hiking poles?

momz

DIS Veteran
I have multiple sclerosis and I sometimes have balance issues. I occasionally use a cane and had planned to bring it with me to WDW in December. But, my physical therapist is recommending I use 2 hiking poles instead of 1 cane. This would help me by making me more visible to others (preventing accidental collisions) and by adding one more connection to the ground thus greatly decreasing the risk of a fall.

my question, are hiking poles allowed at Disney world? I'm sure canes are allowed. I'm curious because the poles are not traditional mobility aids.

I haven't traveled very much since acquiring this diagnosis, so any insight you can help with is appreciated.

Wow! I'm surprised these are allowed. I run early in the mornings and always pass a man using them to speed walk and it's always iffy going past him , I'm always afraid of tripping over them as they extend out so far. I can't see this at crowded WDW but if they allow it, they allow it.

I would think they would need to be the ones with rounded tips, not the pointy ski-pole type tips my husband uses for mountain climbing?

I think that in a crowded situation, they'd be dangerous. Someone might accidentally trip over one, or trip the user by bumping into a pole that was weight bearing. If you were planning on using them, you might want to try to avoid the super crazy crowded times, like right at rope drop or closing. I'd think the rest of the time there'd be enough open space to handle poles, as they don't really go too far outside the body, right?

Please be aware that the Mom's Panel is not monitored by Disney for accuracy. They sometimes give out information that is very wrong.

I would e-mail and ask before taking them to the parks. Just to be on the safe side. It would be horrible to show up with them only to be told you can't bring them in.

Try out trekking poles to see if they make you more secure. My criticism of them us that they occupy both your hands and leave you unable to grab a different handhold like a railing if needed. They are also longer than a forearm crutch. In the event of a bigger stumble they can end up becoming a trip hazard. Even worse if they are attached to your wrists with lanyards.

Everyone is different and they may be just the ticket for you. But also consider a pair of short walking canes or forearm crutches and try them all out before deciding.

Be aware that whether you use hiking poles or canes people will knock them from under you. They don't mean to but just aren't paying attention.

Be aware that whether you use hiking poles or canes people will knock them from under you. They don't mean to but just aren't paying attention.

This is the #1 reason I'm scared about taking a white cane with me o .my next visit, even though I know I really ought to have one - my night vision is extremely poor, my eyes don't adjust to sudden brightness or darkness like normalize do, and I have blind spots and little peripheral vision. And it's as much for identification as for navigation. But in those crowds, it seems like just a matter of time before someone steps on the tip or trips over the whole thing.

This is the #1 reason I'm scared about taking a white cane with me o .my next visit, even though I know I really ought to have one - my night vision is extremely poor, my eyes don't adjust to sudden brightness or darkness like normalize do, and I have blind spots and little peripheral vision. And it's as much for identification as for navigation. But in those crowds, it seems like just a matter of time before someone steps on the tip or trips over the whole thing.
You will be fine with a white cane at disney world I have seen a number of people useing them at disney, and I think it would be agest the law for them to tell you that you can not have it, it would be the same as telling someone in a wheelchir they can not sue there wheelchair.

You will be fine with a white cane at disney world I have seen a number of people useing them at disney, and I think it would be agest the law for them to tell you that you can not have it, it would be the same as telling someone in a wheelchir they can not sue there wheelchair.

I must have missed something - where did ttintagel state that there was concern Disney would not allow a white cane? A white cane is much different than hiking poles.

Last edited:
Yes, a white cane will be fine. Unlike hiking poles, it is universally recognized as medically necessary equipment.It's used very differently from the way hiking poles are.

I'm so sorry to have caused a digression from the thread topic by not being clear! I'm not worriead about being allowed to bring the cane in; when @Talking Hands mentioned being careful about people running into the poles it reminded me of my concern that something similar would happen with the cane.

The problem I see happening is that hacking poles do not identify a person has having a disability even at Disney. I would not be more cautious around a person using hicking sticks, but I live in a place where it is common to see a person just pit walking and using one and most of them are physically fit outdoorsy type people.

If you are wanting to make yourself more visible to the general public with the goal of having people be more careful around you, then I would think that using two canes would be a more obvious marker of a disability (or an older person that needed more support).
When my MIL needed more physical support that was provided by a satandar cane, she used a Tripod cane.

I just wanted to report that I was at the world last weekend for the Wine and dine marathon weekend and saw people in HS with trekking poles. I was aware of this because I was traveling with a walking boot due to a broken bone in my foot. So they are allowed in the park and they did not seem to be a hindurance to other people around them.

Jojo

Just a word of warning, they might not be allowed at Disneyland, if going there, I would check with them directly, they often have different allowable items. I know this may or may not pertain to the OP, but a word of caution for those that it might.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!