How bad does LA Unified spring break make DLR crowds? April 4-7 crowds

imjen

DIS Veteran
I have read in a couple places that the worst spring break week is going to be April 1-9 because LA Unified district has spring break then. Did anyone go during their spring break last year (April 8-16)? How bad were the lines for rides and food? We are debating going for 2-3 days between April 4-7. Will any of the days be better than another? Or would you go in July instead?

Is there usually nighttime entertainment (Fantasmic, WOC, fireworks) on weeknights during spring break?

Thanks for your help!

I was there during spring break last year, and crowds weren’t too bad honestly. Had a 4-day hopper and both parks were busy but not packed to the brim. Weather was nice too which helped, and G+ is useful. On one of the nights we managed to stay until around 1245 am and space was our last ride, and the wait was still 40 mins even at park closing, but I’m not sure if this is normal, considering every other ride only had about a 10-15 wait at that point! I would say it’s definitely busier than say middle of janruary, but not as busy as october is now!! The middle of the week was a bit slower, but not too noticeable, and I believe all the shows were running at that time. If you know how to maneuver, I’m sure you’ll do just fine, and even better if you like to stay out late!

We've been during that week, but not in 2022.
Maybe worth factoring in: That period in 2022 I think the parks were still reduced capacity. The official numbers were not really disclosed but the whisper percentages were out there. I recall there was also a daily trend, due to lack of nighttime entertainment, for APs to head home in the early evening. Hopefully some regulars/APs with good memories will fill in the blanks here.

It might be fun to check out some popular Vlogs on Youtube. Go back in their videos chronologically and see what you can find from that week 2019, 18, 17. That might give you a good visual of what to expect this year.

Either way, it's gonna be busy (both weeks). Just need a plan for effective touring. There was a recent thread where most people chose April > July, I think. Lots of comments about the weather being more enjoyable. Makes sense. :thumbsup2

That week is also spring break for Capistrano USD (Orange County) and Irvine Unified (traditional only, not year round).

Three of the four Magic Keys are blocked, but the SoCal resident three-day tickets are not blocked out.

I was there with DS (7) during LA's break last year and we'll be there again this year with the whole family. Last year was busy but not horrible - better than WDW even during non-peak times. We were able to easily do everything we wanted to (using a sensible plan and Genie+) and never had terrible waits. The longest wait we had was to meet Raya at the Redwood Challenge Trail, but that was a bucket list item for DS and the only character we met on that trip (he's not into repeat character meets).

I was there with DS (7) during LA's break last year and we'll be there again this year with the whole family. Last year was busy but not horrible - better than WDW even during non-peak times. We were able to easily do everything we wanted to (using a sensible plan and Genie+) and never had terrible waits. The longest wait we had was to meet Raya at the Redwood Challenge Trail, but that was a bucket list item for DS and the only character we met on that trip (he's not into repeat character meets).
Meeting Raya is important to us, too. Do you remember how long you waited to meet her?

Thank you! Do you remember if there were nighttime shows on the weeknights?

Meeting Raya is important to us, too. Do you remember how long you waited to meet her?
About 35-40 minutes. We got there before her meeting time started and she took a break when we were close to the front of the line, so that added to the wait time. She was fantastic and took her time with each group - it was a highlight for DS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter