Honey I Shrunk the Kids refurbishment

Always cracks me up on how little respect HIStKs get, that movie handedly beat the Little Mermaid at the box office which was also released in the same year. But everyone thinks all the Honey properties need to be updated to another slightly less obsolete movie which is a Bugs Life.
My kids love the playground, heck I even love the playground. They've only watched the movie a couple times but they like it and it's a good family movie.
FYI, they love Swiss Family and have watched that movie multiple times until Netflix took it away. More times than Tarzan (HISK and Bugs Life too I guess)...

Always cracks me up on how little respect HIStKs get, that movie handedly beat the Little Mermaid at the box office which was also released in the same year. But everyone thinks all the Honey properties need to be updated to another slightly less obsolete movie which is a Bugs Life.
My kids love the playground, heck I even love the playground. They've only watched the movie a couple times but they like it and it's a good family movie.
FYI, they love Swiss Family and have watched that movie multiple times until Netflix took it away. More times than Tarzan (HISK and Bugs Life too I guess)...

Ok...

But that movie realistically hasn't been given a second thought for 20 years...

It was fine for its given day... A cute movie they became a successful family franchise... But that time has passed.

Coincidentally... Full House was the number #1 rated show on TV around that era...

Anyone brought that up lately?

The playground was a huge hit with my kids last fall - ages 3, 5, 8, 10 at the time. I knew we'd be stopping by to pay the place a visit so I did this amazing thing a couple weeks before our trip... I showed them the movie Honey, I Shrunk the Kids!! ;) Seriously, not rocket science. I'm sure we're not alone in doping the kids up on Disney movies before a WDW trip. The HISTK movie is easy to come by. Target regularly has if for sale for $5 and Netflix has it too.

They loved the movie and they got a kick out of the playground.

Ok. I could show my kids the movie and, while they would get the concept, they still wouldn't know what a roll of film was or understand other props without explanation. The movie is dated. It was firmly planted in a certain time period. It is not a classic. In my opinion, it's not even good. So why hang on to it for the purpose of a playground for the youngest Disney fans?

Ok...

But that movie realistically hasn't been given a second thought for 20 years...

It was fine for its given day... A cute movie they became a successful family franchise... But that time has passed.

Coincidentally... Full House was the number #1 rated show on TV around that era...

Anyone brought that up lately?

Ok. I could show my kids the movie and, while they would get the concept, they still wouldn't know what a roll of film was or understand other props without explanation. The movie is dated. It was firmly planted in a certain time period. It is not a classic. In my opinion, it's not even good. So why hang on to it for the purpose of a playground for the youngest Disney fans?

Both of these. Being successful at the box office isn't an especially good indicator of sustained relevance.

The Wizard of Oz, for example, was not a success at the box office on initial release, but it most certainly remains relevant as a classic film.

The Little Mermaid was the first film of Disney's Rennaissance and as such did not perform like the films that followed. It has, however, become a revered favorite. If it had been released after Beauty and the Beast, it might have done better initially at the box office, but one of these films had to be first.

If we're to talk about Disney properties that deserve a place in the park, how about a contemporary of HISTK: Roger Rabbit.

I feel like this is a pretty common theme with the next gen of Disney kids... Same reason they rethemed Robinson treehouse to Tarzan? :confused:

They did? Oops, that won't make sense to my kids, we have read the Swiss Family Robinson, they don't know Tarzan at all.

The playground was a huge hit with my kids last fall - ages 3, 5, 8, 10 at the time. I knew we'd be stopping by to pay the place a visit so I did this amazing thing a couple weeks before our trip... I showed them the movie Honey, I Shrunk the Kids!! ;) Seriously, not rocket science. I'm sure we're not alone in doping the kids up on Disney movies before a WDW trip. The HISTK movie is easy to come by. Target regularly has if for sale for $5 and Netflix has it too.

They loved the movie and they got a kick out of the playground.

Yep, I have an entire movie schedule ready for the next couple of months. We re-watched The Little Mermaid today.

If we're to talk about Disney properties that deserve a place in the park, how about a contemporary of HISTK: Roger Rabbit.

Ick, one of my first dates was to see Roger Rabbit, I didn't see much of the movie because the guy was constantly trying to make out with me. NO ROGER RABBIT! ;)

Ick, one of my first dates was to see Roger Rabbit, I didn't see much of the movie because the guy was constantly trying to make out with me. NO ROGER RABBIT! ;)

Let's be honest. That wasn't Roger's fault. He's loyal to Jessica.

I feel like this is a pretty common theme with the next gen of Disney kids... Same reason they rethemed Robinson treehouse to Tarzan? :confused:

to keep these areas current, Disney should remake some of the old classics like honey I shrunk the kids and the old movies MK was themed around....like they used to with the sunday night movies...but remake them for the Disney channel and tie the attraction to it...kinda like prates but much lower budget....that would help a new generation appreciate the old attractions...plus if you look at the movies these days everyone is redoing old classics!!!

Am I the only one who sees honey turning into Andy's room from the toys perspective?

Am I the only one who sees honey turning into Andy's room from the toys perspective?

they already have space ranger spin and toy story mania, there are so many other movies to chose from I cant see them making another area toy story themed

Any news in which day this is reopening? We are scheduled to be there on the 18th and I think it's supposed to be in refurb for another day or two past that. We're hoping for an early reopen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter