Honey I Shrunk the Kids refurbishment

I just referenced this on the thread regarding the presence of the Osbourne lights past 2013. I think it is a bit intriguing with all the rumors concerning HS that this would be done now (if at all).

I wouldn't read anything at all into a playground refurb.

First, playground refurbs are relatively cheap. Second, wear and tear on playgrounds is MUCH more intense than on most attractions. Third, as my old torts professor used to say, the only thing worse than a dead baby is a maimed baby. Injured children make for expensive lawsuits. It's easier and cheaper to keep the playgrounds they play on well-maintained (which, in and of itself, is an excellent defense). Finally, the reason to do a refurb in that time frame is so that the playground is prepared for the larger holiday crowds that gather in that part of the park for the Osborne Lights. Even if a major DHS project gets underway, it won't take out that part of the park until after this year's Osborne Lights display, at least.

When we walked past it during our trip through DHS in June, it was empty. No one anywhere near it.

Then again, the same could almost have been said for the entire park, with the exception of Toy Story Movie Mania.

I understand they have to refurb the playground to make it safe due to potential lawsuits and to remain safe and all but 2 1/2 months?! Is that a typical refurb time length for a playground? Or is perhaps something else going on instead?

I understand they have to refurb the playground to make it safe due to potential lawsuits and to remain safe and all but 2 1/2 months?! Is that a typical refurb time length for a playground? Or is perhaps something else going on instead?

I'd love to see it rethemed for A Bug's Life. It's a bit outdated as is.

I was always wondering when they would re-theme it. I rather deal with no longer seeing Anty & an area theme to one of my favorite movies as a kid than deal with feeling old when I over hear a kid or teen not know what "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" was.

Bugs Life would be the cheapest convert since all they would need is cartoony props and giant figures of the characters or added Meet & Greet.

Sept 3- nov 19, right? We are going to be at HS on Nov 18 and my kids loved the playground more than anything in HS last time we visited. Does Disney ever finish these refurbs early or do they typically run long?

Dang it, this was one of the few things I thought my boys would love at HS. We completely skipped HS last year and I'm beginning to think we may do the same this year. :sad1:

A overhaul is needed. While our kids loved the playground when we went last week, the theming is totally lost on them. They have never heard of the movie. And, while they get that they are supposed to be tiny and everything else regular size, some of the props haven't really existed in their lifetime....like the roll of film. I wish it was more than general maintenance.

My kids enjoyed playing in there when we went in May but son has no idea what the movie is. I think it would work well for Bug's Life.

Sept 3- nov 19, right? We are going to be at HS on Nov 18 and my kids loved the playground more than anything in HS last time we visited. Does Disney ever finish these refurbs early or do they typically run long?

Hey, we will be at HS on November 18th too! See you there. ;)

My boys loved that park, I was a little bummed to see it out of commission this time, but I haven't been to Disney since September 2010 and we had a lot more down for rehab that time. We didn't even see the Star Wars stuff, it was closed. Almost didn't go back to HS since it was our least favorite park, but I really want to see Fantasmic this time - I didn't get to see it last time.

My kids enjoyed playing in there when we went in May but son has no idea what the movie is.

I feel like this is a pretty common theme with the next gen of Disney kids... Same reason they rethemed Robinson treehouse to Tarzan? :confused:

The playground was a huge hit with my kids last fall - ages 3, 5, 8, 10 at the time. I knew we'd be stopping by to pay the place a visit so I did this amazing thing a couple weeks before our trip... I showed them the movie Honey, I Shrunk the Kids!! ;) Seriously, not rocket science. I'm sure we're not alone in doping the kids up on Disney movies before a WDW trip. The HISTK movie is easy to come by. Target regularly has if for sale for $5 and Netflix has it too.

They loved the movie and they got a kick out of the playground.

I feel like this is a pretty common theme with the next gen of Disney kids... Same reason they rethemed Robinson treehouse to Tarzan? :confused:

The playground was a huge hit with my kids last fall - ages 3, 5, 8, 10 at the time. I knew we'd be stopping by to pay the place a visit so I did this amazing thing a couple weeks before our trip... I showed them the movie Honey, I Shrunk the Kids!! ;) Seriously, not rocket science. I'm sure we're not alone in doping the kids up on Disney movies before a WDW trip. The HISTK movie is easy to come by. Target regularly has if for sale for $5 and Netflix has it too.

They loved the movie and they got a kick out of the playground.

While I agree with both of these sentiments, I think Robinson's is certainly more of a classic film than Honey. I'd put Bugs Life ahead of Honey as well. Of course, I'm upset I missed Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter