• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Honest opinions wanted. Honestly!

It's a great idea. I assume that you'll deliver the bread so that means that they get a visit from you and your dd. It's like two gifts in one.

I wish I could "like" this comment! That's the exact same thought I had!

I wish someone would give me this gift! I think it's awesome, and I may steal the idea for my Grandpa. He is very hard to buy for, and wants nothing other than visits from us. I think he'd love some homemade bread from me, and the "Bread of the Month" club idea is so cute!

I think that is a great idea! I also have another idea that your parents may enjoy. Why not get them a grandparents memory journal? Give them each one and they fill them out with stories from their childhood/life and then give them to your DD for her have. Amazon has several to choose from and they are relatively cheap, about 15 bucks! They may enjoy it because it's actually a gift for their granddaughter :)

I think this is an awesome idea! I wish my parents lived closer so I could do something like this for them!

This is a very nice idea! Very thoughtful and honestly - more effort and meaning than buying any old item at a store.

Hopefully you can work in a dinner or two (or three) at your parents so they can enjoy the bread with dinner and you and your daughter's company as well!

Fanastic, wonderful and thoughtful idea!

I have to say you have given me inspiration for my inlaws...I may do a collection of dinner recipes delivered once a month. they lost their home in the storm and with no flood insurance..they need to rebuild with 28,000 from FEMA...It isn't going to be an easy year for them, but we too, have had a rough one, so this just may work out!

I thank you for posting this and wish you a very happy healthy holiday season!!!!

A Fabulous idea!!! If I were on the receiving end, I'd rather not choose the recipes. I would like to be surprised each month. Plus, if you come across another recipe you may like to try to bake for them you could. You've gotten some great ideas here. Maybe even add some type of poem or letter or history of the bread being made. I just love your idea.

I think you've gotten alot of us to rethink our gift giving too.:thumbsup2

I think it is one of the best ideas I've heard in awhile. I too am struggling with what to get my mom and dad, so I decided to make them each a scarf, give them a homemade cookie of the month coupon (I'll make them their favorite cookies), and a coupon booklet for generalized help (i.e., leaf raking, snow removal -- with son's help, painting, etc.). They have most everything they need and their wants are beyond my means this year (i.e., new leather couch).

karen

Bravo now this is what Christmas is all about! Loving, caring, nurturing and feeding loved ones and ones who need some love.:santa::santa::santa:

PammyK said:
What about this - make them a "coupon" for each recipe and put together a "coupon book" that they can redeem once a month for the kind that appeals to them that month. When they "redeem" each coupon, put it on a scrapbook page for that month that maybe includes a photo of your daughter and a little journal entry to tell them what they mean to you. You could maybe tie it in to the bread they choose. So a cranberry nut bread makes you thankful because you know you probably drove them nuts when you did xyz in the 7th grade but they still loved you anyway. Then, at the end of the year, give them the finished scrapbook.

Love this.

I am doing something similar (baking breads and other treats for all the parents/grandparents). I just wanted to add that I found some great flavored butter recipes on Pinterest that I am including with the breads. I think it is a great gift! :)

Haven't read any of the replies, but I don't think your idea sounds lame at all, not at all! It is a thoughtful gift from the heart and will take time to accomplish, those are the BEST gifts of all! Something your parents will appreciate each month. :) I think it's a WONDERFUL idea. I would LOVE something like that from our grown adult children!! :)

I think it is a fantastic idea. I would be thrilled for my kids to do that for me, once they get old enough.

I think the idea is lovely, and if anyone wants to do that for me I'd be happy to accept!

If it were me I'd do a coupon book with 'This coupon entitles you to one freshly baked loaf of bread, flavor of your choice, in the month of [month]'. I'd then put all the coupons together (staple is fine) and add a list of bread ideas that I can do. I love the cutting board idea, but it would also be sweet to just bake a loaf the day you'll see them (or day before) and add some compound butter in a jar that's nicely decorated and give it all to them in a nice basket or something.

(What comes to mind right now is the English Muffin bread and a strawberry butter....yummmmmmmm...can someone make one for me?? Pretty please? LOL)

My parents are pretty much the same. I love your idea so much that I think that I should finally buy myself that bread maker I've been wanting!! :rotfl2:

And :thumbsup2 to the poster who said that homemade gifts are the best. My parents have always told me that and as a mom myself I agree.

You are awesome!

Great idea! If you wanted something else how about adding freezer jam to put on the bread. I think your parents will love your idea.

So, I've come up with a possible Christmas gift for my parents this year but I'd like some opinions.

My parents have everything that they could want. They travel often and go out for dinner and a show whenever they feel like it. They are both in their mid 60s and are semi retired. They have told us they have no idea what they want, because if they want it they buy it whenever.

I am 36 and a single mom. I work in a crappy job where I don't earn a lot, but for various reasons this is what I choose to do. They know I don't have a lot of money to spend on Christmas and even if I did they'd rather I spent it on my daughter.

Enough of the background.. On to my great idea.

I have a bread maker and they enjoy it when I make a loaf of bread for them. What if I printed out 20 or so bread recipes and let them choose 12 so I could make them a loaf a month? I would choose recipes that I'm sure they would like such as cranberry or raisin.

Writing it out makes it seem kind of lame but I really think they would enjoy this. I'm starting to second guess myself so I am really, truly looking for honest opinions.

Thanks for reading.

....sorta like a "BoTM" club [bread-of-the-month] .....kewl; I LOVE it! :thumbsup2

photo_4000881_2827_3478120_ap_320x2401.jpg

[...it's the gift that keeps on giving....;) ]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter