How bad is Mission Space - orange?

I love roller coasters, but spinny-rides aren't a favorite now in my middle age like they were in my youth.

Similar demographic and disposition (my son has fond memories of making me turn green on the tea cups at Disneyland in 2012) but... I haven't had an issue with the Orange side of Mission Space. The constant "are you sure you want to do this? we have this perfectly fine green side if you want" prompts are probably the most unnerving bit. "Okay, you asked me when I came in... again, at the half way marker... and now just before getting on the ride... I feel like there's something you're not telling me..."

I've done it 3 times over two trips with no adverse effects but I also make sure that I'm looking straight ahead at the screen. For me, it's very much an "in the moment" kind of ride, where I'm hyper aware of how I'm feeling during the various points like the launch ("okay, that's what if feels like to have my face pushed into the back of the seat... and, now I'm really light headed"), the float ("that's kind of cool") and final descent onto Mars ("oh, so that's what disappointment feels like... it didn't matter if I pushed the buttons or not.").

My scariest time on it was watching the couple in front of me in line chug two beers rather than throw them in the trash can and then being paired with them in an enclosed centrifuge capsule. I'm going to say that ramped up my anxiety levels to an 11 and I chronicled that experience in another thread on whether it was a good idea to ride Mission Space: Orange after a few drinks. (Spoiler alert: No)

The only real sensation you feel is G forces mostly in the chest area. It's such a great ride! I like to close my eyes for that brief moment in hyper-sleep and then when the alarm goes off I start flipping buttons and toggle switches as if I know what I'm doing, and then I grab the joystick and guide us in and save the day. I realize everyone has a
joy-stick, but it's me that made that landing. :snooty:

Last edited:
Reactions: dol
I just can't bring up the courage to do the Orange side. My partner does it but he did note that once he saw a pile of vomit on the way out. I was a bit dizzy the first time I did Green but I got used to it and now no issues. These tales of having to leave the park are alarming!

seriously don't do it... I'm pretty good on most everything, I got off that and was so sick for at least two hours after. It ruined my last night in Disney, we left Epcot and even being on the skyliner to get back to the Riviera was a struggle. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Similar demographic and disposition (my son has fond memories of making me turn green on the tea cups at Disneyland in 2012) but... I haven't had an issue with the Orange side of Mission Space. The constant "are you sure you want to do this? we have this perfectly fine green side if you want" prompts are probably the most unnerving bit. "Okay, you asked me when I came in... again, at the half way marker... and now just before getting on the ride... I feel like there's something you're not telling me..."

I've done it 3 times over two trips with no adverse effects but I also make sure that I'm looking straight ahead at the screen. For me, it's very much an "in the moment" kind of ride, where I'm hyper aware of how I'm feeling during the various points like the launch ("okay, that's what if feels like to have my face pushed into the back of the seat... and, now I'm really light headed"), the float ("that's kind of cool") and final descent onto Mars ("oh, so that's what disappointment feels like... it didn't matter if I pushed the buttons or not.").

My scariest time on it was watching the couple in front of me in line chug two beers rather than throw them in the trash can and then being paired with them in an enclosed centrifuge capsule. I'm going to say that ramped up my anxiety levels to an 11 and I chronicled that experience in another thread on whether it was a good idea to ride Mission Space: Orange after a few drinks. (Spoiler alert: No)

If spinning makes you at all nauseous, don’t do it. I reluctantly rode it with my daughter before green team existed, and it ruined me for the rest of the day, culminating in throwing up in the bathroom at Akershus. My daughters, on the other hand, love it.

If you spinning bothers you at all...like even the tiniest bit...I wouldn’t do it. DH felt like straight up garbage afterward—he does all coasters but no tea cups and thought he would try. I also felt pretty gross after—neither of us wanted to eat or drink anything which was a bummer in Epcot! Never again.

I rode MS when there wasn't even a "green" side, and I really didn't know what to expect.
I have to be honest and say I was dizzy and nauseated through the whole thing, and didn't care less if I pushed the "right" button or not. I should have known when the barf bags are prominent. After the ride, I had to sit down due to dizziness and nausea. I felt that way for the rest of the afternoon.
So, NO, I would not recommend it at all. I won't even try the green side because of this bad experience on Orange.
I am not one of those people who get sick on rides and this has never happened before and I do all the coaster rides.

I second this! I was 12 when I rode MS, there weren’t 2 options at that point yet and I LOVE spinning rides. This ride made me not feel right for the rest of the day. It was a one and done for me. But we are going now in september and I know my son will want to ride so I am willing to try the green. But I won’t do the orange again.

I LOVE rollercoasters, free-fall type rides and went on the orange side when I was about 37...this ride : NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN . Our whole party was nauseated and we are all thrill seekers! one and done for all of us!

I think the number of people getting sick is not as high as it seems, simply because people that ride it and feel fine do not feel the need to let everyone know it did not bother them, where people that ride it and get sick are more likely to point it out. Simple human nature.
I think this is a good point. It was a go to ride for me every trip, starting way before they had green and orange. I thoroughly enjoyed it not knowing there was a possibility anyone could have an issue. Never bothered me and I just moved on to the next ride not knowing any different. My wife just informed me she had a little motion sickness.
Like others have said, it really boils down to your tolerance for motion and claustrophobia.
EDIT: One suggestion is to make sure you stay off if you have any sinus/ear issues at the time. That can exacerbate any motion sickness.

MS is not anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. I wouldn't do it if I had an inner ear condition or anything, but really, it can bring a little tearing in the eyes (due to trying not to close them as suggested & a fan blowing in your face). It can cause a touch of mild disorientation for a few minutes as you walk down the exit hallway, but I am always just fine when I reach the gift shop. You'll be fine... Seriously, follow the instructions - face forward - don't look sideways and don't close your eyes (I have since discovered that blinking quickly won't hurt - You won't even know you are actually spinning).

Keep your head back, look straight ahead, and suck on a piece of hard candy or mint. It's not bad at all IMO but I have been on with people who felt fairly sick after for a while (but that might have been food from lunch).

Keep your head back, look straight ahead, and suck on a piece of hard candy or mint. It's not bad at all IMO but I have been on with people who felt fairly sick after for a while (but that might have been food from lunch).
Yeah, the tip I read here/elsewhere to look straight ahead at the screen and don't close your eyes saved me from vomiting. Still didn't feel great but kept me from going over the edge.

I am so claustrophobic I swore I would never ride this ride. My 12 yr old daughter at the time talked me into riding. She was sick to her stomach after and refuses to ride it again to this day. I love it! The orange side is my favorite side to ride. The green is ok.

my husband said make sure you stare directly at the screen and we hadn't eaten either and I still felt like death. I've been on the Simpson's ride in USO and felt fine after that, but MS, no bueno.

I used to ride green for years. I was okay with it. Not great, but okay. I finally tried orange maybe six years ago? NEVER AGAIN!!!! OMG - I was so sick for the rest of the day. If you're on the fence, DON'T DO IT! Or take some dramamine about a half hour before? It's brutal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter