Help with my post-DL itinerary please

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
We are going to DL 8/6 - 8/11. After that, we're not quite sure what to do. We will be on vacation for 2 weeks. We want to do 3 days in Vegas and also want to get up to San Francisco to tour and visit friends. My problem is this: If we go to Vegas right after DL, we are stuck paying weekend rates which are sky high compared to weekday rates. Does it make more sense to go straight to San Fran from DL and then go to Vegas last? How long of a drive is it from San Fran to Vegas? Is there a good place to stop over for a nite or two between the two places - somewhere with something interesting to see or do? Thanks for any advice.

yes - do SF on the weekend and vegas mid week. You will get MUCH better rates at vegas on a weekday, and there's more to see and so in sf on the weekend, such as ww.fireenginetours.com

If going in summer you could go via Yosemite then over Tioga pass, but this would be more of a 2-3 day drive than a 1 night stop over. Worth it though as Yosemite is just sensational.

But it's a huge drive from SF to vegas - wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to get a cheap flight? From airports like Oakland you can get one way flights for $50 and they only take 2 hours or less. You would save money on accommodation, fuel etc. Check out airlines like Southwest.

LucyKate said:
But it's a huge drive from SF to vegas - wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to get a cheap flight? From airports like Oakland you can get one way flights for $50 and they only take 2 hours or less. You would save money on accommodation, fuel etc. Check out airlines like Southwest.
A few people have suggested this but personally we'd rather drive. Even if we got a flight for $50, that's actually $150 for the 3 of us. Plus the added hassle of returning one rental car and getting another in Vegas (we want a car while there). And, of course, that "2 hours or less" doesn't include the time spent getting to the airport, going through security, waiting, baggage claim, etc. In the grand scheme of things, driving doesn't really take all that much longer than flying, its much less of a hassle and we enjoy seeing the sights along the way. Of course, we drive from NJ to WDW every year so under 600 miles from Vegas to SF doesn't frighten us.

Looking at the map, it seems that maybe we could go via the Fresno area. I've searched online and there seems to be more than enough to do in that area to occupy a day or so.

I also don't mind a big drive (distances in Australia are just as big) and we used a car for most of our US trip which involved:

DL 5 days (without car)
Then drive to SD (2 nights)
Drive to SF (2 days drive to get there then 3 nights in SF)
Drive to Yosemite (2 nights)
And then we drove to Bakersfield to pick up a cheap flight to Vegas (Fresno was closer and cheaper but the airline there, Allegiant, wouldn't accept an overseas credit card booking).

We flew that last leg because we could see little of interest between Yosemite and Vegas (and because it was winter Tioga pass was closed and we had to go around the sierras).

Everyhting in Vegas was walkable (unless also planning to go to places like Red Rock or Grand canyon) so we didn't bother with a car there.

If I was you, I'd take an extra day, go via Yosemite and stay there 1 night, then go via Tioga Pass to Vegas, this would also allow you to drive near or through Death Valley.

LucyKate said:
If I was you, I'd take an extra day, go via Yosemite and stay there 1 night, then go via Tioga Pass to Vegas, this would also allow you to drive near or through Death Valley.
That sounds like a neat idea. I'm going to look into that. Thanks a lot.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Yosemite is my first love, so if you can go that route, great. Just keep in mind that that is a top tourist destination in California. You may have to spend the night either just before going in, or over on the other side - make sure you get you accommodations.

There are an almost too many things to do in CA. If I were driving from DL area to SF area I would spend a night in Monteray and vist the aquarium. It is fantastic. The LA Zoo is actually very nice, San Deigo is all anyone ever talks about but the LA Zoo is a nice zoo. I highly recomend the JP Getty. Even if you are not an art museum kind of family, this is so much more than an art museum. Both JP Getty museums are fantastic, the villa must be open by now??? If you are an art museum kind of family the Huntington Gardens and Library (which is inland, not at the beach) is well worth seeing. They have an outstanding collection and beautiful grounds. Oh and while you are in So Cal think about a day at Knott's Berry Farms. It is a great theme park, we never miss it. Check at a Von's (local grocery store) to see if they have discount tickets. You need to sign up for a 'Von's card' but it is free and you can buy the tickets on the spot so you can use a fake address if you want to. Of course there are the beaches. I lived in Huntington Beach so it never seemed that special to me, but now that am land locked I realize that it is a pretty neat beach. I am also very fond of Laguna beach. Oh and have you ever heard of Trader Joe's? Do the have those by you? If not, and this sounds kind of crazy, but I never miss a chance to visit one. It is a grocery store. Yes, I amtelling you about another grocery sture. I go for the wine. Locals call it two buck chuck, best two dollars you will ever spend (so long as you like wine). There is a great story behind it too. Other random thoughts... I love Santa Cruz, and many of the other small costal towns between LA and SF, you really miss the charm of CA if all you see are Orange County and San Francisco.
I'll be in SoCal just ahead of you. Alas, aside from our 3 days in Disney we are tied up visiting old friends and old people who are related to us. We might make it to Knotts and I will try my best to get to the Getty. I am also off for a quick trip for the start of the big celebration (my Mother's Day gift) so I will try to post a quick trip report. We are only doing the land not DCA this time around.

After Disneyland, you might try heading up the Golden State freeway, I-5 to San Francisco. It's such a gorgeous city and you will love driving your car down Lombard Street for kicks! Visit Fisherman's wharf and have a fabulous meal at Alliotos or Scomas (if you love seafood!) You might take a quick drive to see the giant redwoods (unbelievable!) then you can head east to Lake Tahoe, which straddles the CA/NV border and spend the night on the shore of the coldest, clearest lake in north america (IMHO, YMMV) The next morning, YOU MUST go have breakfast at Heidi's, a pancake house there. Look it up in the phone book and be prepared for the best pancakes of your life. There are ghost towns along the way and some of the loveliest land you've ever seen. THen drive to Vegas and have a ball!

Alternatively, you can drive down to San Diego and stay a couple of days. See Legoland, the Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Tijuana, ETc, and then make the 5 hour drive to LAs VEgas.

Good luck whatever you do!

::MinnieMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter