Hhi 6/2-6/9 2012

emmababy

DIS Veteran
Ok, I attempted this once before and my computer crashed.So here is take 2 of our week at HHI for the first time. We were in a 2BR with me, DH, DD5,DS3, DD1, and my Dsis and DBIL.
IMG_5448.jpg

DSCF3036.jpg

My crew headed out on Friday and made it to NC then stopped. Saturday we stayed at Comfort Inn by Coligny beach. For those who need somewhere to stay on Saturday to save points, I recommend this. Its walking distance to the beach and served a hot breakfast. We enjoyed lunch at Market St Cafe and then hit the beach. For dinner, we went to Kenny B's French Quarter Cafe

OMG, THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!

IMG_5443.jpg

I had the PoBoy and my hubby had the Grouper Melt and of course some Beignets. Very good! As a side note, the kids meals on the island are very expensive and vary from including drinks and a side to not including anything....

We checked into DVC on Saturday morning and our room was ready!:banana: We got settled and then took the kids to the pool and checked out the resort. For those who haven't been- it is AMAZING!! After a grocery stop and a much needed nap- we went to Sea Pines for a dolphin cruise that I got on Groupon. We had a blast, the kids had a ton of fun with the staff. After that, we went to Salty Dog. I was so nervous about this. I was afraid it was just a tourist trap. I was pleasantly surprised. The area was quite remote to get too. They have 3 restaurants all connected with some shops mixed in.The food was good and they had some kid activities. I thought Sea Pines was going to be like a big Strip Mall, but it soo wasn't.

We saw the lighthouse and to be honest, I was underwhelmed. It wasn't as big as I thought. They had some cute shops around there too.

After that, our DSis and hubby were arriving, so we went to meet them. That's alot packed into Day 2, but it was at a much different pace than our WDW trips...Loving the island and all the shade and seclusion.

Oh, and we saw 3 turtles and a Gator in the pond at Comfort Inn...

Thanks for posting!
Sorry I missed a chance to help with a photographer.
Looks like some of your little ones are photo ready while others couldn't be bothered. ;)
Sounds like you had a fun time with some good food mixed in.

Thanks! Yes, my son is not so into standing still!!! We got a few good ones, but it was super breezy that day...

We had a great trip, so much so, I would love to own a home there, lol!!!

Sorry for the delay!

Day 3- Monday
We set up at the beach. Got an umbrella for 2 days as we brought our own chairs. The ocean was very calm that day. The kids were loving the water. The sand was a little hard for sand castles but fun! We loved the beach house, having a snack area was great. Try a Monkeys uncle from the bar, yum!

DSCF3240.jpg

DSCF3232.jpg

We did build a large turtle and a mickey head that turned out good. After naps, we headed over to San Miguel's. The skinny margarita was yummy. We sat outside and the weather was great! The food was mixed, burritos were good, fish tacos got sent back,

Then we listened to Shannon Tanner. The kids loved him! And they had ballon animals, face painting and other free items for the kids.

We are so loving this island and so want to move here!

Day 4
Back to the beach we go! It was a little cloudy but still a great day! The umbrella helps! About 1:00, we left the kids with my Dsis and Dbil so we could go golf at George Fazio. It was nice to have some times to ourselves. The course was very nice and not crowded. We got rained on a little bit but still had fun!

Got back and it rained most of the afternoon. When it let up, we decided to get Giuseppe's and go to the pirate party at the pool. The food was great! Get a weggie, so yummy! The party was great! b'lou was there making balloon parrots, there was pirate face painting, camp songs, all kinds of games. My daughter and hubby did the ice cream drop, which was cute!

Then the skies opened up and it poured! We had to gather it all up and run to our room in the rain. I'm sure the rest of the party is cute but we missed it....

Day5
Still raining when we woke up.....the boys had golf today and the beach was out, so the kids and e women headed to Savannah.mi was so excited to go there! I,love historic Southwrn architecture and Paula Deen, so it's perfect.

So, I have a small phobia of bridges And no one mentioned the MAJOR bridge you have to go across,:scared1:

We did a trolley tour, which is a great way to see the town. We got off and went to Lady and Sons. No Paula and the line was 4 hours long. So, we went to the gift shop and walked across town to the Pirate house. Very cute place!

Then, we needed to go to Julia Gordon Lows house since my daughter is a Daisy. They gave us some cute pins for our troop. The town was so pretty and we could have walked all day, but the kids were getting tired and then my camera froze!

So, back to hhi and to Walmart for a new Camera:mad:

That night, we went to Parrots cove, since we had a coupon.PLease skip this place! No good at all!!!

More Shannon Tanner and shopping. Shelter cove is such a great place and love to just walk around!

So, it finally quit raining and we head to beach and wouldn't you know it, as soon as we get there, it rains.

This weather is really starting to depress me. At WDW, we put on a poncho and deal with it. At hhi, there isn't really anyone else to do. We wait it out and it stops. But the beach is cold and the water is rough. So, the kids nd I head to the beach house and swim up there. They are having a blast. We have a picninc up there.

We did go see Shadow and B'lou in the afternoon. It was a nice time! He tells great stories!
DSCF3025.jpg

That night we attempted to have a beach photo session, total fail. Way too windy and not very willing kids. After that, we split up. My 5 went to Palmetto dunes house for dinner. It was cute. Very casual but on the beach, they grill your dinner to order. Shrimp tacos were super yummy! We had front row to a wedding!
DSCF3046.jpg

DSCF3037.jpg

Went back and the kids wanted ice cream and Shannon Tanner again. Third time! They got tattoos and beads in the girls hair.

He sang Red Sippy Cup to the tune of Red Solo Cup

Red Sippy cup
Mom fills you up
It makes me potty
It makes me potty!

So funny! Next time we wAnt to do his pirate cruise!

This morning, the kids and I did breakfast poolside. They begged to swim first then beach. It was so peaceful. The Mickey waffles were very yummy! The pool was never too busy and the slide was a big hit! We stayed at the pool for awhile, then headed to our last day at the beach.

The weather was awesome finally! We stayed at the beach all day! And my shoulders showed it! We found live sand dollars today! We packed a lunch every day but today we split lunch from the beach house and it was good too!

I forgot to say we did the camp fire Wednesday and it was super cute, fun stories And s'mores! Outside our room was horseshoes and cornhole and a hammock too.

That night we headed to Coligny. Such a fun spot. There was a DJ and dancing for the kids, lots of cute shops.

We ate at Steamers and it was great! The corn fritters were amazing! My sis and i split a dish. It was quite speedy but very good! Kids meals at hhi are very expensive and rarely come with a side or drink....
DSCF3265.jpg

Day 8
Our head home day:mad:

We did breakfast pool side again and then headed home. Traffic home was long. There was construction in Tennessee that held us up for an hour.

Summary, we loved it all! Didn't get to eat at a few places we wAnted, but had a blast.

Faves
Dolphin cruise
Pirate party
Shannon Tanner
The resort was very relaxing

Not so fave
Weather
Parrot cove

We will def be back!!!

Great report!! Glad you had a great time and love your pix! We love HHI too!

Just FYI - next time you are there and its raining there are a few other things to do with kids in tow:

The Sandbox - is a interactive children's museum on the island geared to kids 1 to 10.

Coastal Discovery museum has all sorts of great programs and displays - on north part of island.

Movies - the island has two movie theaters one north and one south island

Bowling - also north island - and a brand new bowling/arcade area in Bluffton just opened up.

We were there this past week when TS Debby blew in and made use of several of these activities!! We go almost every summer and it was the first time we were there when we had rain out days, usually we would get just a later afternoon or evening T-shower and that's it.

Great report!! Glad you had a great time and love your pix! We love HHI too!

Just FYI - next time you are there and its raining there are a few other things to do with kids in tow:

The Sandbox - is a interactive children's museum on the island geared to kids 1 to 10.

Coastal Discovery museum has all sorts of great programs and displays - on north part of island.

Movies - the island has two movie theaters one north and one south island

Bowling - also north island - and a brand new bowling/arcade area in Bluffton just opened up.

We were there this past week when TS Debby blew in and made use of several of these activities!! We go almost every summer and it was the first time we were there when we had rain out days, usually we would get just a later afternoon or evening T-shower and that's it.

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't know about any of those!

We are really thinking about going there next. This report helped so much. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter