Hidden Fees for DVC

MinBz

Mouseketeer
Are there any other fees besides the maintenance fee? I have a timeshare with another company and they charge you a fee when you bank/save points or borrow points from future year. They also charge you a fee every time you make a reservation. I know I'm about to start the process to purchase DVC in the next few months but want to make sure I know about all the fees. I've searched the threads and haven't found anyone mentioning banking/borrow/booking fees so hoping it doesn't exist.

As long as you use your points to stay at a DVC resort, there are no additional fees relating to the stay. Since it's a timeshare, housekeeping is on a limited schedule. Additional housekeeping services are available at an additional cost.

Theme park admission, food/beverage, etc are obviously an additional cost.

Another, discretionary fee would be if you wanted to purchase One Time Use points in the event you were a few points short for a reservation.

Not a hidden fee, but the State of Hawai'i imposes a nightly transient accommodations tax based upon the number of Vacation Points required for the stay and the Annual Dues per Vacation Point for the calendar year of the stay at Aulani.

So far there have not been fees with DVC such as you experienced with the other timeshare however they have the ability to add them if they decided it was appropriate.

Not really a hidden fee, but you may also now end up buying APs as well - depending on your trip frequency (and it supports the taking a trip you werent planning on taking).

Of course then there is the "Well, I do have my AP, and a 3 day weekend might be nice, I could get a cash room....." But that really isnt a hidden fee either :)

Might as well throw in there that there can be special assessments for unforeseen expenses, such as the extra assessment for hurricane damage assessed to owners at HHI, VB, and SSR.

Closest thing I have seen to a hidden fee was the original 2020 points charts. They increased the lock-off premium, but did not increase the number of points to book the "deeded" mix. It would have effectively reduced members room "allotment" if they booked primarily studios and 1BR. For details look for a thread last Dec/Jan. "Would you join a lawsuit" DVC back-off at the time, but still insisted they had the right to do it.

I end up spending money on things because I read about them from other DVC members. Two examples:

1) When I first bought into DVC, everybody was talking about Owner's Lockers. I decided that since I planned to go to Orlando at least once a year, it made sense for me to pay to store things down there. I'm okay with that decision.

2) Somebody mentioned how they keep a cutting board and paring knife in their Owner's Locker in case they want to cup up fruit to eat when they are staying in a studio. I bought a cutting board and paring knife to keep in my Owner's Locker. I'm sure it made sense for the people who mentioned it, but it was not a wise decision for me. What was I thinking? I don't even cut up fruit to eat at home.

The moral of the story is - just because something makes sense for another DVC member, stop and think because it won't automatically make sense for you to spend money on it.

Since purchasing a few years ago, the only expense has been the yearly dues.
And more trips, adding another contract, , Tables in Wonderland since we have APs and visit more often.
Guess there were a lot more "fees" since purchasing. And have enjoyed it all.

Another, discretionary fee would be if you wanted to purchase One Time Use points in the event you were a few points short for a reservation.
I'm sure this topic has already been covered, but in these situations, I'm assuming Disney charges you the current going rate per extra point needed? Extra fees besides the cost/point fee?

I'm sure this topic has already been covered, but in these situations, I'm assuming Disney charges you the current going rate per extra point needed? Extra fees besides the cost/point fee?
Correct it's the price per point which is inclusive of everything (including tax). It's a total of 24 points per membership and can only be used on reservations within 7 months. I believe the going rate is $19.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter