Help

bocaj1431

DIS Veteran
Hi all. We are staying at DW but will visit for one day at VB and one day at universal parks. We will be visiting AUG 17-23. I am not concerned about VB because we visited once before and had a great time. Unfortunately the one visit we had at universal Orlando was horrible. It was in the summer and it was packed. We couldn’t do anything within the Harry Potter section because the path is so narrow and there were too many people to get down the street or in the shops. Wait times even with the express pass were very long.
I know all the ins and outs of planning for DW and have a great time even when there are heavy crowds. Any tips for a day at universal?

I'll be honest, we never plan for USO, other than "this is the day we'll do the wet rides" and "we'll do the HP stuff very early and very late". We are always offsite, no EP, and we always have a blast. That said, we go the 2nd week of June, when the parks are less hot and less crowded, and we plan for a minimum of 4 days in the parks, so we can adjust. We usually do rope drop to 2pm, and sometimes come back in the evenings to ride after the rain clears people out of the parks. We find the wait times to be reasonable this way.

That doesn't work for your dates or single day itinerary. That week of August will be hot and crowded. EP is your best bet to get the most out of the day. So it could be very much the same as your last experience if you go in thinking it's going to be another hot, long, crowded day. So try to change your expectations.

Get online or get some books and prioritize what you want to do and what you can skip. That way you can get on the things you really want to and anything else will be gravy. Pick a table service that ticks all your boxes so you can get out of the madness for late lunch. Consider getting a 3 park pass so you can spend a day at VB, leave late afternoon, eat, and go to the other parks that evening. You can't do it all in one day in August.

I like doing the IOA part of HP in the late evening (we go on arrival day evening), bc we've had very good luck with short lines in Hogsmeade at that time. We did Diagon Alley first thing at rope drop the first time we went over there, and did Gringotts first thing. Then you can browse the shops and get some butterbeer. Because everyone heads straight to HP, we had amazing luck in the Studios riding less popular rides with little to no wait in the first 2 hrs after open. We routinely rode Transformers, Mummy (2x even!), Simpsons and MIB in that first 2 hrs. Minions was never short enough for us to even get in line, and my kids don't do big coasters, so we didn't even try Hulk, or RRR. We generally waited 30-45 min for Spiderman in IOA, but with EP , it could be shorter. Shows are great for midday, and I would suggest doing a meal in CitiWalk or one of the table service restaurants. That's my take, ymmv.

The standard advice is to get EP, rope drop the big rides, use EP for the others during the busiest time of day, and try to do the rest of the big rides / areas in the last few hours.

I hope you have a good trip and find the Uni parks more enjoyable this time.

I'll be honest, we never plan for USO, other than "this is the day we'll do the wet rides" and "we'll do the HP stuff very early and very late". We are always offsite, no EP, and we always have a blast. That said, we go the 2nd week of June, when the parks are less hot and less crowded, and we plan for a minimum of 4 days in the parks, so we can adjust. We usually do rope drop to 2pm, and sometimes come back in the evenings to ride after the rain clears people out of the parks. We find the wait times to be reasonable this way.

That doesn't work for your dates or single day itinerary. That week of August will be hot and crowded. EP is your best bet to get the most out of the day. So it could be very much the same as your last experience if you go in thinking it's going to be another hot, long, crowded day. So try to change your expectations.

Get online or get some books and prioritize what you want to do and what you can skip. That way you can get on the things you really want to and anything else will be gravy. Pick a table service that ticks all your boxes so you can get out of the madness for late lunch. Consider getting a 3 park pass so you can spend a day at VB, leave late afternoon, eat, and go to the other parks that evening. You can't do it all in one day in August.

I like doing the IOA part of HP in the late evening (we go on arrival day evening), bc we've had very good luck with short lines in Hogsmeade at that time. We did Diagon Alley first thing at rope drop the first time we went over there, and did Gringotts first thing. Then you can browse the shops and get some butterbeer. Because everyone heads straight to HP, we had amazing luck in the Studios riding less popular rides with little to no wait in the first 2 hrs after open. We routinely rode Transformers, Mummy (2x even!), Simpsons and MIB in that first 2 hrs. Minions was never short enough for us to even get in line, and my kids don't do big coasters, so we didn't even try Hulk, or RRR. We generally waited 30-45 min for Spiderman in IOA, but with EP , it could be shorter. Shows are great for midday, and I would suggest doing a meal in CitiWalk or one of the table service restaurants. That's my take, ymmv.

The standard advice is to get EP, rope drop the big rides, use EP for the others during the busiest time of day, and try to do the rest of the big rides / areas in the last few hours.

I hope you have a good trip and find the Uni parks more enjoyable this time.

Thank you for all this great advice. I feel much better about going now that I have some direction. A lot of great points and it’s greatly appreciated.

We were there Thanksgiving 2017. With Express Pass, we found all of the wait times very manageable. And it was packed. Without EP, agree with other posts- prioritize biggest rides at rope drop.

OP, park hours are 9-9 for your August dates

If I was going in the summer, I would do the parks on a Monday or Tuesday for less crowds
Be at the park around 8:30 so you will be up front in the lines to enter the park when it opens to the public

One park will have opened at 8 for the onsite hotel guests but the park won’t be packed due to that once you enter

Other park will be opened for all guests at 9:00

OP, park hours are 9-9 for your August dates

If I was going in the summer, I would do the parks on a Monday or Tuesday for less crowds
Be at the park around 8:30 so you will be up front in the lines to enter the park when it opens to the public

One park will have opened at 8 for the onsite hotel guests but the park won’t be packed due to that once you enter

Other park will be opened for all guests at 9:00

Thanks for the advice. I checked the crowd calendar and you are right about Monday and Tuesday. So we will switch to Tuesday. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter