Help us with motion sickness rides

julesann

DIS Veteran
We did Flights of Passage at AK today and I was nauseous and dizzy for 3 hours. I can do roller coasters, I'm fine with Tower of Terror and Mission Space but this 3D ride really got to me. Can you let me know which rides I should definitely and maybe avoid at UO. Thank you. Or maybe I better take some dramamine. Thank you!!!

It's so, so impossible to answer this. Boats make me queasy but only the Simpsons really gave me trouble at Universal. Dh couldn't do Forbidden Journey (sick the rest of the day); I had zero trouble with it. Unfortunately none of us can tell you how you'll react and if you take down a list of rides that bothered individuals then you might be left with zero rides left to ride.

Thank you all for the input and perspectives...yes bchbetha it is all relative but a general perspective is very helpful for me. I'm curious about Forbidden Journey---I may try it but my brother is now clear that he will not try it.

I've never been on Flights of Passage. Can you describe the ride? Do you have any idea what aside from the 3D may have been a problem? Does the ride vehicle move like a simulator? Is the motion smooth or is it more sudden and jerky (for lack of a better word) Can you handle regular 3D movies? Have you ever been on Rise of the Resistance at one of the Disney parks, and how well did you do on that ride? (If you can answer some of these questions, I may be able to help). My advice would be take dramamine.

I've never been on Flights of Passage. Can you describe the ride? Do you have any idea what aside from the 3D may have been a problem? Does the ride vehicle move like a simulator? Is the motion smooth or is it more sudden and jerky (for lack of a better word) Can you handle regular 3D movies? Have you ever been on Rise of the Resistance at one of the Disney parks, and how well did you do on that ride? (If you can answer some of these questions, I may be able to help). My advice would be take dramamine.
We did Flights of Passage at AK today and I was nauseous and dizzy for 3 hours. I can do roller coasters, I'm fine with Tower of Terror and Mission Space but this 3D ride really got to me. Can you let me know which rides I should definitely and maybe avoid at UO. Thank you. Or maybe I better take some dramamine. Thank you!!!
This won't work for you right now but scopolamine is a prescription medication for motion sickness (patch behind your ear) I noticed 0 side effects. I cannot ride forbidden journey, minions, Simpsons without it.

This won't work for you right now but scopolamine is a prescription medication for motion sickness (patch behind your ear) I noticed 0 side effects. I cannot ride forbidden journey, minions, Simpsons without it.

I use scopolamine as well. Simpsons puts me out of commission for a while without it. It does help tremendously but I cannot leave it on for more than a day. It dilates my eyes causing blurry vision and sensitivity to light and causes severe dry mouth, it also causes agitation. I am bringing Bonine for a backup this trip.

I am a huge fanof Bonine for motion sickness. It is a chewable pill you take once a day with almost no side effects.

I take Bonine and have not had problems. I also close my eyes on the 3D rides if I feel myself getting dizzy/nauseous.

I agree with using Bonnie or non drowsy Dramamine. I now need to take one every morning before any type of ride but it works!

The Simpsons and Forbidden Journey give me the most trouble.
Have you tried over the counter patches? They are amazing for me. Without them even Transformers was too much, its like Spiderman but longer, if you can hanfle Spiderman with no problem at all then Transformers should be ok.
Checkout YouTube for FJ to see the ride motion.

For Forbidden Journey In Hogsmeade. This one tends to really get folks that are sensitive.

I agree with the a above poster Simpson’s is another one that will be a problem.
THIS! I don't typically get motion sickness from rides, but every time I have tried this one I get sick so avoid it now. It is super cool inside the castle, so maybe if you are with friends go with them through the line so you can see the castle but leave before getting on the ride. Unfortunately, UO has a lot of virtual reality-type rides, and those are more likely to cause motion sickness. But seriously, if you have any sensitivity I would avoid this one unless you have some sort of medication.

We don’t do coasters or anything with a drop but at Disney love FOP, Mission Space Green, and Star Tours. We don’t usually have issues with motion sickness but do not know if we will have a problem on the simulator rides at the Universal parks. My DH has health issues so checked with his doctor and he said either the prescription patch that lasts 3 days or an over the counter pill are fine it is up to him. Which do you think is better to prevent feeling sick that won’t make us drowsy and if we go with the patch on our first day there how long before we go on a ride should we put it on?

Friend uses the patch - works like a dream. Usually put it on the morning of, and refresh it every 3 days. Put a round bandaid over it to keep it more secure.

For reference, she can't even comfortably do Spiderman without it. With it, she can do all rides easily, except no back to back on MiB. Once is okay. The spinning is her largest weakness (we skip teacups).

Dramamine does not work nearly as well for her, plus even the non-drowsy makes her drowsy.

You can also definitely drink with the patch ;)

Is the patch easy to get from your doctor? Would it be something you could call on and ask for?

My DH actually had a visit with his doctor so asked him the question which is best for him and he put in the order for it with the pharmacy. I believe when we last went on a cruise we wanted to have the patch to be on the safe side and I think he just called and asked but that was years ago.

I've done a ton of research because I also have rider issues so thought I'd chime in. Spoiler free except motions, no ride plots or scenes.

Simpsons is a simulator under a giant Imax style screen. The car you're seated in has some incredible updated hydraulics and can also lift up and slide forward and back. It's going to be like Star Tours but a step above Star Tours in intensity. Maybe two steps up. Depending on the person it could be more or less intense than FOP. I can do FOP but I'm passing on Simpsons.

Spiderman and Transformers: A track vehicle with SFX and screens at key intervals. The Transformers screens in particular are 60ft tall. Simulated dropping with no actual motion, just your eyes tricking you. Screens are not full domes.

MIB: Darkride, occasional spinning, much less than teacup style rides. Flat, no drops.

Gringots: Indoor coaster style with screens between bits, big screens, motion hydraulics. One medium drop at the beginning, no other drops. Very action intense less motion intense.

Forbidden Journey: You are on a seat on a full motion crane arm. It will move you in three dimensions of motion and extend you out to dome screens which show motion flying segments. At a few points it will flip you back to lie prone on your back but no further. Very intense. Imagine you are on a spoon and someone is doing the "Here comes the plane" method of trying to get a baby to eat.

JP River Adventure: Boats, some lift climbs, Intense animatronics, one huuuge drop at the end. A nope even though I love the franchise. *Insert sad face here*

If I'm wrong on any of my research please chime in. I leave for the trip in a week and a half and don't want surprises XD

The prescription patch is a godsend if you love rides but can't handle them. I had tried dramamine and various other things in the past and while they may take the edge off, they would never be enough to let me ride all day. With the patch I did 4 full park days with back to back rides and no issues at all. It was glorious. I put it on the night before the first park day, switched at day 3, and by day 5 was having SLIGHT blurry vision. Totally not noticeable until I tried to read fine print, and just... couldn't. It was a little disconcerting, but went away within 24 hours of removing the patch. Dr said not to worry about it. I will use it again next time we go.

The day we arrive we have an early flight unless SW changes it so figure to get to PB resort by 11 am and have lunch at City Walk before heading to either IOA or US. We plan to put the patch on when we get to the hotel. Should we try FJ and Simpsons that afternoon/evening or wait until the next day so will be almost 24 hours with it on or does it not matter? Or do we need to put the patch on the night before we leave?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter