Honest opinions wanted. Honestly!

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
So, I've come up with a possible Christmas gift for my parents this year but I'd like some opinions.

My parents have everything that they could want. They travel often and go out for dinner and a show whenever they feel like it. They are both in their mid 60s and are semi retired. They have told us they have no idea what they want, because if they want it they buy it whenever.

I am 36 and a single mom. I work in a crappy job where I don't earn a lot, but for various reasons this is what I choose to do. They know I don't have a lot of money to spend on Christmas and even if I did they'd rather I spent it on my daughter.

Enough of the background.. On to my great idea.

I have a bread maker and they enjoy it when I make a loaf of bread for them. What if I printed out 20 or so bread recipes and let them choose 12 so I could make them a loaf a month? I would choose recipes that I'm sure they would like such as cranberry or raisin.

Writing it out makes it seem kind of lame but I really think they would enjoy this. I'm starting to second guess myself so I am really, truly looking for honest opinions.

Thanks for reading.

I think it sounds like a great idea. If it were my parents, I wouldn't even bother with letting them pick. I'm sure they'll be happy with anything you give them--just make sure you pick good ones! My parents are a lot like your parents, and if I lived close to them, I'd do something like that, even though I can afford to buy them the kind of gifts they're used to.

I think that's a great idea....from one who is also hard to buy a present for. I would love that!

I think your parents might really like this idea. They would appreciate getting the homemade bread in different varieties and they know that you appreciate them and love them with this gift.

It sounds like your parents are in a financially stable state and can and do get things for themselves when they want. So, it just makes sense do give them a gift that is homemade by you with lots of love and affection.

:thumbsup2

Here is my .02. I would just tell them I was going to bake them bread and not ask their input. Here is my reason, I would always feel guilty asking you to bake for me. I would assume you would be busy and I would hate to bother you to ask. If you just bake the bread, they wouldn't say no, but to ask them to decide what to bake, I would never ask so I wouldn't bother you.

Did that make any sense? I know people gave me coupon books when my kids were born for things like baby sitting, home cooked meals, that kind of thing, but I never asked them to fill the coupon because I always felt like I was bothering them.

I think it sounds great!

If it is in your budget, you could do something like buy a cutting board and a bread knife, and make a booklet of coupons, and tie a ribbon around the booklet and knife, and tie THAT to the cutting board!

Kind of like this...

mud-merci-pie-crown-cutting-board-150375.jpg

Edited to add, as powellrj said, how about just making coupons that say something like, "It's January, prepare to enjoy my Cranberry Bread!"

I think your parents might really like this idea. They would appreciate getting the homemade bread in different varieties and they know that you appreciate them and love them with this gift.

It sounds like your parents are in a financially stable state and can and do get things for themselves when they want. So, it just makes sense do give them a gift that is homemade by you with lots of love and affection.

:thumbsup2

I agree! It sounds like a perfect gift - took thought, shows effort and love, and will give them a chance to see you monthly (if they don't regularly see you anyway).

I also say ask them for their favs but otherwise, just go based on what you think they'll like and I'm sure they'll enjoy it.

So, I've come up with a possible Christmas gift for my parents this year but I'd like some opinions.

My parents have everything that they could want. They travel often and go out for dinner and a show whenever they feel like it. They are both in their mid 60s and are semi retired. They have told us they have no idea what they want, because if they want it they buy it whenever.

I am 36 and a single mom. I work in a crappy job where I don't earn a lot, but for various reasons this is what I choose to do. They know I don't have a lot of money to spend on Christmas and even if I did they'd rather I spent it on my daughter.

Enough of the background.. On to my great idea.

I have a bread maker and they enjoy it when I make a loaf of bread for them. What if I printed out 20 or so bread recipes and let them choose 12 so I could make them a loaf a month? I would choose recipes that I'm sure they would like such as cranberry or raisin.

Writing it out makes it seem kind of lame but I really think they would enjoy this. I'm starting to second guess myself so I am really, truly looking for honest opinions.

Thanks for reading.

Your parents sound a lot like my husband and me. I love your idea! Like a previous person said, though, you should just go ahead and pick out twelve recipes that you think your parents would like. Maybe you could print the bread type and the month on individual index cards (or something fancier), and tie a festive ribbon around them.

You also say that you're a mom, so I bet your parents would love anything homemade by your kids. I LOVE receiving anything made by our grandkids (just like I loved getting handmade gifts from our own kids when they were little) and seeing the excitement on their faces as they watch us open their gift is priceless!:lovestruc

I think it is a great idea! I am hard to buy for and I would love it if one of my daughters did something like this for me.

I'd present it in a sort of "bread-menu-of-the-month" format and get their input as each month comes up. They may find a favorite as the year progress or want something seasonal that they wouldn't think of right now.

Think I can get my daughters to sign up for a "load of laundry" club? :rotfl:

Honestly?

I think it's a wonderful idea, and I'm sure your parents will love it!

I like the idea. And I love the cutting board for the presentation. I'd also consider each month adding something fun (and cheap) with it like a small jar of jam or a package of tea or something like that (Trader Joe's would be perfect for such items).

It's a great idea. I assume that you'll deliver the bread so that means that they get a visit from you and your dd. It's like two gifts in one.

If anyone ask and lots of times when they don't I will give you an honest opinion! This is a great idea. They will looove it every month. You are a clever woman IMO.:listen:

WOW you guys! Thank you all so much for the encouragement. I like the idea of letting them choose monthly. That way if they find a new favorite they can choose it again. My daughter has already volunteered to print out the recipes and decorate the pages. Shes really artistic so it will be a nice touch.

My father-in-law was impossible to buy for...a financially well-off guy who needed nothing. Three years ago I gave him a gift certificate to the "Cookie of the Month Club" and each month I would make him a different kind of cookie. Two years ago I gave him another one and when he opened it he was so excited. He said it was his favorite present...ever. Sadly, we lost him last year. I sure do miss making him his monthly cookies.

So you can guess what my opinion is. :0) I think your idea is lovely.

I think it's a great idea and if you want someone to test out your creations, I volunteer! :wave2:

I think it is one of the best ideas I've heard in awhile. I too am struggling with what to get my mom and dad, so I decided to make them each a scarf, give them a homemade cookie of the month coupon (I'll make them their favorite cookies), and a coupon booklet for generalized help (i.e., leaf raking, snow removal -- with son's help, painting, etc.). They have most everything they need and their wants are beyond my means this year (i.e., new leather couch).

karen

great, great, great idea!! My dh is also impossible to buy for, and he loves getting food for gifts! It sounds perfect w/ your dd decorating the presentation cards too!

What about this - make them a "coupon" for each recipe and put together a "coupon book" that they can redeem once a month for the kind that appeals to them that month. When they "redeem" each coupon, put it on a scrapbook page for that month that maybe includes a photo of your daughter and a little journal entry to tell them what they mean to you. You could maybe tie it in to the bread they choose. So a cranberry nut bread makes you thankful because you know you probably drove them nuts when you did xyz in the 7th grade but they still loved you anyway. Then, at the end of the year, give them the finished scrapbook.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter