Hey nurses!! What's your card game tonight?

I was hospitalized about a month ago and was walking the halls late at night and early mornings (bowel obstruction and they said it would move things along faster) and they were playing hearts online. My wife plays the same game online with folks all over the world. Never saw them playing during the day, too busy. I joked with them and asked if my wife was playing.

[QUOTE="UncleMike101, post: 60527626, member: 512458"
Cops are in the donut shops all day.

I got to admit, every time I see a cop car in a doughnut shop I have to giggle[/QUOTE]

When I was fresh out of high school, I worked overnights at a doughnut shop, getting them ready for the next day. Our standing rule was that any cop in a uniform got free whatever they wanted. That way, we’d get random cops coming in and checking on the place. $5-10 seems like a good price for free random security checks.

Here at my hospital, the nurses have decided to play Rummy. I'm not a nurse, so I felt special when they asked me to join them. (I'm an RT)

After the rummy game, we may play War, because after all, we do have an entire 12 hours we have to fill.
I read something today saying the proposed legislation (how sad to have to legislate BREAKS!) includes RTs and STs, as well. So she’s lookin’ at you too! :p

Ridiculous. But, that's what I've come to expect. Sadly. Our level of discourse is ridiculously low brow these days.

Even as a student I barely have time to pee, or eat and I’m responsible for two patients max at this point...

Nurses, techs, etc all work incredibly hard! And no, they really don’t have downtime (unless you count the 5 mins they allow themselves to shove a protein bar and water down their throats 1/2 way through their shift).

Before my dad passed he was in and out of the hospital for five years. So much so that I had my hospital backpack to grab at a moments notice. I witnessed how incredibly hard these ladies and gentlemen work. They not only take care of the patients but their families as well. I have had nurses spontaneously hug me when I couldn’t keep from crying and take me by the hand and lead me out the room telling me to go home. They’ve taken my number and called me to update me on my dad and they’ve been straight with me and told me when thought I shouldn’t go home. I had an ICU nurse skip what breaks she managed to get to search online to try and figure out what the hell was going on with my dad. And they put up with a LOT of BS with a smile on their face. My dad was no angel at times and you witness a lot of families treating them like personal servants. Not to mention the way some doctors treat and speak to them. I have so, so much respect for them, they are the lifeblood of any hospital.
When I was fresh out of high school, I worked overnights at a doughnut shop, getting them ready for the next day. Our standing rule was that any cop in a uniform got free whatever they wanted. That way, we’d get random cops coming in and checking on the place. $5-10 seems like a good price for free random security.
Lots of small businesses have this policy for this reason. We gave 50% off to any police officer and if it was something we couldn’t discount like a newspaper we’d just give it to them and take it out of our slush or own pockets.

[QUOTE="kimblebee,
When I was fresh out of high school, I worked overnights at a doughnut shop, getting them ready for the next day. Our standing rule was that any cop in a uniform got free whatever they wanted. That way, we’d get random cops coming in and checking on the place. $5-10 seems like a good price for free random security checks.[/QUOTE]
We got free coffee at Dunkin Donuts and I always tried to pay for that.
They wouldn't accept money for coffee so we always put a couple of dollars each in the tip jar.

I have a FB friend who has been posting about this all day.
I get it, you are offended but really people say stupid things about pretty much every profession out there. Let it go. (This is not towards you OP, this is toward my friend and those like her who can't seem to get past it).
I am sure you would be jumping with joy if one of your elected officials tried to stop legislation to mandate a much needed break, saying that in your job you just sit around and play cards all the time.

I am not a nurse, but I will give a pass to everyone posting that might feel a bit put out that someone that is supposed to represent her constituents painted an entire profession as lazy. That said, most of the memes I have seen have been hysterical and done in fun. Nurses have a great sense of humor!

I have 2 daughters who work as RNs at a large hospital here and they probably bring their lunch home still in the bag 3 out of 10 days. The other days they eat standing up.

Playing cards overnight, online or otherwise, is not an option.

Last edited:
Wow! Her comment Is one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard. I kept seeing all these memes about it in Nurses FB group I belong to and had no idea what it was about so I looked it up. I was sleeping off my night shifts probably from all the cards I have been playing.o_O

I am sure you would be jumping with joy if one of your elected officials tried to stop legislation to mandate a much needed break, saying that in your job you just sit around and play cards all the time.

I am not a nurse, but I will give a pass to everyone posting that might feel a bit put out that someone that is supposed to represent her constituents painted an entire profession as lazy. That said, most of the memes I have seen have been hysterical and done in fun. Nurses have a great sense of humor!

Actually I'd roll my eyes and go about my day. I'd probably discuss it with my coworkers in the same profession and I'd probably even come home and rant a little to my dh.
What I wouldn't do is be so offended that I spent my entire day posting a meme on FB every hour about it.
Poking fun at it is one thing, being so offended that you (ironically) spend your day posting on FB is another.

My favorite meme of the weeknd:

57395669_868134343533022_5711995204450385920_n.jpg

Ignorant comment and it deserves every bit of commentary it gets, just like ignorant comments about other fields do. People who think that the nurses are on facebook posting during their shifts are just as ignorant as the originator of all this.

It's hard to hear the card playing thing without thinking of all the times I've had loved ones in the hospital and watched the nurses busy going from room to room working their tails off. I will say though, that I went and read the statements and I do feel like this whole thing might have been sort of misrepresented since she was apparently talking about people who work in very rural settings with few patients. There could be down time if you only have a few patients and they are sleeping. I can see how different break rules might apply there. In any career there is a variance based on the specific job assignment that needs to be taken into account, so I can see that one size doesn't fit all. The card thing just seemed so callous because even if there is down time while allowing a single or very few patients to rest, just their presence at the ready is so very important.

In general, I feel any working person deserves breaks. I know I always wished for them when I was teaching! In my current job (not teaching) I feel kind of silly taking breaks because I have freedom built into the position.

Let's face it, that state politician really put her foot in it and the backlash is to be expected.

My husband still hasn’t forgiven me for stating that getting summers off sure was a nice perk of being a teacher. :duck:

I am a nurse. There are busier specialties and shifts than others. In my time at the hospital, I had crazy busy shifts and dead shifts and everything in between.

Working nights is usually quieter and slower, which is why many nurses choose that shift. It’s worth the miserable sleep schedule to avoid the craziness that is day shift!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter