Holding Hands?

rocksinriots

Earning My Ears
Hi There! The DW (of 4 years) and I reside in NYC. We go out all the time and sometimes we hold hands or even link arms in public. We're not gross and PDA-ish or anything like that.

My question is how did you feel at WDW as an LGBT couple? I am sure the staff would be fine and friendly but did the crowd ever make you feel uneasy?

As an example-
When I was on a cruise last year (during college spring time break by mistake) there were moments when we were definitely being gawked/laughed at by drunken straight guys. Neither of us is femme so it wasn't that gross "lesbians are hot" idea. They were more like "did you see that! wth are they!" in regards to our semi-butchness. I really don't care what people think about me, but I'm NEVER silent when I get this kind of ignorance thrown in my face.

Input? Comments? Advice?
-Rocksinriots

I am probably not your target audience, but the title of your thread caught my eye... so hope you don't mind my input.

As a mom, I do not like to see gross PDA in front of my kids, be it gay or straight. But holding hands, a hug, even a simple kiss would never offend me. I have seen that in the parks many times, and really haven't even thought twice about it, or noticed others around paying attention either. I think it is good for my kids to be exposed to all types of families, not just the ones that look like us. It prepares them for life in the real world.

I hope you enjoy your vacation!

DP and I usually link arms if we have contact in public. Kinda like this. Unfortunately, I don't look like Orlando Bloom.

small_Just_Jared_Boyfriend_75701_orlando_bloom_miranda_kerr_kora.jpg

When we don't do that we walk separately, not due to discomfort or lack of acceptance. Merely the fact that he rarely takes ten steps without finding something shiny to go looking at and can't walk in a straight line.

If your just holding hands I probably wouldn't notice... sorry but Disney scenary is WAY more interesting then two girls holding hands.

Now if your doing something to call attention to yourself (example a Guy in drag wearing something with sequins or a boa) then year I"m going to point you out and wonder why people dress so weird... Then go back to looking at Disney scenary.

If your sucking face or doing anything that isn't shown in PG-13 movies I'll think your gross (and this goes for any straight couples too!)

DP and I usually link arms if we have contact in public. Kinda like this. Unfortunately, I don't look like Orlando Bloom.

You're too funny and I'm sure you are good looking as well! The trick to getting your DPs attention would be to just glue shiny objects to yourself. Then you could walk hand in hand all the time. :love2:

If your just holding hands I probably wouldn't notice... sorry but Disney scenary is WAY more interesting then two girls holding hands.

Now if your doing something to call attention to yourself (example a Guy in drag wearing something with sequins or a boa) then year I"m going to point you out and wonder why people dress so weird... Then go back to looking at Disney scenary.

If your sucking face or doing anything that isn't shown in PG-13 movies I'll think your gross (and this goes for any straight couples too!)

I can assure you that I am a firm believer in never wearing sequins in public!
:earsboy:

As a mom I would not be offended at all if I and my kids saw to people men or women holding hands. Don't worry and be yourselves. Disney is about happiness and love for all.

I am probably not your target audience, but the title of your thread caught my eye... so hope you don't mind my input.

As a mom, I do not like to see gross PDA in front of my kids, be it gay or straight. But holding hands, a hug, even a simple kiss would never offend me. I have seen that in the parks many times, and really haven't even thought twice about it, or noticed others around paying attention either. I think it is good for my kids to be exposed to all types of families, not just the ones that look like us. It prepares them for life in the real world.

I hope you enjoy your vacation!

Well said. I feel the exact same way. Personally, I think we will be having way too much fun to be paying attention to others.

We have never really had too much trouble at Disney holding hands. What does always happen ( as with everywhere) is comment regarding the wrong bathroom. :confused3

Nothing wrong with holding hands, walking with arms locked, or around the hip. Nothing wrong with a peck on the cheek or a little kiss on the lips. :thumbsup2:hug: I just don't want to see making out in public; I don't care if you are gay or hetro... WDW and a lot of public places are not the right place for that.

As a mom I would not be offended at all if I and my kids saw to people men or women holding hands. Don't worry and be yourselves. Disney is about happiness and love for all.

Same here. Just please, no tonsil hockey. I'm not ready to explain that to my kids...:)

I am also not in the target audience but the title caught my eye.

I say be yourselves, it is your trip after all. This trip is about making you happy, everybody has the right to share in the Disney Magic and feel comfortable doing it. As OP said as long as you are not being inapropriate (gay or straight it is a kids place too) have a great time, differences is what makes the world go round :yay:

straight male here and i could care less> if our eyes happend to meet i would probably give you a kind acknowledgement(smile/nod of the head) but i am more open minded than most of my heterosexual brothers. I run under the opinion that if 2 people were lucky enough to find eachother and have happines on this big blue marble then GOOD for THEM.

As a mom, I do not like to see gross PDA in front of my kids, be it gay or straight. But holding hands, a hug, even a simple kiss would never offend me.

This was exactly my thought when I read the original post. I don't care if people are gay or straight. Don't make out in front of my kids, and you won't get a nasty look from me :laughing:

When we don't do that we walk separately, not due to discomfort or lack of acceptance. Merely the fact that he rarely takes ten steps without finding something shiny to go looking at and can't walk in a straight line.

How interesting! My other half is a magpie, too!:rotfl:

We have never really had too much trouble at Disney holding hands. What does always happen ( as with everywhere) is comment regarding the wrong bathroom. :confused3

Gabby and I share your pain on that one. I got stopped 3 times during our last trip for that. The last time, it happened I was so over it, I turned around grabbed the double D cups on my chest and said, "Yes ma'am, I am in the right place, I do believe that I have the right parts for entry." :lmao:

Gabby used to hate having to travel so much for work due the need to use public restrooms there. It got to the point where she had purchased Girl Skateboard Company t-shirts with the female symbol logo on them and wore them on the days that she flew. It stopped the questions which was a big relief for her because she doesn't like talking to strangers, especially strangers who are embarrassing her.

As for issues holding hands or sharing a quick peck of a kiss at WDW, no issues what so ever, but we tend to be rather discreet with the kisses anyway because even though most wouldn't mind, some would and we try to respect that.

I had to laugh because I looked at all the crazy kids who were wearing their goth black clothes and combat boots and the only thing I ever thought was, man, they must be roasting in those clothes!

Nothing wrong with holding hands, walking with arms locked, or around the hip. Nothing wrong with a peck on the cheek or a little kiss on the lips. :thumbsup2:hug: I just don't want to see making out in public; I don't care if you are gay or hetro... WDW and a lot of public places are not the right place for that.
OMG yes! Affection is nice - even happy. Sex in public with your clothes on - like the relatively young couple in line at Comedy Warehouse the night before Pleasure Island shut down :sad::sad::sad: - performed by any combination of genders, uh-uh. And I'm a Massachusetts liberal ;)

.........go and have a wonderful time with your family! Families are made up of many different components, ... two of them...obviously being You TWO! :flower3::grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter