Here is September 11th as it happened on the DIS...very long

Went to a 9/11 memorial last night. In previous years it was really crowded. This year not so much. Yes there many people there but it has dropped off.

Just discovered this thread. 9/11 probably affected me more than I realized or care to admit for years afterwards.. I wasn't directly affected by losing a lost one, or living in NYC.. but I worked for an airline back then.. That day I flew to Frankfurt for a one day meeting ( was suppose to fly back the same same day).. Well, I ended up staying a week. I was on the first transatlantic flight allowed in.. Frankfurt to Toronoto and drove to Chicago via a one night at a colleagues... It hit home what happened when we saw firemen collecting money with their boots at traffic intersections. Never forget that moment.

what scared me the most was My mom lived back then in Germany, my home was the States..

Realizing suddently how huge our planet is without air travel scared the living crap out of me.. All of sudden my home and family on both sides of the Atlantic felt so far removed from each other. Imagine a world where airtravel in a second doesnt exist??? Are we back to Titantic days to cross the Atlantic? Does one not ever see loved ones ever again? We take for granted trans-oceanic air travel. Those were my thoughts. That scares me. I felt really alone and so far from my family when I was back...

Also as an airline for months, years, our industry was turned upside down. People lost jobs overnight...

I was wondering if there was any sort on 9/11 tribute on the boards here.

Inspiration hit me suddenly yesterday, and I adapted and added to a poem I had written a few years ago. I now have a true 9/11 tribute poem.

Heroes
The boots have made their prints in the ash and soot
Only to be washed away;
His feet run to danger,
Not away.

The pants are scuffed and dirty from falling on the concrete
As he races up the stairs;
But they also are scuffed from kneeling down
To comfort a victim coming down.

The jacket is smudged and burned,
Even it couldn’t stand the intense heat.
It reminds him of his torn and tattered heart,
As he thinks of those he is attempting to reach.

The helmet is secured,
Protecting his head.
The mask attached to his tanks,
But the fumes are too strong and seep through.

An axe in gloved hands,
To tear through the walls,
Entrapping people
In a fiery furnace.

The boots now lay empty,
The pants and jacket carefully folded.
The helmet rests on top,
An ax beside them.

A cross-beam of steel.
Names upon monuments.
A new tower of freedom.
Flags stand at half-staff.

On this day of remembrance,
We look back to that day
When our very foundation was shaken,
But not broken.

We will never forget.
We will always stand
As a beacon
For freedom, heroism, and bravery.

May God continue to bless America,
Home of the free and the brave.

(First written Nov. 7, 2012, as a tribute to our soldiers. Adapted Sep. 11, 2017.)

That is such a wonderful poem, Allison. Very well written, heart felt words. Hits close to home for me as my son Vince is a firefighter/paramedic. Thank you.

OK. I hope I don't make anyone mad by bumping this back up, but I feel it's important to remember this day and this thread gives such a good view on peoples thoughts and feelings even as the years have passed since 2001.

OK. I hope I don't make anyone mad by bumping this back up, but I feel it's important to remember this day and this thread gives such a good view on peoples thoughts and feelings even as the years have passed since 2001.

I was just coming here to do the same thing. Though this is the first year since it happened that I didn’t realize what day it was until a few hours after I woke up.

It is a sad day but if you watch the video links I posted above about boat rescues and also the one about the town of Gander there was also a lot of good that happened that day.

Last edited:

Absolutely, weluvdisneyx4. Jenny put together such a meaningful timeline here of that awful day. Always good to see it again. We can not forget, ever.

We were all here, together, for each other that day. DH was safe, his plane returned to Portland when everything started going wrong. I was in Austin with DD and expecting the second one. You all were a great comfort to us that day. Such tragedy brought together such love and support. It's what keeps me coming back here.

Came here today to seek out this thread, as I knew others would too. This is the first year that I feel like I can breathe today; every other anniversary up until now it felt like I had an elephant sitting on my chest the week leading up to 9/11. So does that mean it’s getting easier? And if so, is that a bad thing or a good thing?

I’m glad to see others here today. Everyone remembers and makes a tribute in their own way. I have my traditions that I carry out every year. And thank you Shutterbug for again mentioning the Boatlift video. It is excellent and will be watched tonight at my house. Human nature at its absolute finest.

I wish everyone peace today.

I, too, was looking for this thread today. I think there are many of us who look at 9/11 as a turning point in our lives, the point when our entire futures changed in the blink of an eye. Never forget.

ETA... I can't believe I've never posted my story about 9-11. My brother-in-law is flight attendant for United, flying from Boston, mostly to LA or San Francisco. He was supposed to be working on United flight 175 on 9-11, but he marked out and got someone else to work for him that day, as he'd received a speeding ticket several weeks before and wanted to go to court to protest it, so he was NOT on flight 175 that fateful day. He lost many friends and co-workers, including the flight attendant who took that route for him. Never a year goes by that we don't remember this day, with tears and gratitude.

9-11 started like any other day. My daughter was in 3rd grade, in school, and DH had gone to work. I was in the basement office using the internet, and had come upstairs for coffee. I looked at the TV (it was tuned to Squawk Box on CNBC, with the volume down). I saw the tower burning, with black smoke billowing from the building in front of a brilliant blue sky. I was SO confused... I was thinking that perhaps Squawk Box was talking about a new Terminator movie or something... and then my phone started ringing. It was my youngest sister, frantic, as she knew that it was our BIL's plane that hit the second tower. I didn't know what she was talking about, as I still hadn't heard what had happened. Even when I turned up the volume, I wasn't worried; I knew he'd stayed home from work that day and didn't give it a second thought. Others only knew that that was one of my BIL's regular routes, and they were calling me, concerned, frantic, about what might have happened to our family... but it didn't. We had a close call that day, and my BIL ended up going to Logan to do what he could... $125 for a speeding ticket suddenly seemed like a small price to pay for being alive.

In a strange addendum to this story, this past summer (2018) we were in DC, where we visited the FBI, took the tour, wandered the museum. There, in their tribute to 9-11, is a piece of United flight 175, found among the rubble of the WTC and put on display. It's probably about 3ft by 4ft, all that is left of that giant aircraft. It was surreal to see my BIL's plane there, and know that we were the lucky ones, a family whose 9-11 story did not result in tragedy.

Last edited:
Time flies by and here it is again already. When this happened there was no facebook or any other type of social media to share thoughts about what was happening. This forum was one of the few places where people could come and try to find out more about the horror that was happening that day. As each year passes I find myself being less affected by what has happened. Though I still continue to go to a local community candle light vigil so I never forget all those that died that day.

Unpacking my box of dread and sadness today, just like so many others do each year on this day. I am glad that people come back to this thread each year. It really does matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!