How accurate is Google Maps...

backinoz

Mouseketeer
How accurate is Google Maps for driving times between destinations? Is there another site (Mapquest?) which is more accurate/realistic?

I'm talking about longer distance stuff - WDW to near Jacksonville NC (10 & 1/2 hours is what's quoted, which is fine for us) - and a short trip from WDW to Kennedy Space Centre? Just wanted to know if I need to add time for refuelling (both for the car and us), rest stops etc.

Thankx in advance for your help!

How accurate is Google Maps for driving times between destinations? Is there another site (Mapquest?) which is more accurate/realistic?

I'm talking about longer distance stuff - WDW to near Jacksonville NC (10 & 1/2 hours is what's quoted, which is fine for us) - and a short trip from WDW to Kennedy Space Centre? Just wanted to know if I need to add time for refuelling (both for the car and us), rest stops etc.

Thankx in advance for your help!

We usually use mapquest when trying to estimate time and I think it's pretty accurate. Just keep in mind that the times they give are based on driving the speed limit so if you drive slower, faster, stop a lot, or run into a traffic jam all these factors will affect accuracy.

We usually use mapquest when trying to estimate time and I think it's pretty accurate. Just keep in mind that the times they give are based on driving the speed limit so if you drive slower, faster, stop a lot, or run into a traffic jam all these factors will affect accuracy.
I believe Google can figure in traffic as well... (not 100% sure how accurate it is though)

I have used a number of mapping services and use google map almost exclusively. I have not seen too big a difference between the big ones. I like googles features over it's competition. As far as accuracy, they all seem to be pretty close given similar routes.

I use a program called Microsoft Streets and Trips which allows me to enter my average speed for various types of roads and calculates the time based on that.

Lets say it will take you about 1hr 15mins to get to 95, then its 520 miles from there. Divide miles by speed and you get your time. :)

...for my speeds it says 8hrs 15mins from Jacksonville, NC to Disney World

Don't forget to check along your routes for road construction and other slow downs.

Most State DOT's have that information on Websites. For instance there has been a lot of construction on I-95 between Savanna and the Florida state line which can slow traffic somewhat.

Yes you should make allowances for time for refueling, bathroom breaks, and heavy traffic slow downs, especially on I-95 and I-4. Try to avoid the major city areas during the "rush hour" times.

I think a drive from Jacksonville to MCO in a day is doable.

I think that Google is pretty accurate. It does give times for speed limit driving. We tend to drive 5-10 mph faster (or more) and we feel that gives us the wiggle room for fuel and food stops, so we stay pretty much on the time they say.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter