Here now (June 5th-9th trip) - the heat, crowds and EMH

erosenst

Mouseketeer
Day 3 of our 5 day trip. Have learned a lot from reading similar threads so posting before I forget. Here with DH and DD and her friend (rising high school sophomores). Top of mind good/bad/ugly in no order:

* It is REALLY hot. Heat index 100+, and uncomfortable even at 7a. For some reason evenings are much more comfortable.

* I swear by my little O2 Cool misting fan. No one else uses theirs.

* We each took insulated water bottles to the parks. For some reason we have never done this before but will from now on. Fill in room with ice and water, then refill with free water from anyplace that has a fountain. CMs have been uniformly helpful with this.

* We usually use string backpacks but that sounded too hot to me. I got a ChicoBag Bottle Sling after seeing it recommend by someone here. LOVE it. Holds my phone and my fan clips on. Easy to carry and to stow on rides.

* I finally found an outfit that works for me in this heat - a sleeveless dress (this ARANEE Womens Casual Fit and Flare Floral Sleeveless Dress https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074VT3RYK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lXS-Cb1HJRPFB and several similar) - dirt cheap, very cool, dries almost instantly if it gets wet, doesn’t wrinkle, takes up little room packing. Slight TMI but I wear a wicking bra and wicking shorts under. Shorts provide modesty - dresses are a bit sheer and climbing in/on/out of rides I don’t have to be careful, but the shorts also prevent chafing. Skechers with wicking sock liners have kept my feet in good shape too - first time ever.

* The crowds aren’t bad - but lines still long for the usual rides. DD and friend headed to DHS this afternoon after MK this morning. Got lucky with a TSM FP as 4th but waits for RnR, SDD, and ToT way over an hour.

* We went to EMH morning hours at MK today. Got there at 7:15 for 8a opening. Good news is we were done with SDMT at 8:16. Bad is that, even with relatively light crowds, it was crazy getting there - saw one guy get totally tripped by a stroller, a bit of pushing etc. Had I known the friend would convince DD to ride roller coasters I would have definitely gotten a FP for this and avoided the whole thing. If you’re doing during a busier period I’d shoot for at least an hour before opening.

* DD and friend went to evening (11p -1a) EMH and rode a LOT - longest waits were 15 minutes other than SDMT. If you can stay up that late it’s a better choice and obviously cooler.

* TL wasn’t crazy busy yesterday but a bit hard to find shade. We did but also found places we would head instead. next time.

* For the first time I can remember, online menus have been different than actual. Not major but may have impacted a couple of our choices.

* There are WAY more, and much more varied, plant based menu options than were avail in 2016.

* We are staying at Villas at Grand Floridian. We rented points as we have before. It seems ... less on point... than in the past. No text the room was ready (although it was ready early when we asked). Had to wait for someone to be done with their break so we could check in. Bell service hours are limited. Coffee isn’t available in the lobby til 7. No alarm clock in the room and only one bedside lamp (ie not on both sides of king bed). Nothing terrible but ...

* Offsetting the lack of magic above - saw a bride in a Cinderella carriage drawn by a team of six white horses.

This got longer than anticipated - happy to answer any questions!

Last edited:
Which menus were different if you don’t mind me asking?

Nothing major - but Trattoria al Forno showed a veggie pizza online. I had it last time and it was great so I was looking forward to it. They rotate seasonally but that hadn’t been on “for quite a while”.

Sitting at Typhoon Lagoon I looked at menus. The main restaurant (Leaning Palms?) showed one “not appealing to me” plant based item so I asked DH to get a chicken wrap for me while I found table. Apparently the whole back of the menu was actually plant based including an Impossible Burger that I would have definitely gotten.

Last one MAY have been on me - but 90% sure the STK Orlando menu showed a burger. They had slider appetizers that worked but no “regular burger” available for dinner.

We are here too. Got here Wednesday. So very very hot. I was expecting it but WOW! Today is better. “Only” 98.

We were at Epcot today (Saturday) - until noon was warm but doable - drizzly and rainy at first then overcast. Once the sun came out it was pretty close to unbearable in the countries. Fortunately we had a 12:30 Via Napoli reservation. DH and I walked around for maybe 30 minutes after that. Girls planned to stay a couple hours and hop to DHS. Instead stayed about 45 and are current cooling down in the room before heading back out to close DHS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter