• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hot chocolate as a fish Extender gift?

Melsbells5678

Hi, I'm new here °○°
Hello! We're on a December Dream cruise. As part of our FE exchange, I wanted to gift sealed plastic "test tubes" of hot chocolate powder, creamer powder and mini marshmallows so you can just add hot water later for one cup. The tubes have a screw lid to keep things sealed. Will I be allowed to bring these on board? They will be in a mesh gift bag with other stuff. Thanks!

Hello! We're on a December Dream cruise. As part of our FE exchange, I wanted to gift sealed plastic "test tubes" of hot chocolate powder, creamer powder and mini marshmallows so you can just add hot water later for one cup. The tubes have a screw lid to keep things sealed. Will I be allowed to bring these on board? They will be in a mesh gift bag with other stuff. Thanks!
Personally? I would toss a food/beverage product that was not FACTORY SEALED. Way too much risk for something not.
That, plus, you can get hot chocolate (mix) at the drink stations.

If you really had your heart set on it and it's a special hot chocolate, make some labels with Avery (or Staples) mailing labels, get your test tubes ready, bring a funnel and a sealed tin of the hot chocolate and put it together on board.

If you really had your heart set on it and it's a special hot chocolate, make some labels with Avery (or Staples) mailing labels, get your test tubes ready, bring a funnel and a sealed tin of the hot chocolate and put it together on board.
Still doesn't pass the "smell test" for unsealed food products from, basically, random strangers. Or anyone else, who could lift if from a FE, refill with whatever, and replace.

Still doesn't pass the "smell test" for unsealed food products from, basically, random strangers. Or anyone else, who could lift if from a FE, refill with whatever, and replace.

Exactly! It kinda makes me go “Huh...” when people are all about homemade food/beverage stuff for FEs but won’t touch the shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in the large pump bottles because “someone might do something to it!”.

Note: Not saying the OP has said that about the toiletries- but there are definitely some who contradict that way!

Food allergy issues aside, we would garbage any food, beverage, cosmetic or similar item we received that is not commercially packaged and factory sealed with adequate ingredient labelling. Basically, same rules as Halloween. Doesn't matter if you put your name and stateroom on a little label or not.

As other posters have noted, homemade foods are prohibited to bring on board.

And hot chocolate packets and hot water are free on board at multiple locations, including the 24/7 drink station on the pool deck.

SW

I do think this gift is doable if you got factory sealed packages of everything. They do sell small packets of nice hot cocoa with special flavors (eg salted caramel/mint/raspberry) that could be a fun upgrade from the cocoa on board. Plus you can get factory sealed individual packets of creamer and marshmallows. Like others, I am not comfortable eating (or giving my kids) homemade food items prepare by a stranger.

A nice way to upgrade the gift and make it even more distinguishable from the free cocoa on board might be to include one disney-themed or hand decorated travel mug per stateroom.

True, but it would be the same as if she put it together at home. People will either enjoy it or not want to try it for that reason.

if you have your heart set on this get the land-o-lakes cocoa packets - they have many flavors and we get them for a special treat in winter. package them up with 1 oz sealed bags of mini marshmallows available on amazon and maybe a sealed candy cane. put it in a gift bag rather than a test tube. Super cute and themed for christmas and all factory sealed. I don't think you need additional creamer for those fancy cocoas, they are very creamy - there is a lot more stuff in those packets than the standard ones.

Well, we pass on all of the food items we get in Fish Extenders, because on a cruise, who needs them?

Last edited:
While it gets an A for good intention, I would immediately trash homemade food items. I'm sure there is a way to tweak your idea. Perhaps an upgraded hot chocolate brand packet, Ghirardelli's with a candy cane for stirrer and a some sort of disposable cup. If going "adult" add a mini bottle of peppermint something.

Also while I'm fairly certain it would get by security, the OP would technically be against the rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter