• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me win a battle against the family to stay on site!

Cj2017

Mouseketeer
Traveling down to Disney with 4 families a total of 18 of us. My wife and I have been before but everyone else has never been to Florida. I have been managing everything and have everyone booked at Wilderness Lodge (mid-October) with four park days. However, everyone is starting to push back and ask why we don't just rent a house as this will save about $2000.00 a family. The last time I went was in 2012 and remember how magical it was staying at the wilderness lodge getting the boat to the park, Fast passes ( I know they are gone right now), and extra hours. I want all the kids to experience the same thing, but the only thing I can sell on right now is the potential for magic extra hours. They are saying with the money we save we can go to the beach, universal, have a private pool and a lot more room. Any suggestions on what I can counter with or am I just being stubborn at the magic will still be there if we rent a house?

they are arguing "Our group is too large anyways to take advantage of FP if we all want to ride together and dining is going to be near impossible to get reservations all at the same table"

I always stay on site, have never stayed off site. But I think you'll have a tough time right now trying to convince someone who's never been that staying on site is worth it honestly.

Have you considered a moderate or value resort that's on the skyliner? It would help save some money while still being on site and you have a fun mode of transportation! The kids would definitely enjoy the theming at the value resorts.

I think a lot of it depends on the make up of the group, ages etc.

There are a lot of the perks missing right now that used to come with staying on site so that may be a factor. I'd stay on site for the 4 park days then off site the rest of the trip

$2000 is a big amount. I can see why others are happy to stay off site for those savings especially if they have nothing to compare it to. Group vacations are hard. Everyone has different budgets & different priorities. Is a different on-site hotel an option?

Can you stay on your site with your family if it's important to you? Meet the rest at the parks? You'll still have the same itinerary.

Your family could always stay at wilderness Lodge and then meet the others at the parks each day. They are probably right about getting fast passes all together and dining all together. That probably won’t happen.

we talked about mixing a beach day into the Disney vacation but it never works out. Disney is too magical to leave. The closest we’ve gotten is one day at Seaworld at the beginning of our third annual trip. We just needed something different at the beginning to make that trip stand apart versus the other two previous years

However until you’ve stayed on property, you just don’t know what are might be missing by staying offsite. Would they consider a moderate resort like Port Orleans? That might bring the price down and make it more comfortable price-wise and it’s still a very nice resort

Dan

they are arguing "Our group is too large anyways to take advantage of FP if we all want to ride together and dining is going to be near impossible to get reservations all at the same table"

I mean they're not wrong. Why do you all need to stay in the same accommodations? Let them rent a house offsite and meet up for meals and park time. Unless you're willing to foot the bill for everyone to stay onsite.

1. It could be a money issue. 2. Without knowing what the status of FP will be hard to sell based on that. 3. Are all of them get up for early entry and stay late for EMH people? If not then those aren’t selling points. 4. WhT are the ages? Will they all want to do the same things? Keeping that large of a group together usually means SLOW moving

It sounds like they want to experience more than Disney. I have not stayed offsite in several years but the magic isn’t in where you sleep it’s the experiences and in your heart.

Honestly, what others have said: because of the current situation, I don't think you can give them that amazing "first impression" we all enjoyed when we stayed onsite in past.

I'm concerned that your good intentions will backfire: you'll bear 100% of their resentment/bad feelings if the experience doesn't live up to $2k's worth of expectations & they feel they're "out" all this $$$ they didn't need to spend.

My suggestion: let them save money on sleeping arrangements & feel good about that. Then splurge on a wonderful after-hours park tic, an AK or EPCOT behind-the-scenes tour, the Hoop De Doo dinner show (if reopened by then) or another extra treat tailor made for groups to enjoy together. It can really make a trip extra memorable & would only cost a few hundred per family at most vs $2k. Win. Win.

Last edited:
We mostly stay offsite but have stayed onsite as well, both deluxe and value. For us, the magic is what you make it! $2k is a tremendous difference in pricing, and I certainly can’t justify the pricing today. Disney is different now than what you remember from the past. For people not already “drinking the kool-aid” or all-in for Disney, I think they’re going to have a hard time spending that money and seeing it the same way as you. Just something to keep in mind

Honestly, because of the situation right now, I don't think you can give them that amazing "first impression" we all enjoyed staying onsite in the past...so your good intentions may backfire and end up causing a lot of resentment if the trip doesn't live up to expectations - and $2k is a LOT of expectation, lol.

My thinking: let them save some money on sleeping arrangements and maybe use part of that savings to splurge on a wonderful after-hours park event, Hoop De Doo if that's open bay then... or splurging on one of the many WDW upsells that can make your group's trip extra special?
We mostly stay offsite but have stayed onsite as well, both deluxe and value. For us, the magic is what you make it! $2k is a tremendous difference in pricing, and I certainly can’t justify the pricing today. Disney is different now than what you remember from the past. For people not already “drinking the kool-aid” or all-in for Disney, I think they’re going to have a hard time spending that money and seeing it the same way as you. Just something to keep in mind

I want to particularly emphasize those two points. Even beyond the accommodation issue. Making yourself responsible for the happiness of 17 other people is asking for a lot of unnecessary stress. As Disney vets we know there's no such thing as the perfect trip. I know you mean well, but you're in for a world of disappointment if you are so focused on having the "perfect" most magical trip for first timers. Take a deep breath and relax. Let them pay what they're comfortable for. You do not need to stay on site to have a magical vacation.

One thing I didn't see you mention was your transportation. With 18 people, that's easily 3 rental vehicles. If you already planned rentals, that cost is probably a wash. But if you had planned Magical Express you'll have transportation and parking costs each day with an offsite house. That won't add up to $2K but still something to keep in mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter