Hotels 2-3 hours North of Disney?

Melani

"keep moving forward"
We drive down from Alabama. From Pensacola, FL to Gainesville or Jacksonville then turn south to Orlando.

We'd like to stay somewhere cheap, but safe about 3 hours away.

Any suggestions? I've tried entering several city names I found on the map, into a travel site, but it's very hit or miss & tedious.

I don't think you'll find much at 3 hours from Orlando, though if you push back to about 4 hours you'd probably be around Tallahassee and Lake City is about 2 1/2 hours away. You should be able to find nice near either of these cities. For commercial rates take a look at www.hotels.com or expedia or travelocity. You should be able to find two-star rated hotels in the $50 to $80 range and three-star at $90 to $100 or so.

If you want to try for cheaper rates, I'd suggest that you look into Priceline or Hotwire for hotels in those areas. Both typically deal with reliable chains. I've seen people report getting 3 star hotels in those areas in the $43 to $70 range on Priceline over the past several months.

Dick Taylor

We drive down from Alabama. From Pensacola, FL to Gainesville or Jacksonville then turn south to Orlando.

May I ask why you would drive across the state from Pensacola to Gainesville then over to Jacksonville to go south to Orlando? Are you going to Jacksonville for a reason? If not, I suggest you head south on I-75 and maybe stay somewhere near ClearWater.. not 3 to 4 hours away though but a nice place to stay on the Gulf Coast side and has beautiful beaches.. it is just north of Tampa...

We're here at the Gulf. Can see it any time.

We usually turn near Lake City onto 75, just sometimes we get bored and go on through to Jacksonville.

I am in Pensacola so I am doing the same drive as you. We get on 75 and go south. Our plan for our next trip is to stop for the night a few hours away. I was talking to my Dad today about it. He is a truck driver and was headed to Orlando this morning. He said to stop in Wildewood on 75. I am just looking for a cheap, safe place to sleep before finishing the drive to Orlando. We cannot leave until later in the day and after working we don't want to do the whole drive at once. Wildewood is right before the Florida Turnpike. So it is only about an hour and half, maybe two hours, from Disney. That is our plan anyway.

You would definitely want to take I-10 to I-75. It saves you a great deal of time. Tallahassee is 3 1/2 hours away and Lake City is about 2 to 2 hrs 15 mins. away. Tallahassee has numerous hotels, I would recommend stopping at Exit 203, which is the Capitol Circle/Thomasville Road exit. There is a Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, and Hilton Garden Inn at this exit. It is well lit, the nicer area of town, and every hotel is very convenient to I-10. There are also plenty of places for food and gas.

In Lake City, I would get off at the Highway 90 Exit, and stay at either the brand new Fairfield Inn by Marriott, or the Hampton Inn & Suites.

Gainesville has decent hotels right off of 75 too, but at that point, your only 1 1/2 hours away and I would just keep going from there.

Worm,, Wildwood is right at the I-75/Fla. Turnpike Apex. You are only 50 miles from Orlando at this stop and is no more than 40-45 mins. in to Orlando from there. I would either stop further north to justify staying the night on the road or just drive on down to Orlando from there. Its free advice, take it how you will :)

Hope that helps!

thanks for the advice Matt. I feel the same way but boyfriend wants to only do a partial drive. I figure this gets me closer. We are staying on property and I don't want to pay Disney rates the first night. This is on the way but not out of the way. And I know I won't get lost. :rotfl: I do get lost a lot.

Do you have any suggestions on a place in Wildewood for me?

Honestly, I wouldnt recommend anywhere in Wildwood. I would recommend staying up in Ocala, which is about 20 miles north of Wildwood/The Turnpike. At Exit 350 (SR 200) in Ocala, I know for sure that there is a Courtyard by Marriott, a Hampton Inn & Suites, and a Hilton. This just seems to be a little nicer exit/area with more hotel choices, and plenty of places to get gas and have dinner/breakfast. The Turnpike is Exit 328 so you are close.

Still though, I would recommend just driving down to Orlando. You can get good rates on hotels very close to Disney, and you will be there, which is worth a lot to me. Try to talk him in to it. I would be more than happy to help look for rooms for that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter