Help Please Clearwater or Anna Maria Island?

atisikitabasket

Mom Always Said I was a Little Off
I know this is not really Orlando but all I know for vacation is Disney so I know someone can help me out. We are looking to travel for just 4 nights in June to one of these locations we are a family of 5 - me, DH, DS12, DD5 and DS1 all they know is Disney vacations. This will be our first attempt at a laid back relaxing spending time together trip :) (fingers crossed) Anyway in Clearwater looking to stay at Frenchs Oasis Hotel - retro little suite rooms. It is not right on the beach but only 3 block walk and it has a pool which is a must we would take one day to go to clearwater aquarium. Anna Maria is calling my name because it looks really quite and laid back and not as busy we would want a place right on the beach with a pool but I am just wondering if there is much else to do on the island? Even though I want relaxed and laid back I know we still need some stuff for the kids to do. Which ones beaches would be the least crowded in June? :goodvibes

PS sorry I kind of rambled :flower3:

No personal experience with either, but have you considered Coco Beach area? I've read really good reviews on their beaches, and there's a LOT to do there: airboat tours, parasailing, the beaches, Kennedy Space Centre etc... Lodging your best bet would probably be to check on www.VRBO.com. Many places only have a 3 night minimum.

We went to Anna Maria Island for the first time this Dec. I have wanted to see the gulf for 10yrs. Did much research and this is where I picked. And thrilled I did. quant island with no high rises.. not fast food chains.. its great. My kids 13 and 15 loved the beach.. now we were only there for two nights and my hubby and son both got the flu day before so we only drove around once for a little while to explore area. My daughter and I had lunch on the beach and walked to a few stores. Collected shells, watched dolphins swimming by, stingrays and we just enjoyed the beach.. which was right out our door.. We stayed at the Beach Bungalows.. very clean, comfy beds.. a small clean pool, we did not use it though. During warmer water season I plan on returning to the Island for a longer stay, as I want to explore the Island more, rent jet skis, fishing, shopping etc. :beach::lovestruc

Ugh, everyone stop talking about Anna Maria.....the secret will get out. Seriously though, Anna Maria is great. You can get a house with a private pool very close to the beach. There is a public beach access with a playground and there is a trolley that our son loves to ride. Motes aquarium is within 30 minute drive and I believe it is free if you have a zoo membership that gives reciprocity (ours did).

We have always rented through Anna Maria Accommodations and had no issues. They normally have good last minute specials if you are daring enough to wait.....admittedly though we normally go in May when it is a little slower.

Anna Maria Island by a mile. Clearwater beach is very over rated. Maybe to spend a day there but I would never spend extended time there.

I practically grew up on Anna Maria Island, and it's beautiful. There's not much to do, except go to the beach. Avoid The Sandbar (beach restaurant). It has really gone downhill.

Both sets of grandparents wintered on Anna Maria Island for years and years! Very fond memories from childhood. Not much has changed today. It's like stepping back in time. However, it's not for everyone. AM is very quiet, as previously mentioned. Beautiful beach...but you have to head to the east coast for real waves.

We enjoyed Clearwater Beach when we went in 2009 or 2010? DD was about 7 and we found it to have just the right amount of things to do to go along with our beach time. The Clearwater Marine Aquarium (the one made famous by the Winter's Tale movies) was interesting and easy. The beach was nice with a playground and there was a pier with a nightly craft market. Ocean activities, plenty of restaurants etc. We stayed at the Clearwater Hilton.

Love Anna Maria. We were always a busy vacation family having visited WDW many times. And we are pretty busy at home too. We went to Anna Maria four years ago and have never looked back. My kids now 13 and 11 look forward to the two weeks we spend hanging out at the pool and beach each summer. Not a ton to do but really they don't mind. That surprised me. It also surprised me that I don't mind having much to do but enjoy nature. The beach and wildlife keep the kids entertained and they have two piers and some shops to check out. There is a free trolley that you can take to explore. Sarasota is not far and we really enjoy visiting MOTE once or twice during our stay. We usually go to Sarasota a few times during our stay when we need a break from the beach. Our favorite beach is Coquina. Stunning! We usually rent a house with pool. Wish I was there now!

What traej73 said. I totally agree. If you are really itching to go to a theme park, you can hit Busch Gardens one day, but other than that it is simple relaxation and family time.

Hi, I'm from NW Bradenton, and when we go "back home" to visit, we don't even stay with family.

We always stay at the Tortuga Inn, hands down the best place to stay.

We have tied Tampa area several times and greatly enjoyed it. We stayed near the airport, so a bit of a ways to Clearwater. Still, Clearwater was really nice. It is a built up beach. Where we stayed is probably not where you have in mind, but we thought the area had lots to offer.

For a more natural beach we tried Caladesi/Honeymoon Island. Both were very beautiful. If you use the ferry, you are only allowed to stay on Honeymoon Island for - I think 3 hours, but that was part of the fun.
the island had beaches, the shuttle boat (small fee), kayak boats (limited numbers to rent), small lunch place, restrooms, hiking trails.

The Gulf coast is beautiful! Both beaches we visited had tons of shells compared to East coast beaches. I like the waves on the Atlantic Coast, but would absolutely go back to the Gulf Coast! You might want to try kayaking!

Gulf coast beaches warned of stingrays. Stingrays seem to mostly be present April to October. Jellies are also possible at any beach.

The drive from Tampa to WDW is also not bad. (a bit further to Clearwater) If I can't find good airfare to MCO, we now try Tampa (and happily spend time there.) then again last year we had fun driving all over FL.

I've long traveled FL beyond WDW, but with new price hikes, we have been eager to explore! I can't say enough great things about visiting St.Augustine and the Everglades/Big Cypress. (though that's a ways from Tampa, and would be pretty warm in June!) FL beyond the mouse is excellent!

It looks like I'm in the minority, but for me and my family I'd do Clearwater Beach. I just love Clearwater, think the beach there is beautiful, and it's my kind of beach. But I'm not that much of a beach person, so I like a lot of other activities too. And I like a happening beach with lots of people and activity vs. a secluded pristine beach. Anna Maria Island is just a little too quiet for me. As a kid/teen we did quite a few family trips there, and it was OK, but a little boring to me. I played lots of shuffle board, did a lot of fishing and I don't even like fishing, read a lot, etc. // Dream vacation for some I'm sure. Now in Clearwater, I walk the beach and pier, go to Crabby Bills for dinner/drinks and the great guitarist, visit the Clearwater Marine aquarium, always meet people to visit and talk to (very friendly place), take a little dolphin/mansion tour. I love doing little mini vacations there. And Clearwater is awfully close to Orlando. I'm one of those people too that prefers theme parks and Orlando to beach -- same pattern in my preference for Clearwater. A Clearwater / Orlando combo is always quite appealing to me.

Even my spring break this year is to Puerto Vallarta, a charming pretty big place with tons to do (wonderful restaurants, whale watching, zip lining, remote village tours, international friendship club home tour, food tours, colonial architecture, zip lining, tons of Mexican charm, plus beach -- the list goes on and on. And I think it's a absolutely beautiful place and love to get a view to die for of the Bay of Banderas. I recently saw a travel writer, though, say he hated Puerto Vallarta and loved Yelpa (a quiet small fishing village in the same general area of Mexico). I'm the exact opposite.

Last edited:
Kathy884, we enjoy both kinds of beaches, but I agree, the busier beaches have more to offer! We tend to visit quiet beaches for a day, and the busier beaches for a weekend or longer. (though I've never been to AMI.)

I'm also not a fan of renting a house where I'm expected to cook, make beds, and mop. That's not a vacation to me. (though I am willing to buy minor groceries and change hotels.)

We keep talking about taking a quiet vacation, but every time we try, we end up busier than expected. If we aren't doing something, we get bored.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter