How crowded are the Magic laundry rooms?

I always end up doing laundry, and with the updated laundry interface (in the laundry room), you can check to see what is open on other floors if the laundry room you're in is all full. I'd recommend smaller batches instead of saving up lots of dirty clothes as the machines are small and its unlikely you'll find more than two machines open at a time.

Lastly, you'll get an update on your phone (if you're using it for Disney messaging) or the Wave Phone, when your machines are done.

I, too, have had worse luck with laundry on the smaller ships than the bigger ones. We did a Magic B2B in Europe in 2015 and, boy oh boy, the things we saw going on in those laundry rooms - people taking other people's clothes out, never returning for their clothes, a fight breaking out and one person taking someone else's laundry altogether. It was ugly, ugly, ugly and I felt SO bad for the people whose staterooms were right across from the laundry rooms - it could not have been pleasant. On our last trip on the Fantasy, it was a different story. I did our laundry on a sea day and had zero issues.

I, too, have had worse luck with laundry on the smaller ships than the bigger ones. We did a Magic B2B in Europe in 2015 and, boy oh boy, the things we saw going on in those laundry rooms - people taking other people's clothes out, never returning for their clothes, a fight breaking out and one person taking someone else's laundry altogether. It was ugly, ugly, ugly and I felt SO bad for the people whose staterooms were right across from the laundry rooms - it could not have been pleasant. On our last trip on the Fantasy, it was a different story. I did our laundry on a sea day and had zero issues.
The problem is, the Magic does those longer cruises, as well as the cruises that people may travel before or after their cruise and will have more laundry to be done than on the shorter cruises or cruises where people are only doing a cruise (not other travel connected).

On the Magic class ships there are are total of like 15 washers/15 dryers.

On the Dream class ships there are at least 19 washers/27 dryers (I don't have the count for two of the laundry rooms, so there's more than that).

We have literally put the room numbers in my phone notes that are close to the laundry rooms, I would never book those rooms.
That is my only fear when we book a GTY or VGT.
There is no consideration by some people.

Oh no, oh no, oh no... I need to come up with a strategy for next year...

We did a 4 day repo cruise on the Wonder in 2018 and had no problems doing laundry. I Even did it twice. We also had a room pretty much right across from the laundry room on deck 7 and no issues with that either. So it’s possible for it to be fine, probably depends a lot on the particular cruise.

I have no idea how long the lines are. Doesn’t matter.

Let me explain. The ship has laundry service where they pick up and deliver to your stateroom, the prices are in line with our local cleaners. We use them all the time. Often when we board we’ll send our clothes that may need pressing (dinner/evening attire) out the first day.

Every minute on the ship is precious to us, and even thirty minutes doing laundry is thirty minutes we could have been enjoying the ship, even something as simple as sitting on deck reading or watching the ocean. A few tens of dollars (at the most) after paying thousands to cruise is an easy choice for us.

Saving money by doing your own laundry is nice...but savoring every minute of the cruise is priceless.

What are the laundry room hours? Is 6 am the earliest?
Usually 24/7, but on the Wonder for this year’s WBPC cruise, the laundry room on deck 6 had a hand-lettered sign on the door the morning I arrived about 5:30 am to do laundry. The sign noted a 6 am opening time in consideration of guests in nearby staterooms. Door was locked. I headed to the deck 7 location to do my load of laundry, since I found it was open. I suspect that someone in a nearby stateroom on deck 6 had complained to Guest Services, leading to the room being locked sometime during the night. I noted that the door was unlocked as promised and the washers quickly filled up. This was just over halfway through the cruise, on a sea day after the canal transit, so lots of demand on this 14-night cruise.

Just an update that I did laundry right after the pirate show on Pirate Night. It was a glorious time. Only one other person in there with me and people were still coming back to their rooms as I finished so I didnt feel like I was keeping anyone up. Plus my makeup was partially face tattoos and those take forever to get off, so it was kind of a "down" time for me anyway. Worked perfectly, thanks for all the tips in this thread!

We've done other DCL cruises but never tried doing laundry on board. This time, we will need to. How hard will it be to get machines when we aren't in port? How much of a pain is it to do laundry on board? I don't want to pay to send it out.
Depends on the cruise. Getting a washer on the Med was a challenge. On my Bermuda trip last week I got a washer any time I needed one with no wait.

Usually 24/7, but on the Wonder for this year’s WBPC cruise, the laundry room on deck 6 had a hand-lettered sign on the door the morning I arrived about 5:30 am to do laundry. The sign noted a 6 am opening time in consideration of guests in nearby staterooms. Door was locked. I headed to the deck 7 location to do my load of laundry, since I found it was open. I suspect that someone in a nearby stateroom on deck 6 had complained to Guest Services, leading to the room being locked sometime during the night. I noted that the door was unlocked as promised and the washers quickly filled up. This was just over halfway through the cruise, on a sea day after the canal transit, so lots of demand on this 14-night cruise.
I was on that cruise and walking to my stateroom on deck 6 , a couple of staterooms before the laundry room your could hear where the laundry room was. I will never book a room close to the laundry room after this experience. Due to the loud noice of the machines, people who are nicely waiting for their load to finish, tend to speak quite loud.

We do Magic longer cruises too (June 2020: Rome-Greece) and I do most of the laundry for DW and DS. Yeah, there's a protocol and it requires persistence and patience. I know the Deck 7 facility quite well.

So good for all, if "line" for washers is well communicated . . . 6 washers ~ 37 minute cycle that means one will(should) free up every 5-10 minutes. Two-four loads waiting to begin the process at any one time, maybe 20-30 minutes max, and like all Disney queues, more tolerable if expectations are communicated and managed.

With app, there is very little excuse for folks to not unload wash promptly - imo, it's a bit rude.
BUT
Only 6 dryers and the cycle time there is a bit longer - hence the "Herbie" queue can build. Hence, even more important for those who have clothes in dryers to unload promptly.

From our North Sea circuit '18, the general consensus was 5-7 minutes after the dryer cycle ends . . . Unloading promptly was appreciated by all. AND after 7+ minutes, it was agreed that clothes would be unloaded neatly to keep the line moving.

Absolutely some ruffled feathers, but this consensus seemed to work for 90% of us so that lots of wash could be done and to keep line moving for all.

Probably helped that a few folks brought cocktails and considered the chore part of the fun of the cruise. It was quite social (many Gold & Platinum) as we took the process in stride.

On the Transatlantic cruise 2 weeks ago, the first day was crazy in there, we were in London for 4 days before and wanted to start a load thinking it wouldn't be bad, omg it was a nightmare, many had the same idea.
People taking other peoples stuff out and just throwing on the ironing board.
I had 3 minutes left on my washer and the dryer above me went off, I said ok these people will be here and I can take that one.
A woman comes from another floor with her wet clothes, says she needs a dryer and just dumps the clothes out of the dryer I was waiting for and takes it. I was giving the people a few minutes to come and take it.
She was so rude, it was off for just a minute or two.
When that lady came and saw the clothes thrown out, she got upset.
I was annoyed because I was patiently waiting for that dryer and she just marched in and took it.
I stood with my wet clothes another 10 minutes until another dryer became available.
I know we are all on vacation, but a few minute leeway is not going to kill you.
After that, we did early morning loads with no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter