How close is too close?

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
I've been trying to modify a Sci-Fi and/or Skipper Canteen for a while now, with no luck.

Currently:

12:00 Sci Fi
3:45 Skipper Canteen

Was hoping to get the Sci Fi @ 11:30 and Skipper Canteen around 5.

We are on DxDDP and planning on sharing credits at both of these meals (definitely at Sci Fi). So, for example, someone may get an app and dessert while someone else gets a milkshake and burger or steak at Sci Fi using only 1 credit for 2 people. Basically, we will be fed, but not "have to roll me out the door" stuffed.

So, I'm looking for opinions on whether or not I should just drop one of these because they are too close?

We do want to eat at both places and can't really fit them in at any other time on our trip. Considering showing up a bit early to Sci Fi already knowing what we want to order and hoping to get seated quickly and then I heard there was a 15 minute grace on ADRs...so showing up to SC at 4:00. Maybe it won't be too bad?

Edit to add: We are leaving HS after our Sci Fi lunch and heading to MK in the afternoon no matter what as we will be attending MVMCP. (DVC members get in at 2:00 and we are AP holders anyway, so park admission prior to party time is irrelevant)

Last edited:
Sure you can make it. One hour at Sci Fi gets you out by 1PM. You should be able to get to door-to-door in an hour so that gets you to SC by 2 or 2:30. So even if you get seated after 12PM and spend 90min at Sci Fi you can get to SC by 3:45.

12:15 > 1:45 then 1 hour to SC gets you there at 2:45. Even if it takes you 90 minutes door-to-door you still get there at 3:15.

You can do it for sure but if it were me, I'd save myself the stress and cancel one. It's just a bit too much running around (and eating) within a short window of time for my taste. I would decide which one is most important (for me it would be Sci Fi) and then drop the other one. From what I've seen, Skipper Canteen isn't quite a popular as Sci Fi and it may be easier to change. Maybe a later time will pop up when you are there that fits your schedule a little better? People seem to have lots of luck with day before or day of ADRs.

That is a lot of food really close together. It's also a lot of rushing around from park to park just to eat. Maybe look and see what restaurants are available after 5pm and plan your day around that?

We are leaving HS after our Sci Fi lunch and heading to MK in the afternoon no matter what as we will be attending MVMCP. (DVC members get in at 2:00 and we are AP holders too, so park admission prior to party time is irrelevant).

But yes, it seems we would be leaving Sci Fi, walking back to Boardwalk to get our stuff together for the evening and then getting into MK just to head to "dinner".

I guess that would be considered our "break" for the day. We'd be spending our morning at HS and our evening at MK regardless.

I'd really like a 5 pm or later....gonna keep trying! I think the problem is it's a party night so people not attending the party but wanting to eat in the park are cramming their ressies into the 4-6pm time period and the later dining is limited to party dining at only a few places.

We are leaving HS after our Sci Fi lunch and heading to MK in the afternoon no matter what as we will be attending MVMCP. (DVC members get in at 2:00 and we are AP holders too, so park admission prior to party time is irrelevant).

But yes, it seems we would be leaving Sci Fi, walking back to Boardwalk to get our stuff together for the evening and then getting into MK just to head to "dinner".

I guess that would be considered our "break" for the day. We'd be spending our morning at HS and our evening at MK regardless.

I'd really like a 5 pm or later....gonna keep trying! I think the problem is it's a party night so people not attending the party but wanting to eat in the park are cramming their ressies into the 4-6pm time period and the later dining is limited to party dining at only a few places.
What about looking at one of the Magic Kingdom resorts for dinner. If you want to get into the park at 2 you could spend a few hours then hop the monorail go eat and then go back for the party. They'll probably have a lot more availability.

Not sure what your dates are, but I'd keep trying to move SC to a (much) later time. If you're not going at a peak time I'd even consider trying to walk up SC. I've not eaten there, but every time I've walked past it they don't seem busy(not during a peak travel time.)

I think I'll hold on to both of these, but try to change them one last time the day or 2 before. If I don't have them spaced better, I will cancel SC. My daughter will kill me if I cancel Sci Fi. lol

On party nights the park closes at 6PM so Guests already are working with a shorter park schedule. Rather than lose already reduced park time on dinner, they schedule dinner later in the day to maximize their schedule.

I would cancel Skippers and have dinner at a quick serve to reduce stress. If you want a nice break, head to the Grand and see if dinenr is available at Grand Floridian Cafe, relax and then go to the park.

When trying to modify a ADR... you really have to check constantly... like every couple of hours or every hour, keep checking right up till the day before and if you can't make the switch then cancel. Make sure to cancel one the day before so you don't get charged the 10 per person for a no show...

Thanks all!

My problem was solved when I found out yesterday my MVMCP date had sold out! I was planning on buying the tix today.

So, I'm now going a different day, can keep my Sci Fi and was able to get a Skipper's Canteen on the new party day. Have to move a few things around, but all in all, it just may end up better than my original plans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!