Housewarming gift- what did I end up getting?

When DH and I bought our first house, most people gave us gift cards which was appreciated. There's tons of expenses while getting set up in a new place. I think he lived at Home Depot and I lived at places like At Home and Homegoods for the first few months.

When we got our first apartment, my parents bought us a grill which was a good gift. It was something we used frequently, but was expensive enough where it wasn't a priority for us to buy right away. It sounds like they may have limited outdoor space, but if there's any kind of communal space they can hang out in, there are also electric grills by many different gas grill manufacturers that are more practical for apartment living. We just got a George Foreman one for our boat dock that has a detachable stand on it, which allows us to use it table top or to stand it up like a typical grill. It was pretty inexpensive.

When DH and I bought our first house, most people gave us gift cards which was appreciated. There's tons of expenses while getting set up in a new place. I think he lived at Home Depot and I lived at places like At Home and Homegoods for the first few months.

When we got our first apartment, my parents bought us a grill which was a good gift. It was something we used frequently, but was expensive enough where it wasn't a priority for us to buy right away. It sounds like they may have limited outdoor space, but if there's any kind of communal space they can hang out in, there are also electric grills by many different gas grill manufacturers that are more practical for apartment living. We just got a George Foreman one for our boat dock that has a detachable stand on it, which allows us to use it table top or to stand it up like a typical grill. It was pretty inexpensive.
I still remember our first grill in our apt. It was small, like the type you’d take to the beach, and it took a small propane canister, but it was on a stand and we loved it! We had a small porch and it was so nice to be able to grill out there! I had never had a grill before!

So, I ended up buying....

Tylenol, Advil, Neosporin, gauze, tape, and Lysol wipes.

My daughter burned her hand on an element this afternoon and so she went to the er just to get it checked out. It’s going to heal just fine but they didn’t have any pain relievers or gauze so I stocked their medicine cabinet for them.

great gift! i made a med kit for dd's first apartment as well-got a fun metal lunchbox and filled it with the stuff you mentioned along with imodium, pepsid and a few other things. she thought it was kind of nutty when i included a cool mist humidifier and some vicks strips with it UNTIL she had her first nasty head cold:rolleyes1

So, I ended up buying....

Tylenol, Advil, Neosporin, gauze, tape, and Lysol wipes.

My daughter burned her hand on an element this afternoon and so she went to the er just to get it checked out. It’s going to heal just fine but they didn’t have any pain relievers or gauze so I stocked their medicine cabinet for them.

A first aid kit is a must! I sliced my hand on plastic packaging when moving into my new house and we hadn't brought any sort of medical supplies over yet. Thankfully I always have bandaids in my purse or it would've had to be wrapped in toilet paper. I made sure to bring a kit over the next time we went to the house.

Thanks Kim. We’ll check out Shoppers. Good idea on the first aid kit. I did that when one of my daughters moved to BC. I sent her a thermometer, heating pad, and meds. 👍

I know you settled on something but I thought I’d contribute in case anyone pulls this thread up when looking for ideas.

I took my DD to Target and stocked up on cleaning supplies and paper products like paper towels, toilet paper (man, did she thank me a few weeks later!) and paper plates. Then we hit up Winco and stocked up on basic seasonings like salt & pepper, garlic powder, paprika, Lawry’s etc. As they were packing up the truck DD mentioned to DH they’d need to stop for a light 3 step ladder. I just told her to take mine and I’d grab another next Target trip. You have no idea how many times I needed it (I’m short!) in the week it took before I got a new one.

When she came home for a quick two days things like wipes, TP, thermometers and Tylenol were already in short supply in Washington even though there were only like 100 cases at the time so I grabbed those to send back. In hindsight I wish I had grabbed myself wipes!

Batteries- something neither of us thought of.

Now I’m wondering; does she have bandaids and neosporin? It seems like something I would pick up and tell her to add to her things but I can’t remember. Adding to the list of things to send as well as a flashlight and fire extinguisher. Thanks for those ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter