of money on these boards.

That is true, you do see a lot of that. But you also see quotes like "We go to the Poly/CR/GF/WL/AKL, b/c we just can't imagine staying anywhere else, plus we can afford to." So you have both sides, not just one. Again, need a poll to determine for sure!

I agree, it's not that we're doing anything wrong, I think it's just that some of us are more fortunate/lucky/married better/inherited wealth, etc... than many others, or just simply have higher paying jobs than others. That's nothing wrong, but it is a difference, don't you think?

ITA

Gotcha..."stinks of money". "These boards stink of money whether people want to believe it or not." That's an opinion too I guess. And one that I would be willing to a whole lot of money is not true. We can debate back and forth all day, but based on consumer debt and the cost of a very basic value hotel WDW vacation for a family of four.....I'm betting a good deal of it goes on credit cards. And I'm sure most people who do that have the best of intentions on paying it right off, but then something comes up...

I'm just saying that it's a huge leap to say that these boards "stink of money"....that's all.

This is just my opinion, but there seems to be many SAHMs on this board. I don't have an opinion on being a SAHM itself, I really think it just depends on each family and whether being a SAHM is best for the family or not. But, being that there are many SAHMs, it seems that possibly many families have an opportunity to go more since only DH needs to take vacation and maybe the SAHM is better able to plan the vacation and do cost-cutting things to make a vacation more affordable.

We don't go to WDW every year, or every other year even. We go when I get an itch- I want to go to Disneyworld. My two trips as an adult have been in March- Tax Return Season! That is the only way we have gone. We are debt-free, so charging is not an option.
BTW- we stay at value resorts, and do any of the "extras" or "can't miss" stuff that you read about here. There is enough magic in WDW that doesn't cost.

hi
your right it has become a heated topic - i thought it was only the british that worried about what other people earned and did with their money!! imho people spend what they can afford in most cases (yes there are people who run up credit card and loan bills but most people save and budget) we travel from the u.k. twice yearly book hotels through priceline (got travelodge hotel for $25) usually manage to get cheap charter flights and good all inclusive car rates. we are quite happy to eat at buffets and fast food outlets and don't buy many souvies anymore. we do tip house keeping and restaraunts although i thought the snipe in the orlando sentinel was a bit unfair. we do all try and learn by our mistakes but tipping is a whole different ball game over here! any how i digress, i agree with the poster,go and enjoy don't compare. if it works for you it's o.k. only 30 days until our vey tightly budgeted holiday :banana: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :cheer2:

I start saving for my Nov. trip every year in March. That being said. You want travel saving ways to get there every year-not how I do it. First you
need to pick a down time. If you are one of those people in fear of taking
your kids out of school for a week, then you will ALWAYS spend more money
then those of us who do not feel that 1 week of missed 5th grade will mean
my child will not go to college. Point 2- You need to think off Disney Hotels.
mind-you, you do not need to stay in a hell-hole or on I-drive. Try Hotel
Kingdom.Com. Point 3- yes you should rent a car and then park it at DownTown Disney and get the free transportation over to the parks. Point 4
Think Buffet for both breakfast and dinner ( ie Golden Coral or such) Lunch-
go to Walmart in Kissismee get snacks and most important water. Point 5-
if you really want abit of Disney to take home try the Beltz Mall they have
two Disney Discount Stores. These are tips I tell everyone who says "I can't
afford Disney". I hope they are helpful.

dvcgirl said:
Gotcha..."stinks of money". "These boards stink of money whether people want to believe it or not." That's an opinion too I guess. And one that I would be willing to a whole lot of money is not true. We can debate back and forth all day, but based on consumer debt and the cost of a very basic value hotel WDW vacation for a family of four.....I'm betting a good deal of it goes on credit cards. And I'm sure most people who do that have the best of intentions on paying it right off, but then something comes up...

I'm just saying that it's a huge leap to say that these boards "stink of money"....that's all.

It is no more of a leap than your conclusions that people who vacation and stay at just the value resorts are charging it, based on nationwide consumer debt. That is a "leap", too. As I have said (repeatedly), you would have to take a poll to know for sure!

susan1 said:
hi
your right it has become a heated topic - i thought it was only the british that worried about what other people earned and did with their money!! imho people spend what they can afford in most cases (yes there are people who run up credit card and loan bills but most people save and budget) we travel from the u.k. twice yearly book hotels through priceline (got travelodge hotel for $25) usually manage to get cheap charter flights and good all inclusive car rates. we are quite happy to eat at buffets and fast food outlets and don't buy many souvies anymore. we do tip house keeping and restaraunts although i thought the snipe in the orlando sentinel was a bit unfair. we do all try and learn by our mistakes but tipping is a whole different ball game over here! any how i digress, i agree with the poster,go and enjoy don't compare. if it works for you it's o.k. only 30 days until our vey tightly budgeted holiday :banana: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :cheer2:

I don't know that we worry in this country, or that anyone worries about what others do. Personally, I do wonder what shape we'll be in say 25-30 years from now.

I found it refreshing that the OP was questioning how so many go all of the time, and like Crisi noted, there's really no way to know what individual's financing are... Seeing fifty hotels listed and corresponding dates that reflect multiply yearly stays at WDW means *nothing*. It could mean that that family indeed "stinks with money", it could mean that all of their extra money goes toward trips to WDW, and it could mean that they're up to their eyeballs in debt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter