Hotel & Tickets Separate vs. Vacation Package?

The last time this came up, I checked prices, and it was cheaper for the package. I think it was a package through Costco, though.

And what I looked at showed a change/cancel policy that was totally fine.

So things might be changing.

But do the math. Read the policies. KNOW what you’re getting.

Drives me nutty that the packages give you a reservation at 3B and LC. Those are counter service places. It’s mystifying. And you’re paying the cost anyway.

But if the total cost is better and the policies are fine, then there’s no reason not to.
I agree - I found a much better deal with a Costco package. Since my reservation I've checked different dates, and rooms come on/go off, sometimes a Bay View King is $250 "less" or $250 "more" for the package - it just depends on what they are offering. Here are my prices, broken down for August 15-20th, for 2 adults:
Total Cost of Package2,693.23
Cost of Flights, including taxes/fees (from Boston)516.44
Cost of Tickets724.2
Cost of Hotel Including Tax (Portofino Bay, King Bay View)1452.59
Cost of Hotel Per Night, Including Tax
Hotel cost per night, pre tax
Tax on Hotel Room, per night
Total Check2693.23
The only reason I know the "Cost of Flights" is because Costco takes the cost of of the flights + $100 as a deposit. The Cost of Tickets I figured is the cost I see on the Universal site. (I know that I could pay less for tix with UT.) That being said, the cost per night is a LOT less than available on the Universal Studios site. Also, I receive back a Costco "cash back" card, as well as 2% and 3% for my credit card and my membership.

You might want to look at Costco Travel, and also price hotels with one annual pass - if it is during school vacation week, you may not get a discount, but who knows?

Last edited:
We are going in November and being the Type A planner, I budgeted it out four ways (separate, Universal package, Costco package, and UT sort-of-package) and went with the cheapest option (which for us was buying separate). I would advocate for doing the math, but also don't drive yourself too crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter