How do people cruise 25+ times on DCL?

Just noticed an email today that talks about the Pearl Level. I did wonder when they would do something. It will be interesting to see what the perks are. We live a 40 minute drive South of Port Canaveral and did our first cruise in 2008. A series of events led us to be raising one of our grandsons from when he was 3 years old. We started hitting the parks booking an on property hotel about every 6 weeks and then I noticed a Florida Resident Special on DCL. One cruise and hooked. As others have said back then it was cheaper, they ran Fl Resident Specials and you got a nice discount if you booked ahead while on board. I usually had at least 2 cruises booked ahead. I think we found that raising the grandson was very tough at our age and the cruise gave us time to recharge and get some one on one time while he was in the clubs. I think we all hit Platinum within 3 years. Over time the prices have gone up, the specials few and far between and the number of wait staff reduced plus the cocktail party only now on 8 days and above.. But we still love it We did # 26 this past September and were very unhappy with the loss of the Platinum Check in and the whole boarding and on line check in process along with the 3rd party Covid requirements. Made for a stressful time. All in all though we have taken our boys and our other Grandchildren on several cruises. DCL is the only cruise Line I have sailed or want to sail. Virgin does look pretty attractive but Disney still is magical. Will we do more? Well I am 76 and still working full time and the wife is 79. That young Grandson is now 22 and in the "Notch" where there is very little on board of interest. The years fly by. If they return to not having an assigned port arrival time, give us a dedicated checkin and some boarding priority we will do a few more.

Three things: started early, make more than the average*, and are serious DCL enthusiasts.

*Depending on how much $ we're talking the first point could be moot.
Or just love cruising. There was an article on line today about a couple who just completed # 110 on various lines.

Or just love cruising. There was an article on line today about a couple who just completed # 110 on various lines.
Kinda looping in on my prior comment about Seabourn one of the people on the FB pages has just started their 9 month journey combo road trip and cruising. A total of 156 days aboard the same cruise ship. I think it's broken up into different segments but yeah. That said pretty certain this person is a CEO of a tech company and thus is not under normal rules lol.

Another thought is that I’ve done 8 DVC Member Cruises. That’s practically Platinum status right there! These are not necessarily week long cruises, but they have enough special interest activities that make them worthwhile to me.

I have 4 DCL cruises booked, but due to economic concerns, I think the Hawaii/Vancouver cruise may be cut.

My current DCL past cruises # is 37.

Another thought is that I’ve done 8 DVC Member Cruises. That’s practically Platinum status right there! These are not necessarily week long cruises, but they have enough special interest activities that make them worthwhile to me.

I have 4 DCL cruises booked, but due to economic concerns, I think the Hawaii/Vancouver cruise may be cut.

My current DCL past cruises # is 37.
On the Member cruise we did together in 2019 (hope to be on another one with you in the future btw :love: ) one couple I met in Cove Cafe ONLY did Member cruises. They never sailed on 'regular' DCL cruises, mostly because they wanted to avoid as many children as possible. I didn't know quite what to say to that considering I was sailing with 2 kids at the time so I just smiled and nodded and said something about 'regular' cruises being pretty darned awesome too.

By the time people get over 25 under their belt, a new top tier will pop up.

Diamond! For over 125 nights on the high seas and that will coincide with celebrating Walt’s 125th Birthday in 2026.

By the time people get over 25 under their belt, a new top tier will pop up.

Diamond! For over 125 nights on the high seas and that will coincide with celebrating Walt’s 125th Birthday in 2026.
Or the ultimate top level with Disney. BROKE.

On our transatlantic cruise during the gold and platinum event, this May, that the cruise Director Peter told us that there was a couple who had 78 sailings back in May. He did look for them in the crowd and did not see them on the transatlantic.

We started cruising about 12 years ago. A lot of B2B and even a B2B2B, alaska, west coast, Panama canal. so we have done a lot of cruises. 2 per year and sometimes 3. Mostly on the Wonder on the West coast.

Yes, that's called truancy here and it can carry with it criminal penalties for parents.
My last employer gave 2 weeks vacation, bumped it to 3 weeks after 5 years, and 4 weeks after 10 years. The top tier is 5 weeks but that doesn't hit until you have worked for the company for 30 YEARS.

From talking with parents all over the U.S., it really seems like the truancy laws/enforcement varies by city/state, and even at the school district level.

Our girls are both in the largest school district in Omaha. We've pulled them out of school for trips almost every year. They miss anywhere from 5-7 school days depending on the timing. We always call them out, and communicate with their teachers about the absence. The district will send occasional letters reminding us of how many days they've missed, but even when they may have gone over the limit (10 per term, I believe), they didn't do anything. I feel that part of this is due to their academic performance; neither have ever been in danger of failing, so we never worry about the impact of them missing a week of school.

My husband previously worked for PayPal, which made the switch to unlimited PTO a few years ago. He typically took between 15 to 21 days each year, depending on our trips and other travel. He just started with a new company (SAIC) in June, and even right out the gate he has 16 vacation days plus 2 floating holidays.

We will be on our 26th Disney cruise next Oct when we do the transpacific from Honolulu to Sydney. We have done at least 1 and often 2 cruises a year for about the last 15 years or so. We have only been on one or two cruises less than 7 days. We like the 10 days or more cruises. The longer the better. We have done all the European itineraries But we are lucky we can afford it and we have the tine. I’m retired since 2005 and my husband is an attorney so he is in charge of his own schedule . We also do DW at least once a year. Aulani once a year. And we do an annual dude ranch trip in the summer. And my husband and I usually do a couple only cruise or trip at least every other year. Even when I wa working I had lots of time off and had st least 3 trips scheduled. Travel is such a blessing!

A lot of them live within reasonable driving distance. If you don't have to pay for cross country airfare for the family for every cruise, it's both cheaper and logistically easier to cruise a lot more often.

And, as mentioned, many of them started 10+ years ago back when DCL was a lot cheaper.

It's quite an accomplishment but residence near the port has its privileges plus being empty nesters which is my long term goal. As for now I'm currently on the Fantasy for my 19th my DW 20th and my 2 DD are both platinum. We have done it by flying to every cruise, no B2Bs and a good mix of 3-7 night ones. Some B2Bs are in our future as my DW is trying to get to Pearl by the release.

We will be on our 26th Disney cruise next Oct when we do the transpacific from Honolulu to Sydney. We have done at least 1 and often 2 cruises a year for about the last 15 years or so. We have only been on one or two cruises less than 7 days. We like the 10 days or more cruises. The longer the better. We have done all the European itineraries But we are lucky we can afford it and we have the tine. I’m retired since 2005 and my husband is an attorney so he is in charge of his own schedule . We also do DW at least once a year. Aulani once a year. And we do an annual dude ranch trip in the summer. And my husband and I usually do a couple only cruise or trip at least every other year. Even when I wa working I had lots of time off and had st least 3 trips scheduled. Travel is such a blessing!
we are on that transpacific cruise, it will be my 25th. my wife has 34 cruises.

It's quite an accomplishment but residence near the port has its privileges plus being empty nesters which is my long term goal. As for now I'm currently on the Fantasy for my 19th my DW 20th and my 2 DD are both platinum. We have done it by flying to every cruise, no B2Bs and a good mix of 3-7 night ones. Some B2Bs are in our future as my DW is trying to get to Pearl by the release.
She better hurry up the release is coming up soon.

That would be HAL, not Disney. LOL.
Someone once responded to people doing soooo many Disney cruises that those could all be 3 day cruises. That they may live very close to the Port.
I think the two things that baffled me were how people have sooo much vacation time, and sooo much money to spend on vacations.
Supposedly the average American worker gets about 15 days of vacation and some here seem to take a lot more time off than that. Money, well, they could still be paying off the credit card bill for those trips.
Remember that for the most part only the top 10% can afford a DCL cruise with high frequency. I know folks who can not afford DCL ever and often just sail Carnival or RCL to save a lot of money and sail more often.

I wondered about the timing when the Pearl goes into affect. I’m booked on the first 25th anniversary cruise. My checkin is fast approaching. My app still shows my check in as platinum and my checkin date under the platinum level…120 days. I sort of thought we might check in earlier as a Pearl member, but so far checkin for May 6, I’m still a platinum online. It would’ve been nice to checkin earlier.

I wondered about the timing when the Pearl goes into affect. I’m booked on the first 25th anniversary cruise. My checkin is fast approaching. My app still shows my check in as platinum and my checkin date under the platinum level…120 days. I sort of thought we might check in earlier as a Pearl member, but so far checkin for May 6, I’m still a platinum online. It would’ve been nice to checkin earlier.
I thought all check in dates were 30 days out currently?

Booking activities is still tiered dates, but check in has been changed.

Yep, check in has not changed yet. There was rumor that it might sometime after the first of the year, but nothing definite.

No I was referring to booking activities date. It’s 120 days for platinum, but the Disney blog now shows 125 days for Pearl. But that’s not reflected on my account. My tasting/excursions booking date for my May 6th cruise is still 120 days prior and still says platinum. I would’ve thought the Pearl perks would begin for that cruise, since that cruise is when the 25th celebration begins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter