Here is September 11th as it happened on the DIS...very long

Thanks for bumping this up.

Yesterday I watched many documentaries on the History Channel on 9/11. When my ds14 got home from school I asked him what they did for 9/11. He said they had a moment of silence. That's it???!!! My son just turned 1 when 9/11 happened. The school always had the kids do so much more. I don't want the kids to ever forget what happened.

I still get upset whenever I think about the attacks. We can never forgot this.

Yesterday I watched many documentaries on the History Channel on 9/11. When my ds14 got home from school I asked him what they did for 9/11. He said they had a moment of silence. That's it???!!! My son just turned 1 when 9/11 happened. The school always had the kids do so much more. I don't want the kids to ever forget what happened.

It's like with any loss, the memory is still there but the time between tears gets longer and longer.

My niece lost her entire company and my cousin died a few years later due to respiration of that horrible air. It still stings but like everything else in history, it loses it's importance. :(

I know this is from last year, but my daughter and I were just talking about what will happen at school. She says she does NOT look forward to 9/11 at school because they always talk about it and it's just a sad day. I can kind of see her point - no fun going to school when you know it's going to be sad. But I also told her that it was a very very VERY sad day when it actually happened and it's important for her to learn about.

I think I'll have her read this thread when she gets home. Thanks for bumping it, Shutterbug.

I know this is from last year, but my daughter and I were just talking about what will happen at school. She says she does NOT look forward to 9/11 at school because they always talk about it and it's just a sad day. I can kind of see her point - no fun going to school when you know it's going to be sad. But I also told her that it was a very very VERY sad day when it actually happened and it's important for her to learn about.

I think I'll have her read this thread when she gets home. Thanks for bumping it, Shutterbug.

It was a sad, sad day and I hope they show this on history channel and other channel every year! I don't ever want it to be forgotten because when it is forgotten, it will be repeated! Also, on that day of Sept 11, I will always remember listening to the tv and radio at work, all planes were grounded, everyone was wondering where the President was and our local Omaha Station an employee was driving home and called the station and told them over the air that he wanted to report he thought it was weird that all planes were grounded and one was landing at Sac Air Force base. I looked at my DW and said, "I know where the President is!" Sure enough about 3 hours later when they were sure he was safe and secure, they announced that he was in Omaha in a bunker and safe from attack!

I work in New York City and remember that day with crystal accuracy. I cannot believe it was 14 years ago.

I work in New York City and remember that day with crystal accuracy. I cannot believe it was 14 years ago.

Me too.

And the days and weeks after...the missing person signs, the smoke, the area itself...it's so hard to believe its been 14 years.

Its always such a hard day for me , especially living in NY

If you have any spare prayers please pray for the M. family. My son coached 2 of their sons on a basketball team. They miss their father terribly but sadly they were so young when he was killed.

Also for our friend J. He was a firefighter and his lungs were badly affected. He just had surgery. He has moved but I saw a picture of him on facebook and he looks sick and not well.

My cousin was an emt and had to decontaminate all the people coming over on the ferry to Atlantic Highlands.

I also just found out this summer that a boy I went to high school also was killed in the towers.

Praying for all the other families affected by this terrible tragedy.

It is a sad day...but some amazing things also happened that day that are not mentioned much.

One of them was biggest sea evacuation in history at the time. Nearly 500,000 people were taken off Manhattan Island by boat that day.

The other is the story of the small town of Gander Newfoundland, where 38 airliners were forced to land with nearly 7000 people. The town took them all in.

Also in a following day at Buckingham Palace, during the Changing of the Guard, the United States national anthem was played.

Last edited:
Still so sad. My AF son is home with his wife this week and because of 9/11 are flying back to his base Saturday and not Friday. To think they were only 12 back then. :sad1:

Bad, bad memories of the week following the attack. Just trying to find everybody. I still don’t have the words to describe it, and never will. I was DC-based at the time but had spent years before that in NYC. Three people I know were killed in NY and two in DC. The anniversary is very hard, as it is for all of us.

I can't believe it has been 14 years. I can still remember it all so clearly.

I agree. I live near a small local airport where small cessna type planes fly in in out of. I remember driving by it in late afternoon and seeing police cars barracading the entrance.

:sad1:
American-flag-911.jpg
:littleangel:

Bumping it again for this year.

One of a the things I think about is that there was that social media was not what it is today. No Facebook. Boards like this one is how people passed info.

As each year passes I wonder how much I will remember in the following year. Even though it was 16 years ago, I still remember so many details of what I experienced that day. As I grow older still that may change but for now, I wont forget that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter