Here and little one sick

I suggest no ice cream and no soda pop. These items will irritate the throat (freezing and carbonation respectively) and make you much more vulnerable to attack by germs and prolonging of the flu (or a cold).QUOTE]

As someone that used to get strep WAY too often, I can honestly say a cold soda was a relief. Helped ease the pain for a bit and the while the carbonation may have "burned" a little while going down it helped me in the long run. So I'm going to say do whatever helps your child the most there. Plus most kids are going to opt for room temperature or hot liquids when you are trying to push the most into them that you can.

Be careful generalizing this. Every child is different based on size, age and overall health situation. Some kids can go days without food. For others it could be very serious based on their situation.

If a child is too sick to eat, especially for more than a day, I always recommend talking to a medical professional about that specific child. One size does not fit all.
I talked to the on call nurse at my pediatricians office a couple of times a day. They were one, and although they became very week, they remained hydrated (a couple of teaspoons of liquid every 15 minutes, so they could keep it down). They didn't have any milk at all. The vomiting stopped after about a week, diarrhea at day 10. It wasn’t fun!

This is OP. She was very chirpy, wanted to be quite active and ate some. We kept up the fluids and stayed in the room. Temperature didn’t cross 101 but didn’t go down much. At a couple of points was 100.2. Didn’t give Advil today per nurse advice. Will see what tomorrow holds. I wouldnt give dairy but I was ok with electrolyte drinks if water was not taken but she is a sweet girl and got it. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Can we stop internet diagnosing this young child? If the fever continues, I would have her seen. Better safe than sorry. This flu is a rough one this year and I'd get that ruled out if nothing else.

And please, please, please follow the advice of your doctor or NP/PA, not some internet warriors. It is so, so dangerous for lay persons to give medical advice through a screen.

Can we stop internet diagnosing this young child? If the fever continues, I would have her seen. Better safe than sorry. This flu is a rough one this year and I'd get that ruled out if nothing else.

And please, please, please follow the advice of your doctor or NP/PA, not some internet warriors. It is so, so dangerous for lay persons to give medical advice through a screen.

OP. I am a little confused at this comment as that’s what I have been doing. I wrote, “Didn’t give Advil today per nurse advice.” The doc/nurse typically have a couple of minutes to speak. Parents here aren’t clueless imo and I have appreciated suggestions of others who have been there done that about general stuff, food, urgent care suggestions. Which NSDAIDs worked etc (e.g. doc had said tylenol or ibuprofen both work pick one). The doc also said if the fever doesn’t go above 101 which is a low grade fever and common and there are no other symptoms then wait 3 days before urgent care. I wouldn’t be so stupid as to exclusively follow internet advice. Thanks for your concern, that is appreciated.

I hope your little one feels better and you guys still get to experience some magic before your trip is over!

My boys are 3 and 5, and have both been sick often. We have been to the ER once and Urgent Care a handful of times. We have also seen >7 Ped practices. This is mostly due to either traveling or being a military family. Also, I have family/friends who are Peds/Internists, who have informally checked out the kids.

I agree with Happyinwonerland but will provide my experience as a mom in case you are just surveying what other parents have done. From all of the above, I've generally been told that absent a diagnosis, low grade fever may not require medication. It's just the body's way of fighting off something (if 3 or less days). However, you may give Tylenol to bring it down or for comfort. I typically only medicate my boys if it goes about 101 or 100.4, and I do it consistently (i.e. every 4 hrs) until the fever breaks. Usually, it doesn't come back but occasionally it has. I don't even see a doctor until it's consistent for more than a couple days or spikes to 104+ or the fever repeatedly comes back after breaking. That's only after 5 years of seeing a range of illnesses for cold, flu, rsv, ear infections, and upper respiratory infections and related issuesin my boys. However, it might be prudent to go to Urgent Care if your daughter does not frequently get fever and/or you're unsure of what to do. I think it's always better to be safe and get it checked out, even if the outcome is simply to rest. At least you avoided assuming any risk had there been a real issue.

For me, I'm the type of person who likes to know I did everything I could so I don't feel guilty later in case anything went awry. For some parents, they are more risk based decision makers or must consider other factors like out of pocket costs. Hope that helps.

OP. I am a little confused at this comment as that’s what I have been doing. I wrote, “Didn’t give Advil today per nurse advice.” The doc/nurse typically have a couple of minutes to speak. Parents here aren’t clueless imo and I have appreciated suggestions of others who have been there done that about general stuff, food, urgent care suggestions. Which NSDAIDs worked etc (e.g. doc had said tylenol or ibuprofen both work pick one). The doc also said if the fever doesn’t go above 101 which is a low grade fever and common and there are no other symptoms then wait 3 days before urgent care. I wouldn’t be so stupid as to exclusively follow internet advice. Thanks for your concern, that is appreciated.

OP, I trust that you are doing everything right for your child, and I'm very sorry if it came across any other way. I really didn't mean to sound that way.

I was more aiming towards posters who are debating what is/is not ok to feed your child and debating antibiotics, strep throat, ear infections. It just worries me that someone (not necessarily you, but someone else who stumbles across this from a google search) might actually listen to the internet people rather than their doctor (there are many, many people that seem to think they know better than doctors.)

I hope your little one feels better soon. Being sick away from home is no fun, but least she has her family there to comfort her.

My ds started running a fever on our first park day in wdw last year. Did and I also felt bad.
We went to urgent Care It turned out that he had an ear infection, dd had strep, and I had bronchitis and a sinus infection. My husband got sick at the end of the trip.
I recommend going to urgent care.

This is OP. She was very chirpy, wanted to be quite active and ate some. We kept up the fluids and stayed in the room. Temperature didn’t cross 101 but didn’t go down much. At a couple of points was 100.2. Didn’t give Advil today per nurse advice. Will see what tomorrow holds. I wouldnt give dairy but I was ok with electrolyte drinks if water was not taken but she is a sweet girl and got it. Thanks again for the suggestions.

This sounds similar to what my daughter has. She has strep and antibiotics are taking care of that but still has a fever that won't go down without motrin. I think she also has a virus. The doctors don't know exactly, except that she tested positive for strep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter