Hindsight is 2020 - A VERY late trip report (NYE and Feb/March cruise) - Updated 8/27-Off the cruise and a VIP Tour!

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
Hindsight is 2020 - A VERY late Trip Report!

Hello everyone, from your “favorite” super-late trip reporter, lol! What better time to start posting about my 2020 Disney trips than over a year after they happened?!?
Yeah, sorry about that one! I considered not posting these at all, but realized I actually enjoy reliving the trips, so would still like to share them, but I’m ok if you totally skip them!
So, I will be including 2 trips in this report. I normally would do these in two separate reports, but I’m probably not going to go crazy detailed, so will likely just post as one report (with a possible separate cruise trip report on the cruise boards).

I’m actually so so so happy I did these trips when I did them, which was pre-pandemic/lockdown. If I had postponed them by a year, who knows if/when they would have been possible.

Trip 1 – New Years Eve, December 27, 2019 – January 5, 2020, all at WDW.

Trip 2 – WDW, Star Wars Disney Cruise, WDW again – Feb 22, 2020 – March 9, 2020 (just squeaked it in before lockdown).

So, lets get started with Trip 1 – New Years Eve!

564994 564995

A bit about me if you haven’t read any of my previous reports – I’m Lesley and am an engineer in Los Angeles. I’ve been a Disney fan all of my life, going to Disneyland often. Finally I did my first WDW trip in 2017, in the middle of a hurricane (TR)! I quickly got hooked and returned to WDW multiple times (you can see my signature for the various Trip Reports). Add in a trip to Paris in June 2018, and then the Asian parks in Oct/Nov 2019 (still finishing up that report), as well as a cruise in February 2019, and, well, I’m a Disney addict, lol! Pre-lockdown I would usually be at Disneyland a couple days a month, even if just for a few hours. Most of my trips have been solo, though I have gone with some family and made some great friends, including an EPIC trip with about 30 dissers!

ufszH13.jpg

While it's been over a year since I've been to Disney (with the exception of a couple Downtown Disney visits) I am excited because I got my first vaccine shot about 1.5 weeks ago, so I will be at Disneyworld in May!

As an intro to this trip, it was only a partly solo trip. Instead I was joined for the first part of it with some great friends, Dina (@dina444444), Willis (@wnwardii), and Zach (@AMusicLifeForMe) (for some reason those tags aren't working right now)

We actually all met because of the Dis! I think Dina, Willis, and Zach first really met at the Dis 20th anniversary event in 2017, but they were all disboards friends before then. I ended up connecting with Zach in 2017 after reading his trip reports, and we ended up deciding to meet up when he came to Disneyland for the Candlelight Processional in December 2017. Dina is also a Disneyland local, so she was visiting with him too, and we connected, and started hanging out at Disneyland together occasionally. In mid-2018, Zach came back to Disneyland, and Willis also met everyone there, so I got to meet him and we all became friends. I think there’s been several Disneyland meet-ups since then.

For the trip itself, I think I decided in late 2018 to do the NYE trip for the following year (2019-2020). My friend, @chunkymonkey, was considering coming too, but she and her husband dropped out sometime in late 2019. Zach had done previous NYE trips, so he already decided to come too. I had talked about the trip with Dina on one of our Disneyland days and mentioned, hey, did you want to come? She had a valid AP and would just need to sleep on the pull-out couch in my room. So, why not! And I think sometime in the summer Willis decided to come too. So, it ended up being a nice 4-some. Though everyone else went back to normal life on January 1st, I stuck it out for the week.

So, anyways, that’s the history behind it.

I rented DVC points to stay at the Boardwalk villas for 8 nights, and ended up adding on a 9th night with my own points after flight prices were excessive, so I extended my trip a day. (Willis stayed at Pop Century and Zach stayed at the Poly Villas.) We did all our scheduling/booking far in advance, knowing crowds were no joke, lol! And overall, I think we had a pretty good time!

Last edited:
Day 1, December 28, 2019

So, lets start by rewinding 15 months… not that anything important happened in that time…

Anyways, I actually spent the night before at Dina’s house since she lives really close to the airport and our flight was god-awful early! Still weird seeing this photos with people crowded together and no masks!

77KqCVd.jpg

On the flight we each watched various things on Disney+. And I loved the SWGE coverings on the faux-o-rail!

EbNGXS1.jpg
RZqVw6v.jpg

Willis had driven down to Florida, so he picked us up at the airport and drove us over to the Boardwalk. Gotta get those arch shots!

1cnvOkd.jpg

As we drove into the Boardwalk we finally got the room assignment! I had a garden/pool view and ended up with the area I requested, with a partial Boardwalk view! It was also right near the elevators, without being noisy, and also close to boat transport. I really did love this room location! And the room itself was still a lovely Boardwalk Villa Studio.

mvLV8nv.jpg
qKuUL6O.jpg
7Bg4XIl.jpg
cFMS5sa.jpg
7Oov55O.jpg
4Ut6JuA.jpg

While Dina got things settled, including getting our bags/groceries/owners locker brought up from bell services, Willis and I ran downstairs to the general store. I had made the mistake of wearing a long sleeve spirit jersey, which while Christmasy, was too warm for the current Florida weather, so I picked up a Boardwalk tank top, which was much more comfortable!

The three of us then headed over to Epcot to pick up the Chip and Dale AP magnets, which are adorable (and I thought I had a photo...but obviously I forgot to take one)!

lulyaQp.jpg
GQTVBLe.jpg
fNjFBHQ.jpg

And my first time seeing the demolition…

uvdZ553.jpg

I also requested a quick stop to visit Siegfried and the Barn Santa, the best winter storyteller!

LGOCstt.jpg
Jldd2rM.jpg

And then it was time for my first skyliner trip! I definitely loved it! Best method of transport by far!

eHwVc9Z.jpg
bjQucC4.jpg

And over to DHS, where we had a fastpass for Slinky Dog Dash! Still wish they sold some of those slinky animals as toys! Like seriously, a playset of mini figures of all of them – bestseller!

eynZwfX.jpg
qsQnbiU.jpg
XNCPjzj.jpg

And finally over to our final stop of the night (yes, it was definitely a go-go-go type of afternoon), the Riveria! Love those murals

4XzCjFm.jpg
mxff8gr.jpg
I5Vu3Jx.jpg
McTlRoF.jpg
Jsz3U8X.jpg
NuendfT.jpg
Q4SpJVV.jpg
Fgg3XNF.jpg
KXhvQbF.jpg

We had a bit of time before dinner, so I stopped at the café and picked up the brownie bites and mini madelines (to save for breakfast the following day)

H6d6LLg.jpg

And dinner was at Topolino’s Terrace. The three of us met up with Zach and our other friends Meghan and Matt, who all live in Orlando. I didn’t realize until later that we never got a group photo!

mdQ7tqx.jpg
rlAgU9C.jpg
BJXN23k.jpg
UkCZJg4.jpg
Q1VRhG1.jpg
8gVQZZv.jpg

For appetizers, three of us (including me), got the Gnocchi (Duck confit, pesto bianco, garden kale, pine nuts). I believe Willis got the Beets Barigoule (White beans, watercress, garden radish, lemon meringue). Matt got the Ricotta (tomato, aged balsamic, cracked pepper, basil, epi), and Zach got the Root Bisque (parsnip, celery root, heirloom apple, cocoa nibs, sorrel). Everything was delicious! (Though we did have some delays on our server taking our orders, but we chalked that up to them still getting opening processes sorted.)

agVSXuz.jpg
XMUlkOm.jpg
dzpZ67n.jpg
FLmK37M.jpg
cZnYaIp.jpg

For main courses, Meghan and I got the Rigatoni (braised chicken sugo, dandelion greens, parmesano-reggiano). Dina got the King Salmon Mi-Cuit (artichoke risotto, sauce vierge, upland cress, French olive oil). Zach got the Filet Mignon (truffled mashed potatoes, charred topedo onion, forest mushroom puree, vinaigrette). I assume Matt and Willis got one of these too (maybe the salmon) since I don’t have other photos. The pasta was totally delicious. I think for everyone else they like the flavors but their food was a bit lukewarm, so it probably sat out a bit while they finished up the pasta? Also the main courses came out far too soon after starters, so we hadn’t all finished, which was a bit annoying. Again, opening issues.

E0bExMx.jpg
t3kKhaS.jpg
k8tCerg.jpg

But I really did love this restaurant! The atmosphere and food was great. I would be happy to come back!

We timed the meal so we could see partial fireworks. Of course you don’t get the audio, but it was cool seeing it from up high! I may have been the only one out to watch Epcot Forever though, as everyone else had seen it before.

tFBFPl8.jpg
QivWPiS.jpg
diN4mAh.jpg
ngQ6TN6.jpg

We said our goodbyes (for now) and the four of us skylinered away (I think we went to Zach’s car who drove us back to Boardwalk since he had to pick up something from our room). Willis then picked up his car and drove back to Pop Century, where he was staying.

CssJW7c.jpg
6dWROIy.jpg

A busy, but fun first night. And we had to get some sleep – it was an early wake-up call the next day!

Coming up - Rising for the resistance!

Yay am I first!?! It's too bad I missed the NYE trip but I'm there for March!

Topolino's is my new favorite restaurant. I absolutely love it! I also really love the Riviera!

Yay am I first!?! It's too bad I missed the NYE trip but I'm there for March!

Topolino's is my new favorite restaurant. I absolutely love it! I also really love the Riviera!
Yes, you are! And yeah, Topolino's is one of my favorites! It was the first thing I booked for May!
Yay! Excited to relive 2 of the last 4 trips (3 of them wdw) before 2020 went off the rails.
Lol! Yup, we really timed it well!

This is like reliving the calm before the storm. I agree about the one Storyteller in Norway. I think that is my favorite as well. I had forgot about the appetizer I had at Topolino's. Yes, I had the salmon. And when you say "go-go-go" type of day, you weren't kidding. Seeing those DHS crowds at this moment is like "yikes".

I actually recently read through some of your old reports as I was looking around for reports from the before times. I really enjoyed them, so I’m glad you’re starting this so I can follow along this time!!

Joining in! I'm going to enjoy reading about these pre-covid trips, when things were still normal!

Sounds like a busy but fun first day!

This is like reliving the calm before the storm. I agree about the one Storyteller in Norway. I think that is my favorite as well. I had forgot about the appetizer I had at Topolino's. Yes, I had the salmon. And when you say "go-go-go" type of day, you weren't kidding. Seeing those DHS crowds at this moment is like "yikes".
It was a rushing day but we accomplished a lot! And yeah - everyone crushed in there... just gives me anxiety!
Following along!
Welcome!
I actually recently read through some of your old reports as I was looking around for reports from the before times. I really enjoyed them, so I’m glad you’re starting this so I can follow along this time!!
"before times" sounds so apocalyptic, but at the same time appropriate! Welcome to the report!
Joining in! I'm going to enjoy reading about these pre-covid trips, when things were still normal!

Sounds like a busy but fun first day!
Yeah, we really were lucky to get these in before covid!

Day 2, December 29, 2019

Part 1 – Rising for the Resistance

Today was such an early morning! Of course we were doing a Rise of the Resistance attempt, and with the park opening at 6am, we were up and out of the room at 5am! Especially with the time difference, my body thought it was around 2am, oof! At least I had yummy desserts from the Riveria for breakfast!

MwsZP0l.jpg
G70Evum.jpg

It was a rainy morning, but being at the Boardwalk meant we at least could walk over. (Willis drove to the Boardwalk and met us along the pathway.)

JVbwVyc.jpg
ZrI8evD.jpg
xyPpm5V.jpg

Pretty crowded on the street, especially with pouring rain! Our trio met up with Zach and one of his friends. I think Dina was the one able to grab a BG, though I don’t remember the number. (We were looking at a mid-morning return time.) Oh and Dina and I were so amazed when the BGs went so quickly – around 7 minutes… little did we know that a week later they would start disappearing within seconds!

NgppuYJ.jpg

Before leaving the studios, we did make our way with the crowds over to SWGE where we quickly got onto Smuggler’s Run. I think I got to be a pilot (woo-hoo)!

m8HGckT.jpg
FhLzzLt.jpg

We all split up then and went back to our respective hotels to crash for a bit! It had been such an early wake-up call!

About 4-hrs later we all made our way back to DHS.

TKnoRiB.jpg
asmiLz3.jpg
ELltPtr.jpg

And into Rise! It was the first time riding for me, Dina and Willis!

7ip0Ph3.jpg
I17s4lB.jpg

I didn’t take many photos at all, just trying to experience it. But this room was just, wow!

Hb3FEf1.jpg

(Dina and Willis did take some pics which I copied over.)

kyvBFBt.jpg
nse5HkW.jpg
UX7GmtC.jpg
MsNfNWA.jpg
Rue0wg2.jpg
B1mP0cO.jpg
htExIhp.jpg
xr1duij.jpg

So, after that amazing experience… we were running late for our next scheduled activity! Based on time stamps, we had a Flight of Passage fastpass from 10:45-11:45. Well, at 11:45 we were getting off Rise… uh oh! We booked it to the front of the park where Dina, Willis and I hopped in an Uber; Zach and his friend drove. And rushed over to AK, thankfully no traffic. And the boys got a parking spot pretty much right next to where our Uber dropped us off. We decided – no need to stay in a group, just get to the ride! Thru security, entrance, and then zoomed (without unsafe running) into the park.

We did run into the Merry Menagerie, which I had wanted to see, but no time besides some quick photos on the move! (Fingers crossed they have it this December when I go back for holiday celebrations.)

pLZXAnR.jpg
Kp5Xygq.jpg

And made it to FoP at 11:59, seconds before we missed our grace period! Oh and we also had 4 FPs but a group of 5 (Zach’s friend didn’t decide to come along until after FPs were grabbed). But, we all got into the FP line (and to be fair, since we are all nice, polite-to-CM people we probably would have been allowed in past the grace period, but it was good to not have to argue anything more than necessary, lol)! Phew!

fUqtqyu.jpg
MULr5Ib.jpg
VzHobtw.jpg

While we were in Pandora I did admire the Christmas decorations still up. I’m hoping they do this again this upcoming December so I can spend time there! (Oh and if they sold the Navi nutcrackers I may have to buy one)

OzeDxuc.jpg
MCijBZA.jpg
w3iwUwH.jpg
6rrgUFD.jpg
HbjuBZF.jpg
nhHyhFG.jpg
AdF7ycN.jpg
fA0eM0p.jpg

Willis, Dina and I then headed up to Africa for our safari FP (Zach and Owen went back to the Poly to relax before dinner, as they had only checked in that morning).

MiS1TnF.jpg

So, some typical safari spam!

isg3IEy.jpg
WHK4XWE.jpg
QLv4bpV.jpg
5Ces73q.jpg
vYIG1Yl.jpg
jO1WWGR.jpg
TVpBMOT.jpg
INbzyIl.jpg
dCtaQkR.jpg
CVKIF4Z.jpg
AUcuXbS.jpg
uXmwFqc.jpg

For lunch, Dina went back to Satuli, but Willis and I went over to Yak and Yeti Local Foods Café, a favorite of mine. I got the Honey Chicken (tempura chicken, carrots, snap peas, honey sauce and white rice), which was good, though I think I prefer the Teriyaki option (which doesn't look like it's on the menu currently). We sat in the back area and unfortunately were totally poured on! Willis had an umbrella, but I relied on my raincoat and actually using the food tray to cover my bag and lap! We were both pretty soaked though!

0mQnvEm.jpg

I don’t remember if we had an Everest fastpass, but if we did, we decided to skip it. Instead Dina went back to the Boardwalk for a rest (and probably a change out of the wet clothes), while Willis and I headed straight to our next location, Gran Destino Tower!

Coming up: Dinner and fireworks!

Following along
It looks like you are off to a fun start with Slinky, Rise, and FoP all in the first 24 hours!
I loved breakfast at Topolino, we were there shortly before the world changed! Loved the balcony area.
I‘m glad you had your first vaccine.

Following along. Looking forward to reading more. Glad you decided to write these ! Enjoying your Asian parks report too .

Following along
It looks like you are off to a fun start with Slinky, Rise, and FoP all in the first 24 hours!
I loved breakfast at Topolino, we were there shortly before the world changed! Loved the balcony area.
I‘m glad you had your first vaccine.
Yes, it was a crazy time! And we did end up having breakfast there later - also a big fan of that!
Following along. Looking forward to reading more. Glad you decided to write these ! Enjoying your Asian parks report too .
Thanks! I'm glad people are happy to read these, despite being so late!

Reactions: DLo
Part 2 – Gran Destino and Magic Kingdom Fireworks

This was my first time seeing Gran Destino after it had opened (and actually my first time at CSR besides MDE drop-offs). Definitely a gorgeous building! And the Christmas lights and decorations worked so well in that lovely lobby. Willis and I chilled in the downstairs lobby for a bit; I think he had a coffee and I had a hot cocoa?

iRtD9j8.jpg
9XKMe4f.jpg
iVKrmFQ.jpg
M0ETdzI.jpg
OqgNQyo.jpg
orhOq9p.jpg
zAizmh4.jpg
RboDAEp.jpg
WGQ4hus.jpg
dwV65FD.jpg
ZiLrEKq.jpg
ZOJiOga.jpg

Once everyone else arrived we headed upstairs. The Dahlia Lounge is also gorgeous with amazing views! I actually prefer those to the ones from Topolino, as you are higher and get a more comprehensive view of the property.

pvVwo4u.jpg
7tqu3o3.jpg
RT8r0aG.jpg
PAS5k5N.jpg
fuPwWil.jpg
93x4BfU.jpg
zRDrIWp.jpg
V0VUqg6.jpg
8Z7EHp3.jpg
1JBS8SR.jpg
HXAOOYm.jpg

Just a couple Minnie Vans!

4vuF089.jpg

For dinner itself, we were headed to Toledo Tapas, Steak & Seafood. And that ceiling lighting! :love:

4cq48dU.jpg
LkRxojU.jpg
0qRylQ3.jpg
dzLbkgm.jpg

I think the others all got wine, but I got a fruity drink (I asked our server for something that wouldn’t taste too much like alcohol…). It looks like the Espumoso Punch (Fonseca Bin 27 Port, Combier Crème de Mure, Lime, Orange, Freixinet Blanc de Blanc Cava Brut, Fresh Fruit).

DkVRzEr.jpg

It looks like someone (or a couple people together) got the ‘Pan con Tomate” Tomato Bread

nG5xTEw.jpg

One person got an appetizer of Heirloom Tomatoes (stone fruit, farmer’s cheese, fermented garlic, torn mint)

AhWIkFM.jpg

Two tapas. I think one is the Olive Oil-poached Tuna with Lemon, and the other is the Traditional ‘Tortilla Espanola’ Spanish Potato Omelet.

SJ0fsMC.jpg

I believe I got the Manhattan Filet (olive oil-potato puree, grilled onions, dates, sherry vinaigrette).

aQi8hLr.jpg

Someone got the Red Wine-braised chicken (grapes, sherry vinegar, roasted tomato ‘bomba’ rice).

2JVGd9w.jpg

Zach got the plant-based seafood, a vegan dish of “crab cakes, calamari, scallops, and citrus-infused couscous”. I don’t think he was a big fan, as it went for a look of seafood, not a taste.

mnsIt0E.jpg

Someone got the scallops (fava hummus, olives, harissa vinaigrette, roasted carrots, yogurt powder).

nBuQqd8.jpg

Overall, I think we all thought this meal was very good! And the atmosphere was also great. We had eaten early so didn’t have a wait to be sat at the table and we got to enjoy the lighting, so all around a great meal! I really don’t understand why they haven’t reopened this yet and I hope they do so soon!

Before leaving we did get some nighttime views out on the balcony. We could even see the Sunset Seasons happening on the Tower of Terror

W6yQ76L.jpg
ry6yBMb.jpg
97rJYLC.jpg

And because we hadn’t done enough that day, it was time to head to Magic Kingdom! (Honestly looking back at these first days I’m shocked how much we did!)

My first view of the castle this trip!

YkjIF3F.jpg

I think at some point we must have picked up fastpasses for Space Mountain. I normally don’t ride this (too rough) but with the Christmas overlay I was willing to make an exception)!

73ODNyr.jpg
Cr8OD3o.jpg

And another ride, which I actually had never done before, was Tomorrowland Speedway, with it’s awesome overlay.

rzUHnNY.jpg
kxeFtwm.jpg
0AVAjwb.jpg
P08BL0c.jpg
2IfDz5C.jpg
Y4J0Uo6.jpg
9a0Y0Xx.jpg
K6D09tU.jpg

And because you can’t go to Tomorrowland without doing it, we hopped on the Peoplemover! (Too full of a car though to get the appropriate foot photo)

ZX8IL1X.jpg

The main reason we went to MK this day was because we had a dessert party booked! The after-fireworks dessert party, since they would be showing the new Christmas fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter