Help! Why won't Disneyland (anywhere on property) accept a renewed DL or Tribal ID as Proof of age?

Stinasmom

DIS Veteran
This may be too legal or technical of a question to get quick answers, but a Google search hasn't helped nor has talking to anyone who would talk at the Parks!!

My DD and her DB are at DL resort right now. Her DB turned 21 just this last Saturday. As it turned out his license also expired that day, so he went to the Dept of licensing to get a new one.
They gave him a cardboard type temporary to accompany his expired one until they mail a hard type one.

He is now on Disney property, and they will NOT accept the "paper" copy even accompanied with the expired hard copy.
AND to make it even more discriminatory, he is Native American and has Tribal ID to show his age too!

They are traveling to California from Washington State... althought that shouldn't matter...

But VERY disappointed that he will be treated this way through out the Disney property!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who to talk to?
(they tried restaurant management and anyone who would listen at the DL Hotel...)

Thanks!!

CA has become VERY strict on business that serve underage...even if it is a fake ID...so many won't just accept without a valid permanent government issued ID to cover their butts. It is not a Disney thing, it is any business that serves alcohol and needs to be overly cautious thing.

What is the issue? Getting a drink?...here is a tip for him...present the government issued ID WITHOUT the paper temp card when he is carded. Most are just looking for verification of the age on the State ID card and will not look at nor care about the expiration date. He is getting screwed by trying to do the right thing and presenting the valid temp card as poof of ID. I am not saying to do anything illegal, but don't give them a reason to question the ID by presenting the temp paper copy unless asked for it.

...unless he has a hole punched in it...then it may be tough luck.

Last edited:
Found on the DL website that they don't take temporary IDs ... I get that.. but he has the original (expired) to back up the age AND the tribal ID that should, SHOULD be as valid as any other US issued ID!!

The website lists Passports as the only other form.... C'mon! He's NATIVE AMERICAN! With ID to prove it! With his AGE on it!

His ID was fine for Target, the nearby liquor store, and of course, TSA!! to get there!!

C'MON DISNEY!!

Last edited:

But VERY disappointed that he will be treated this way through out the Disney property!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who to talk to?
(they tried restaurant management and anyone who would listen at the DL Hotel...)

Thanks!!
California has very strict laws regarding alcohol sales. California requires a valid US state ID or license (paper is not acceptable), a passport, or military ID. While tribal IDs are allowed in some states, California requires ID be from a Federal or State agency.

Now, Disneyland has a big stake in keeping their licenses. Employees who are caught not following the laws will be fired. Disney isn't going to risk their liquor license. They actually bring in secret shoppers to verify their servers are following the laws. (My daughter has been one.) It's too bad he didn't do his renewal prior to the date.

This is customary everywhere. I'm sure they don't want to lose their license by serving someone without a valid I'd. If it's paper or expired it's not valid.

I guess I don't understand your comment about "he's Native American", does that mean you think they are singling him out because of his heritage or that they should give him Lea way because of it? In either case, I'm sure it has nothing to do with nationally, they are following the rules, they do it for everyone.

I'm not a drinker but I know the bars and Vegas won't take a paper I'd either so it's not just disney

Last edited:

C'mon! He's NATIVE AMERICAN! With ID to prove it! With his AGE on it!
In California , it isn't an acceptable ID for alcohol. I understand it is acceptable in Washington, but it isn't here. Also note, in CA, id has to be valid, meaning not expired.

California:
ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF ID - CALIFORNIA
  • A valid driver's license issued by federal, state, county, or municipal government.
  • A valid passport.
  • A valid passport card.
  • An identification card issued by the Armed Forces of the United States that contains the name, date of birth, description, and picture of the person
In Washington-

1. Driver’s License, Instruction Permit, or I.D. Card issued by any U.S. State, U.S. Territory and District of Columbia.
  2. Driver’s License, Instruction Permit, or I.D. Card issued by any Canadian Province
  3. Valid Washington State Temporary Driver’s License
  4. U.S. Armed Forces I.D. Card (Encrypted signature acceptable)
  5. Merchant Marine I.D. Card issued by the U.S. Coast Guard
  6. Official Passport
  7. Washington State Tribal Enrollment Card (No expiration date required)

For what does he need his license for? I don't think you need one to purchase a park ticket. The only thing I can think of is trying to purchase a drink would require a license. Is it just getting a drink at the restaurants that he is getting denied for? Is he still able to enter Disneyland?

If he just wants a drink, he can probably just go across the street to purchase one. If he is denied there as well, then you'll have to know that it's a California law, not just a Disney policy.

Sadly, its not Disney's policy but Californian law. When we go to Disneyland, we have to carry our passport as ID. And not only for drinking (I don't actually drink) but for any form of ID. For example, when I go on 6 Oct to take the tour we have booked and paid for, I have to bring my passport with me. They will not accept my Australian Government issued drivers' licence nor my state driver's licence.

However, when we go to WDW, we do not have this issue and other of my driver's licences work.

It is very frustrating especially if I am wanting to go on a water ride while I have my passport. My passport is not something I want to loss, have stolen, get wet, etc. But it is a State law.

Thanks for the replies. I had a hunch you all would have more information than I could find on Google!

I feel bad that my daughter's DB should have renewed his licence WAY before the acutal expiration date to comply with California's requirements... but, Sheesh! How would he have known!!??

Lesson Learned is tough but true. Ouch.

Again, thanks for the California information. Guess we didn't think it was so different between states.

Two weeks ago when we there we went to get a drink at the Cozy Cone Motel....I had my BC drivers licence but they wouldn't accept it, they wanted my passport (all our passports were back at our hotel in the safe). Bummer. When we had lunch at Carthay Circle, however, never once did they ask for ID when we had wine. Odd.

Wouldn't the renewal receipt (temp license) be considered valid? I know that's the whole point of them giving them is so you have valid id

California:
ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF ID - CALIFORNIA
  • A valid driver's license issued by federal, state, county, or municipal government.
  • A valid passport.
  • A valid passport card.
  • An identification card issued by the Armed Forces of the United States that contains the name, date of birth, description, and picture of the person
My daughter works in a grocery store in California. She gets yelled at by customers on a regular basis because she won't accept a different ID than what is listed above. She will call for the manager to come talk to the people and the manager says he will come, but never does. Meanwhile, if she ever accepts anything other than the above, she would be fired and the store would be fined. People don't care and will keep yelling at her anyway.

So a Canadian DL isn't an accepted ID? My husband and I are both in our 40's.

Per Californian law you'd need your passport. Odds are 50/50 you'd be IDed but if you are your Canadian DL won't be enough. HTH

Last edited:
Per Californian law you'd need your passport. Odds are 50/50 you'd be IDed but if you are your Canadian DL won't be enough. HTH
Good to know, we usually keep our passports locked up in the safe while we are out at the parks

I used to work for a federal agency that had to 'id' people before offering services.

The thing is, there are more types of ID than Carter has pills. Would you be able to verify that that Zimbabwean driver's license, that University of Mumbai student ID, or that Kalamazoo MI library card is authentic? No, me neither. There's no way for someone to be able to verify what is and isn't valid just by looking at it unless you are familiar with that particular document. BUT, we had 'guides' for passports and US driver's licenses (facsimiles, fraud markers, etc) to assist us in verifying that they were the real deal. Disney probably has something similar to fall back on.

California's ABC doesn't give a rat's patootie if you 'thought' that a document was valid. They'll pull your license faster than you can say 'No booze for youze'.

I'm 57 years old with a white beard, so no one will mistake me for a minor, but during our August 2016 trip to Disneyland I was asked for ID 6 times when buying alcohol:

- twice at the Target store on Harbour
- twice at the CVS Pharmacy at the corner of Katella and Harbour
- twice in the lounge at the Hyatt Place

The employees seemed quite embarrassed to be asking, but it was clear that they were not willing to serve me alcohol without first seeing ID.

Interestingly, I did not have to show ID at Mimi's, at Storyteller's Café, at a liquor store beside Target, or when getting free beer at the Homewood Hotel during "happy hour".

The good news is that they accepted my Canadian (Albertan) driver's license, so I didn't have to carry my passport everywhere.

Since I've never had to show my ID during any of my other numerous Disneyland trips over the past twenty years, I assume there must be a recent change to California liquor laws which requires establishments to be more strict?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter