Here Now - 12/31/18

Happy to report that Epcot was quite manageable IMHO. Avoiding the 7-7:30pm bottleneck from all the people leaving and the people going into world showcase, it wasn't that horrible. Even the lines for food looked shorter than expected.
The bathrooms at World showplace are the best kept secret, and the exit through IG to beach club and to drive back home after the fireworks was a breeze.
Happy 2019 everyone

Happy to report that Epcot was quite manageable IMHO. Avoiding the 7-7:30pm bottleneck from all the people leaving and the people going into world showcase, it wasn't that horrible. Even the lines for food looked shorter than expected.
The bathrooms at World showplace are the best kept secret, and the exit through IG to beach club and to drive back home after the fireworks was a breeze.
Happy 2019 everyone

And we left feeling the opposite and at this point will not return for New Years. Our last in I think 2015 was very manageable, lines but they moved, walkways were negotiable and we stayed from 11 am until midnight. We were staying onsite so walked to DHS and caught bus to hotel with no waits.

This year we opted to stay offsite (since we found last time that drink lines were too long to bother with so we were drinking water). We parked at DHS with same plan expecting it to be much better since the new entrance/exit has way more lanes, less cars to deal with. We enjoyed our time at DHS and headed to Epcot mid-afternoon. On arrival we were shocked at the crowds, the crawl of the pace to get anywhere. Lines were huge often blocking entry to other places. We briefly went in to Future World (the only respite) but without FP+ and long lines there was no reason to be in that part of the park. The first Illuminations (our purpose for going) we stood well over an hour to hold what would be our second row viewing once they made everyone stand. People were rude. Family was pushing in front of us and another woman shoved me from behind. I told her to stop pushing me and she's yelling at her husband to push people out of her way so she can get on the rail. There was zero personal space anywhere we went in World Showcase. We were expecting full and busy, but we even remarked we'd never seen so many CMs and they were every few feet herding folks.

We finally decided we had enough. You couldn't even sit and people watch or hang around music because it was solid bodies. We picked up a FP+ for RnR (our second of day) and head back to DHS for a break. We walked in and both immediately said "how festive, how happy everyone is" ... no pushing, lots of space to sit and enjoy, great dance party and music, snow on two roads, the projections ... just a positive environment. We enjoyed a bit of everything. We picked up FP+ not only for RnR but Aliens and the second Fantasmic. After that we were headed back to Epcot for the midnight fireworks and opted to stand on the bridge at the Dolphin and enjoy from there. Easy walk back to car and we were out and in bed (by SeaWorld) before friends who drove to Epcot even got to the Epcot parking lot exit.

I think maybe there is a different perspective when you are local and when you travel from out of town for the holiday. Traveling to Orlando, hotels, dining costs .... specifically to enjoy New Years .... not worth it. Had it been like 2015 - yes, but clearly Disney is filling those parks easily even on the most expensive dates.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter