• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help Me Decide! New Mermaid Tail Color Poll:

Which Color Do You Like Best?

• KONA GOLD

• PURPLE

• FIRE CORAL

• ORANGE

• RED

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted for Fire Coral. It seems flashy yet refined. ;)

While you are at it, you should totally get one of these mermaid seaweed tops to complete your look. :thumbsup2

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MerBellaStudios

btw....we need a mermaid smiley. We have a pirate so it would be fitting.

I actually have a home made sea weed shells top, but in the water, it's hard to see the full look in the water. At one point in time, it had a star fish, but believe it or not, the star fish didn't survive the salt water?! Anyway I need to add that back too before next year. Here is another photo that might show you the shell top (in its former glory) better.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/923452_105636076305318_866438223_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/944810_116989405169985_697985025_n.jpg
I think you can see the sea weed better in this one maybe?

My shells have held up pretty good, but I spent over 18 hrs sewing/glueing them by hand!

______
Someone asked about the tail itself, they actually can be quite expensive as they are from a swim training company. They were designed to help 'exercise' sports swimmers to develop their dolphin kicks when they start the races I guess? Us mer people have taken them over. When I first got my tail, I just stuck two regular snorkel style flippers in them. Then I found the single monofin at a liquidator shop, no kidding, for $2.50! I wanted to die! I had to pick up a replacement strap for it, but holy moly I was SO happy! It looks great in all the photos and swims well. I want one stiffer version next if I can get my hands on it. This is the company that makes them and had have a wide range and style and varying stiffnesses (the harder, the more 'challenging', this one is called the Wave and is pretty flexible, considered a 'beginner' level.) http://aquaworld.net/fins/monofin_wave/ (this is the one I have.)

FINIS is the company that makes the monofin inserts. You can either purchase the entire tail kit that comes with your color 'tail' and an insert fin like this, or you can just buy the 'tail cover' (which is what I do) and then either buy your own monofin or use your snorkel fins, etc., whatever you want to do. I have noticed the monofin gets nice propulsion that is very natural for me, so I recommend even the low end monofin if you can find/order one that is a good price because its more efficient power (you don't have to work to use the legs in unison, if that makes sense.) Some can cost $70, if you find one for $40, not bad, if you can do less than that, even better!

Thats a super cute story. She has a mermaid troupe! Love that. I noticed she is exactly my age...31... there must be something to that...as in LITTLE MERMAID coming out in 1989 when we were 6..very memorable time... (and a blonde too! Talk about cookie cutter!) I wish I had a silicon tail, but alas, I'm happy with my $70 hobby vs $5000!

Thanks for everyone's input so far! It's kinda nice after a busy day at work to think about just fun stuff for once... (ok a lot, but still! :)

Btw, I have been hoping for a mermaid icon for a while now!

I voted for the orange because I think it will have the best visibility in the water. It would be closest in color to the required life vests which I agree do not look like they belong on a mermaid! I always like when my dive buddy has yellow or orange fins. Makes them a lot easier to see under water.

I would LOVE to swim with a monofin some day! Back in my competitive swimming days I swam butterfly, so I'm very comfortable using a dolphin kick even with my regular scuba fins. I first saw a monofin being used by a freediver, so it doesn't surprise me at all to hear the power you can get from it. I am in awe that you were able to find one so cheap!

I'd love a tail, but at this point I would look more like Shamu than any mermaid I've ever seen. Wouldn't be pretty! :scared1: My wetsuit is bad enough!

I agree, we need a mermaid smiley!

My favorite was actually the Rainbow, but out of the options to vote on, I went with the Fire Coral (although Kona Gold was definitely in the running).

You need to come up to NYC one summer and participate in the famous Coney Island Mermaid Parade! Your tails would be a very big hit!

I did think about rainbow but I think it would be cuter on a junior mermaid and make me look not so junior...

Appreciated the Diving comparison, that is helpful. Perhaps its why so many of the Hollywood mermaids (Splash, H2o) have orange tails. Every color kinda gets washed out a bit under the water and that may have some of the better visibility to get picked up on camera. I have some time yet, so I'll leave the polls open for a while.

Although purple is my favorite color and looks cool, my eyes went to Kona Gold first. But the fire coral is also cool.

Jodi

You know, that makes me think of dressing up as a mermaid on Pirate night...only cut out "leg holes" in the back, so I can walk....

You can buy "tails" where the bottom is left open so you can walk. I thought about being a mermaid for pirates but then I had a rockin pirate look from my Ren Faire days so being a mermaid and pirate wench in the same day was pretty stinkin awesome!

What do you guys do at CC after you put your fins on and get in the water? Pictures? Snorkeling? Diving? General splashing around? Just curious.

Appreciated the Diving comparison, that is helpful. Perhaps its why so many of the Hollywood mermaids (Splash, H2o) have orange tails. Every color kinda gets washed out a bit under the water and that may have some of the better visibility to get picked up on camera. I have some time yet, so I'll leave the polls open for a while.

I liked both of the top vote getters so far, Kona Gold and the Fire Coral. In the small color samples I couldn't tell how much of the yellow/orange color would be visible when the fabric is made into a tail. The red tones will tend to disappear more both in the water and in underwater pictures. The orange with it's yellow highlights will stand out well.

Whatever your final choice, I'm sure it will look awesome! I'm hoping you will post pictures so we can see how it looks as the finished product.

I love the idea of dressing as a mermaid for pirate night! (insert mermaid smiley here!)

lilpooh108 said:
What do you guys do at CC after you put your fins on and get in the water? Pictures? Snorkeling? Diving? General splashing around? Just curious.

Well we were short on time this time but when we finally left all of our fishy friends back at the far edge and made the long swim back, most of the families were back on board (about 3:30 by then) and I floated on an inner tube and waved my tail at passersby and CMs. A few families still on the beach came over to take pics.

I need to plan better this time. 5k, food, hit the water.

perfectmatch300 said:
I liked both of the top vote getters so far, Kona Gold and the Fire Coral. In the small color samples I couldn't tell how much of the yellow/orange color would be visible when the fabric is made into a tail. The red tones will tend to disappear more both in the water and in underwater pictures. The orange with it's yellow highlights will stand out well.

Whatever your final choice, I'm sure it will look awesome! I'm hoping you will post pictures so we can see how it looks as the finished product.

I love the idea of dressing as a mermaid for pirate night! (insert mermaid smiley here!)

Its hard to tell from the swatches. Interestingly, Twinkie's tail of Pink n Aqua shows a LOT of the pattern in the overall tail despite the swatch, so if that is the basis, quite a bit of it is likely to show up. I would like to order one with a pattern because its more interesting (scale like I guess) and would look as "busy" next to hers.

Given the fact that orange seems to have the higher visibility (or that's the consensus), the Kona Gold seems to offer the most choices of a pattern with bright orange. I'm wondering if its enough to be bright enough but it is nice anyway.

I also just realized that you can upgrade with a "dragon tail", which has extra streamers flowing behind you, and I believe the streamers can be a different fabric! I may end up with the Kona Gold (the pattern will show up like Twinkie's and still be in the orange/red category) and then get the Fire Coral accents with the streamers... Why choose 1 when you can choose 2! I love both of those as well but the consensus is really appreciated. Btw, its not very visible in the swatches, but you should see these tails shine! They are sooooo iridescent! The silver pod sister's shines like rainbow and Twinkie's has like blue iridescent shine. My jade is losing its sparkle (well it does get a lot of use!) But they are really quite fetching with different textures and colors.

I appreciate that every few months when I check their website, they have grown with even more fabric choices (no patterns were available when I ordered my Jade tail.) This company has a heck of a lead time (fyi for anyone considering a gift with a deadline) I think I'll give myself til about Feb to get my mermaid shape right and get my measurements. That should be about right to get by April/early May. (Sometimes turn around is fast, depends on orders of course. They assign you and order number and then I checked their Facebook to see which orders were shipping out since they are custom.)

And I need to fix my shells and put back a (water sealed) star fish. My winter will have crafty hobbies and a whole lotta elliptical.

BTW!!!!! I get to see Twinkie in a month!!! Wahoo! 5 days is all we have had this yr :sad: and we are flying out to West Coast and camping over Labor Day! Twinkie Time! Woohoo! Next time I see her after that will be May for our Disney trip! Makes me :sad: and :) at the same time!

Another vote for Kona Gold.

but I really just wanted to say that this is AWESOME!!!

OMG I would totally join you. Now I want a merman tail. Do you ever have any mermen?

Yes, the video posted by PP shows a merman and mermaid who do shows together.

I suspect we will get more to the Mermaid Story for Pirates of the Caribbean on the next shows... I think that when she took him below the surface, I think she was saving him! We shall see!

_____
Hey people, I'm going to introduce a NEW COLOR into the mix based on a suggestion from Work. SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE. A good pattern, similar coloring to Twinkie, but possibly even brighter than the KONA GOLD...

You can revote (how can I update the poll, or can I?) if you like Shrimp on the Barbie or post such here as well!

Yes, the video posted by PP shows a merman and mermaid who do shows together.

I suspect we will get more to the Mermaid Story for Pirates of the Caribbean on the next shows... I think that when she took him below the surface, I think she was saving him! We shall see!

_____
Hey people, I'm going to introduce a NEW COLOR into the mix based on a suggestion from Work. SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE. A good pattern, similar coloring to Twinkie, but possibly even brighter than the KONA GOLD...

You can revote (how can I update the poll, or can I?) if you like Shrimp on the Barbie or post such here as well!

I missed that, Ill have to go back and watch it. Ill need to work on my upper body a little more though before Id go topless. Ha:lmao:

I still like Kona Gold, the gold in it looks really nice, and Shrimp on the Barbie (at least from the swatch) reminds me more of a tie dyed pattern.

Just an update. I've been shopping a few new companies. For instance, I found a site with ready made sizes (interesting!) just like ordering for a dress on line.

I've approached them about my fabric conundrum and she tells me new fabrics are getting lined up. In the meantime, this is a new one that I saw and is QUITE nice... Its called CARIBBEAN SUNSET.

caribbean-sunset-monofin.jpg

They also design their own monofin to better 'hide the ankles' and I seriously may have to upgrade the whole thing cuz it's pretty nice and being ready made, fairly affordable.:scratchin

Lots of options for kids, parents!

Give me a shout out to see what you think? Remember bright is key! Orange colors are kinda the main interest (none of their colors right now are as bright, well there is a bright solid pink but this one is neater, I think.)

I voted for Purple because I thought it would really stand out for the lifeguard. but seriously, what lifeguard worth his salt wouldn't keep his eye on a real life mermaid with any color of tail?!?!?!?

:eeyore::fish:

My favourite of the ones on the first page wasn't on your poll....the gold. BUT I love the orange/gold one above. :goodvibes It looks so....regal....and fitting a mermaid princess. :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter