Help please with driving plans and motel suggestions.

Plan A or Plan B

• Plan A

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Plan B

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

suevee

<font color=red>I am in a frenzy!<br><font color=r
I am 66 and driving by myself to WDW. It has been about 3 years since I have done such a long trip by myself. I am starting from a place a little south of the Baltimore area, Howard county.

Plan A.
Leave at 6 am on Thursday June 14th. Try to make it to Savannah by 6 pm. Stop south of Savannah. Continue to WDW on Friday, June 15th.

Plan B
Leave about 2 pm on Wednesday, June 13. Drive about 4 hours and stop somewhere south of Richmond in the Petersburg area around 6 or 7.
Leave at 730 am on Thursday, June 14 and drive to Jacksonville area around 6 pm.
Head to WDW around 8 am.

Which would you do? And any suggestions for comfortable safe motels?
Thanks

I assume leaving on Wednesday in the AM isn't possible. If that is the case and you are driving alone I would go with plan B as that will get you to Orlando in the AM. I agree with looking at reviews on TripAdvisor.

I would like to have a shorter drive on the day I arrive at WDW which is why I don't want to break it down evenly. The reason to leave Wednesday afternoon around 2 pm or Thursday morning by 6 am at the latest is the DC beltway traffic.

I am retired and can leave whenever. I am not sure if it would be a more relaxing drive taking 2 and 1/2 days or if that would make the trip to tedious. Coming back I will have company and 2 more drivers so it will be easier.

My family arrives on Monday and I have reservations starting the Friday before so I have some alone time to explore and recoup from drive.

Originally I planned to leave Friday am and arrive Saturday but I pushed it back to leaving on Thursday with arrival on Friday....now Wednesday is starting to look good...lol

IMHO, leaving Howard County (I'm live in Columbia) at 2pm is too late. I try to be heading south on I-95 well before 3pm although the Express Lanes starting on the western side of the Beltway heading south are great. Worth the price.

Well maybe 1 pm....and I do use fastpass

The "problem" I see with A is the traffic heading into DC and into Richmond. Beyond that you shouldn't have much trouble.

Here's an option. Howard County to Lumberton, SC (approx. 6 hrs behind the wheel not including breaks). The next day, Lumberton, SC to Palm Coast Fl (approx. 6 hours drive time not including stops.) The next day, Palm Coast to WDW - approx. 1.5 hours but could be a bit longer due to I4 traffic.

I agree with a PP that said one option was too little driving on one day and the other option was too much on one day.

We are just south of DC and when we do the drive we leave after work on a given night and drive about 4-5 hours (depending on gas/food stops) stay at: Quality Inns & Suites Civic Center, 150 Dunbarton Drive, Florence, SC - we've stayed there 4 times going and returning and price is good, rooms clean, and hot breakfast is good. That leaves about 8 hours drive the next day, including gas/food stops. Since Howard County is about 1.5-2 hours north of me, the above should split things pretty much in half for you, unless your specific departure and/or desired arrival times make this unworkable. Good luck with your trip.

Here's an option. Howard County to Lumberton, SC (approx. 6 hrs behind the wheel not including breaks). The next day, Lumberton, SC to Palm Coast Fl (approx. 6 hours drive time not including stops.) The next day, Palm Coast to WDW - approx. 1.5 hours but could be a bit longer due to I4 traffic.
This may work for me.

I think I will leave at 1pm. Drive with this destination in mind. Then just drive as far as I can the next day. With Palm Coast as my objective, WDW if I feel comfortable driving further. Thank you

Last edited:
on a given night and drive about 4-5 hours (depending on gas/food stops) stay at: Quality Inns & Suites Civic Center, 150 Dunbarton Drive, Florence, SC
And if I am up to it this will be my second destination. I will allow myself 2 1/2days for safety...but if I make it in 2 so much the better.

Coming back home I will have my 2 GRANDDAUGHTERS who both drive with me so it will be easier.

Suevee I see you predicament and share it. DW and I are both retired and have very near the same trip as you. ( We live in Kent Co. Delaware just north of Dover ) We travel in a 36 ft Class A Motor Home and I am the lone driver. while your trip will take place in June with longer daylight hours ours is in Dec/Jan and sunset is far earlier. I have my stops that we like and have found by experience work very well for us. We also travel with 2 dogs so we take them into account too. I also plan our stops with the idea that problems can happen and our departure can get delayed or travel time might be extended thanks to traffic conditions. That being said we look to do 95% of our trip over 3 days and on day 4 only travel for an hour to check in. It works well for us. We arrive early check in get set up, Explore Fort Wilderness with the dogs, obtain new AP's and TIW card, and go offsite to get our Golf Cart. That's my 2 cents worth. Having that first full day available to us once we arrive makes the days ahead an easier go for us

Having that firstfull day available to us once we arrive makes the days ahead an easier go for us

I agree. And I don't want to be so tired I waste a day recuperating. I don't bounce back so fast anymore. :crutches:

We or should I say hubby, drive down most of the time. He likes to get the most driving out of the way on our first day. He tries to leave about 4-6 hours for the next morning. We find that stopping in Jacksonville works out great (we have also stopped right before Jacksonville).

We make many restroom stops/too many actually. We like to take our time. We also stop for a meal or two. We have started to bring lunch/or dinner in a cooler. Hubby got sick once after eating on the way down. Since then, we try to prepare something healthy/light and fresh fruit :)

I would go with Plan A. Rest, plenty of stops and always keep in touch with someone :).

Son is driving down too alone in a few days - of course, I am going to worry.......good luck and have fun!!!!

Having that firstfull day available to us once we arrive makes the days ahead an easier go for us

I agree. And I don't want to be so tired I waste a day recuperating. I don't bounce back so fast anymore. :crutches:
That first day to take things easy no matter how long we take to get there is a life saver. In 2011 on DW's First Ever trip we took the car and did trip 1 shot (Left home at 1 am arrived Reception Outpost 7 pm ) after getting some dinner we zonked out and spent next day just hanging out at Typhoon Lagoon.
Next trip we split over 2 days. Went to Days Inn Hardeville SC ( Just off 95 Opposite fuel stops and has a Cracker Barrel next door. ) Got messed up with departure (Didn't get on the road till like 1 pm) and then did Bay Bridge Tunnel Route and got lost in Virginia Beach so ended up on the SLOOOOOOW route back to 95. Got to destination at like 9 pm Next day left for Best Western outside of Sea World had a good breakfast at CB and made destination by like 4:30 pm. Even going Sea World the next day we had no problem getting into Disney Mode the next day.
Up and down I 95 you will find all the Major chain Hotel/Motels so I would see where you can get a discount from AMAC, AARP, AAA or any other program you might have available to you.

Personally I would drive to catch the auto train (I believe it is in the DC area) and take that down. Since you will have 2 granddaughters with you to help with the driving on the way back.
At your age you are close to my parents and inlaws ages though a little bit younger than they are. Even with 2 of them driving and knowing that my dad only recently dropped his interstate commercial license with just about every endorsement possible (only one he never had was passenger-he said no way on earth he was every driving a bus) including hazmat, doubles, and triples I would be nervous as all get out over their driving 11.5-12 hours a day.
That said both my parents and inlaws have made 6-8 hour drives but that is having 2 drivers so they can switch off. They are also willing and able if it is necessary to make an additional stop even if they are not pulling a camper as they often do. My dad will often ask around at truck stops to get the news on the ground as to how the roads are going forward especially if he knows something is going on such as bad weather.
If you did have to drive it I would recommend driving no more than 4-6 hours a day plus a nice hour long stop in the middle of the time for a lunch so it would be drive 2-3 hours take a break drive 2-3 hours and stop for the night. Yes I have done 4-6 hour drive stints myself stopping only for gas but I am over 20 years younger and I have had a 2nd driver if necessary to take over should I get too tired to drive.

Sweetpeama thanks for your concern. I am tweaking my plans. I enjoy driving and usually take 5 to 6 hour drives by myself to visit family out of state.
I have decided to drive no more than 6 hours a day then stop and check out my surroundings and get a good night sleep so I am not over tired when I arrive. I have no time constraints and I want to enjoy my drive down and stop a a place that offers a workout room so I can stretch my muscles each day.
So I am tweaking plan B. I will leave between 11 and noon on Wednesday, drve 6 hours then stop. On Thursday i will leave around 8 am, stop at noon for a sit down.
Get back on road at 2 pm and drive to 5 pm and stop no matter where I am. Then the on Friday I will hit WDW rested after about a 2 to 3 hour drive.
I know this is a snail pace but again I am looking forward to this adventure and I have the time. I bought a comfortable van last year with this in mind.
On the way back with five grands I will take 2 days if broke. But if I still have some moolah we may take a side trip to the beach for a day. Retirement is fun. Thank you again for your advice.

I will leave between 11 and noon on Wednesday, drve 6 hours then stop.

If I might suggest, depending on where you are starting in Howard County, Lumberton NC would be close to your 6 hour point. It has a good selection of lodging and food right off the interstate. We stayed at the Best Western in Lumberton on our trip south in 2015. Nice people, basic, clean room. Don't know if it had a workout room but I am sure you will find a place in that area that does.

On Thursday i will leave around 8 am, stop at noon for a sit down. Get back on road at 2 pm and drive to 5 pm and stop no matter where I am.

From Lumberton you will be about 8 hours, plus stops, from Disney. That would put you well into Florida if you decide to stop after 7 hours of driving. In 2015 DW and I did it in 8 1/2 hours to a few miles southwest of Disney with two quick stops along the way. I did all the driving.

I totally appreciate your desire to take the slower pace. I had decided on an 8 hour maximum drive period for our trip south from NH. We stopped at 6 1/2 hours in southern New Jersey to visit family for two days. We left south Jersey at 9am with reservations at Lumberton, NC., arriving in the predicted 8 hours. We took our time the next morning, again leaving at 9am and arrived at our place in Davenport at 5:30pm. We took the slightly longer way around Orlando on 417 to avoid the rush hour traffic. For me it was a lot of driving but after a good nights sleep I felt pretty good the next day.

Wishing you safe travels!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter