How bad is July really?

WDW vet here that took the family to DL in July 2011. Was really worried about crowds but find it more than manageable. Key is to get there early, take an afternoon break, and stay late.

And as Hydro said, to a WDW vet, DL "feels" a lot more crowded than it actually is.

And as Hydro said, to a WDW vet, DL "feels" a lot more crowded than it actually is.

Agreed. And also agree with Hydro's mention that the construction at DCA made the situation much worse in 2011.

But for many of us, especially those who arrive early and use FP well, the worst part of crowds isn't the lines at the attractions. Those are marginalized by our awesomeness at touring. :)

The worst part is just the feeling of having too many people around you in every direction, at all times. For me, I spent three days feeling stressed out all day because of the hordes of people, feeling like I couldn't ever see more than two yards ahead of me. Just too much. For me (and I grew up eight miles from DL and am much more a DL "vet" than a WDW vet), feeling crowded equals being crowded and makes it much less fun.

For the record, one of my kids is on board with my impression, whereas my husband and two other kids would happily face the summer again, since all they remember is 16 hours every day to ride and ride and ride...the crowds don't bother them.

I can handle the crowds. I don't like the heat. Now I can handle the heat ok. It doesn't cause me any health issues but I hate it. If I can avoid being out in the heat all day than I am going to do that.

I've only been to DL in July once and that was when DGF (now my wife) and I unknowingly showed up on the DL 50th anniversary celebration in 05. It was well into the 90s and super crowded. And we had no clue how to tour DL (was my first time at DL in 20 years and DGFs first time in 10). We were complete ametuers when it came to touring the parks. But we still had a great time. But since then we have gone before the heat gets bad. Love Jan weather and also had a great time in late May this year. the Weather was fantastic last trip in the 70s the whole time. I think we hit 80 for part of one day. Not bad at all.

How is the last week of July with weather & Crowds vs the week of July 4th & the days after?

We went July 2012. Cars Land was new so that might have helped and although the parks were hopping and busy it was so not what I thought. I thought it was going to be horrible. We stayed off site but did a package through wd travel and we went one morning early which was awesome. We used ride max and I would totally do that again. Plus the park is open so early and closes so late we did everything and more that we wanted. I was so surprised. I am totally not scared to go again in the summer. We had 4 days in the park though so that might make a difference to someone that has a day or two.

We went in July of 2011. We had 4 adults and 4 children and we found it fine. If you get there at rope drop and work the fastpass system it won't be a problem. We didn't wait longer than 15 minutes for any rides. However, it can feel really crowded. I would just dread it if we had to walk through Adventureland, it was always bottle neck. The good thing about July is longer hours, so we'd go for rope drop, leave around 1 or 2 when it was getting really crowded, and then come back in the evening.

ETA: The conference is at the Disneyland Hotel, with a conference rate of $174 so a pretty good deal!

I'd be all over that rate and normally I wouldn't do summertime. Do what you said: early entry, FP, rest/swim break, go back for more in the evenings. As Hydroguy's thread will tell you, if you go off season to DL (which we do) it's trickier since a lot of the entertainment schedule is limited to weekends and the park hours are shortened which can mean not as much time to get things done. I'd make it work! :)

We were thinking about arriving on July 5th but it being our first trip & so close to July 4th crowds, we were able to make our airline reservations at a decent price with SW rewards included from July 9th-July 16th. So it gives a few days after July 4th before we arrive. I hope we made a good choice of weeks.:goodvibes

Magalex said:
We were thinking about arriving on July 5th but it being our first trip & so close to July 4th crowds, we were able to make our airline reservations at a decent price with SW rewards included from July 9th-July 16th. So it gives a few days after July 4th before we arrive. I hope we made a good choice of weeks.:goodvibes

We are looking at the 7th-14th right now but airfare is outrageous!! SW was $2200 for the 4 of us!

July is fine. Summertime gives you the full assortment of Parades, Fireworks, Fantasmic!, and World of Color plus all the extra stuff. It does get busy in the afternoon but if you go in the morning and then take a break and come back in the evening you will be fine. Disneyland is weird in that in the morning you can accomplish all of Fantasyland before it will open to the rest of the park on Magic Mornings. It's really a different animal compared to WDW. We love Disneyland!

jimandami said:
Hi all! We are WDW regulars but have never been to DL. Next year, we have the choice of attending a work conference either in July at DL or in early Dec at WDW. This trip would be our big family trip for the year so we can only do one or the other. For a little background, DH and I have a DS8 and DD3 so they would be 4 and 9 at the time of the trip. We have been to WDW probably 8-9 times in the last 5-6 years and we absolutely love it. We do want to experience DL at least once so this seems like a great time, but the thing that is making me hesitate is that the DL conference is in July. We are a non-peak time family (always take the kids out of school for a week so we can go at non-peak times) and truthfully, our trip this Sept to WDW was pushing it as far as crowds go. So, how busy is DL in July? I mean, I know it will be busy, but are we talking 90-120 minute waits for everything? Or is it doable if you get up early, hit rope drop and use fastpasses? Any info or personal stories would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ami

ETA: The conference is at the Disneyland Hotel, with a conference rate of $174 so a pretty good deal!

We also only do WDW during off season but did DL last July. Really was not bad at all. Had some wait but with the nice weather it was not bad. Would do it again.

But in 2011 we wanted to take a family vacation to California and I really wanted to do a few DL days while we were there. I researched on this board, and read all the comments saying it "wasn't that bad," and we went for it. We went in early August, mid-week before the blackout days ended.

In the past members have reported that the period in August just before blockouts lift can be more crowded than usual. That's not the case in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter