Hoop-De-Do Review -- great fun! (m)

queenmum2

Mouseketeer
I had planned and booked this show months in advance -- way back when my Dad announced that he and DSM would join us in Disney to celebrate his birthday. His b-day isn't until November, but this was to be her present to him. The plan was that they would stay with her son in Winter Park, join us for 2 days in the parks and for several meals also. She asked me to figure out a good place to celebrate his b-day. Hoop-De-Do seemed to fit the bill.

Now, as things turned out, Dad got sick on the way down so they didn't get to do anything in the parks with us - or any other meals. But this show was at the end of our week so he aimed to get on his feet in time for it...and he did. WHEW!

So on to the show and food:

We entered at the sound of the dinner bell and were promptly introduced to Dallas who was to seat us. As we followed him closer and closer to the stage, I got excited. Prime seats! --- uh - then again - NOT prime seats. We were in the first table to the left of the stage. A barrel was right in front of us. As it turned out, our seats were "ok" -- there were things that we didn't see well at all. But we did feel like part of the show.

The food started coming out - first salad and cornbread - both were great. Then a bucket of chicken arrived. It was quite full and everyone who wanted chicken had enough. Corn arrived right after the chicken. It was pretty mushy but had a good flavor anyway. DSM really liked it - AND the chicken. Out came the ribs - just the thing Dad was waiting for. I was not at all impressed with them -- they were very tough. The sauce was flavorful, but I could barely get anything off the bone. The cowboy beans were fine.

So - lets see: The kids both ate chicken (DS had a wing, a leg and a thigh; DD had a leg and a thigh) and cornbread and salad. Both got ears of corn but didn't eat them (DS might have had a bite or two). Both sampled the cowboy beans but didn't eat them. Dad had ribs and salad. Had seconds on both. DH was suddenly unable to eat -- upset stomach -- but he managed to get a bit of salad, chicken and corn into him. DSM passed on ribs, but had some chicken, corn and beans, as well as salad and cornbread.

I tried some of everything - (see my comments above) and had plenty to eat.

Now - as I mentioned in a previous post, I am allergic to strawberries. My Dad is too. Well, the desert here is strawberry shortcake. I mentioned it to the waiter (i had also mentioned it when I made the ADR) who said he'd see what he could do. Deserts came out - 2 shortcakes to split 4 ways. Afterward, our server Alyn brought out icecream for my Dad and I.

I understand that the strawberry shortcake was really good.

As for the show - it was great fun for all. My kids were laughing throughout - as were my Dad and DSM (both 75). DH and I thoroughly enjoyed both the show and the joy it brought to the kids and grandparents.

It is a definite "do again".

Tracie

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Isn't this place just corny fun! We go every year- I originally didn't plan on it this year- but DH talked me into it again- the all you can drink beer don't hurt either :) My kids just love to "play music" at the end too!

How old are your kids? I have this booked for our Dec. trip, and from the reviews, it sounded perfect for my kids who love corny jokes. But they're only 7 and 5. Will they "get" it? Also, do you think it's entertaining enough that my 2 yo will sit through it? If not, I may stay behind with him and keep my 2 dining credits.

My twins were 2 the first time I took them- they sat through it fine. My twins were 3 last year and the baby was 1 1/2 and they all sat through it fine- actually- better than fine- they loved the noise and laughs and especially the washboard music.

wrldpossibility said:
How old are your kids? I have this booked for our Dec. trip, and from the reviews, it sounded perfect for my kids who love corny jokes. But they're only 7 and 5. Will they "get" it? Also, do you think it's entertaining enough that my 2 yo will sit through it? If not, I may stay behind with him and keep my 2 dining credits.

and while there were a few jokes that went over their heads, they laughed right along just because the delivery was funny (and because everyone else laughed).

HTH

Tracie

Thanks for sharing your info. :thumbsup2 We have this booked for our Dec. trip. This wll be on our last night so I thought what a way to end it.

We did HDDR in August and loved it. For those who have upcoming trips, enjoy. You will definately have a wonderful time. :goodvibes

Doing this for the first time on Dec 22nd. Can't wait. Thanks for the review. Sounds like Great Fun !!

Thanks for the great review!! We are considering this for our first ever trip to the World in May. Do you think it is worth the 2 TS credits?
Jolene :cheer2:

We love the HDDR, and usually hit it every trip, or at least every other trip.

Even though its the same show each time, somehow we usually enjoy it just as much as the first time. . . . although its just like most of your favorite restaurants - we've had great experiences there, good experiences there, and some that were just okay . . . . yet we keep going back.

And of course, if you have a HDDR "virgin" with you (of any age), it makes the experience just that much better ! Whether it's someone who "gets" the adult jokes (and is partaking of the all-you-care-to-drink wine or beer), or a child who just wants to make noise on the washboard, the HDDR is always fun. Corny, not at all sophisticated, but good fun.

My family enjoys taking the boat over from the Wilderness Lodge, and enjoying the FW property for a while prior to checking in to the show - it's a great way to just wind down, and converse with your family/friends without the distraction of rides, dump shops, etc.

It may not be every one's "cup of tea", but it is definitely worth a try !

We're going to this show during our March trip. The kids will be 6 and 9...sounds like good ages! I called right at the 180 mark to make ressies...hope we get some good seats! :teeth:

Thanks for sharing your review. Glad that your family enjoyed the show. :sunny:

:goodvibes
AllesonWonderland said:
We're going to this show during our March trip. The kids will be 6 and 9...sounds like good ages! I called right at the 180 mark to make ressies...hope we get some good seats! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter