HELP!

Well..... tough question. For some folks the motivation is a bad report from the doctor..... high bp or high blood sugar..... or being diagnosed as pre-diabetic. For some folks the motivation comes from wanting to keep up with their children (or grandchildren). For some it is just pure vanity.... and there is NOTHING wrong with that! And for another group of people it comes from just being sick and tired of the mental state that comes from being constantly angry with yourself for being out of control..... you know, another new year's eve of PROMISING yourself that THIS will be the year that you will lose the weight.... doubly aggravating when it is the 5th new year's eve in a row that you've made yourself that promise. I think many people are just not willing to make real changes..... but if they only realized how WONDERFUL life is at a healthy weight, I'm sure they might think twice. Quick fixes rarely work long term.

I just remind myself that I ONLY need to get through today (or sometimes just the next HOUR). Take it in terms of baby steps..... make one small change at a time. It is hard to go from zero to one hundred all at once! Start by changing a breakfast routine..... or by adding some exercise/activity. Once that is an established routine (and you realize how much better you are already feeling physically and mentally) add the next change.... perhaps less fast-food or processed food.... and so on and so on. HTH.................P

I sign up for lots of races. I just love getting medals...also, the positive energy of running events is very contagious....but really, it's the medals. It's a little sad how motivated I am by them. :)

That's good advice. I like that! Thanks :)

Glad to help..... but hope it didn't come off at condescending. I know of what you speak, I've been in the "I want it so bad but I have no motivation to make it happen" camp many, many times! Good luck..... let us know how you are doing!...........P

I keep telling myself if I want different results, I need to behave differently. and keeping active in the monthly weight loss thread here helps me stay on track!

sometimes having someone to hold you accountable. I created a self challenge for working out and it helps me stay motivated and keeps me moving forward :)

I think you have to want to do it. I tried the gym in college, I tried doing things on my own after college, I tried the wii fit and other things after that. Once I finally decided that I wanted to get in better shape and decided on a schedule I knew I could do it was easier. Feeling better once your done helps too. My back can be cranky from sitting all day and after a run on the treadmill after work it feels better.

After almost 4 years of going to the gym and doing a couple of races the past few months, I now get irritated when I can't go to the gym because something comes up or I don't feel well. Don't get my wrong, I do still purposely skip days and I built in a skip day every other week because I knew if I didn't I would burn out and skip more often.

It's all what works for you and sometimes it takes more than one try before it sticks or more than one motivation tactic before you figure out what works for you.

For me, there were a few things for the initial motivation. For years I had known I was overweight but I never really gave it much thought. But then last year I was finally harassed by my family to for a physical. Once the appointment was made, I had all these horrific thoughts about possibly being diabetic, cholesterol, sodium problems and so on. On the day of my physical, much to my surprise, my blood work test and physical revealed that I was actually on a decent track, I just needed to exercise. Then a short while later I saw a photo of myself at a family function, and I thought "wow is THAT me?" It was not the most flattering of photos to say the least.... So fast forward about a year later, it took me a while to figure out what would work best for me, but last January I was around 250lbs, and in Jan 2016 I'm at 220, I bought a treadmill and I use that 4-5 days a week, and on the days I don't use the treadmill, I try to make sure I take the dog for an extra good walk.

Like anything there are days where I think "nooooooo" and all I want to do is be a couch potato and order pizza, but I just remind myself how far I've come and that I'm not too far off from where I'd like to be. My daughter is also good motivation :) She likes skating, snow tubing, swimming 'n stuff!!

What keeps me motivated is liking the the feeling of being fit and healthy overall. I have more health issues now than when I was younger but it helps to remind myself that I would feel far worse if I didn´t exercise and eat the right things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts