Help me choose: AoA suite and POR preferred

MomOTwins

The Mommy Fairy
We normally stay at deluxes, but I have to plan a trip last minute and none of the deluxes are discounted--only available at rack rate--which is just more than I can budget for this trip. Can I have your votes on an AoA suite versus POR preferred?

We stayed at PoR and weren't super impressed but that was largely because I think we really just do like Deluxes. The fact that we haven't stayed at AoA means it has novelty factor which is a good thing, but I worry going to a Value may be a mistake, especially since it is more expensive than a Moderate ($370 a night for the AoA suite versus $295 for PoR). Some of the aspects of AoA (larger room which is good for our family of 5, single bus stop, and interior hallways) seem more deluxe-like, although we might miss the aspects of PoR that are more deluxe-like (beautiful grounds and more subtly themed rooms, better on-site dining options, seems like it may be quieter than AoA).

We would be going in just a couple weeks so it may be too cold for swimming, but both resorts seem to have nice pools, so I think that is a tossup between them.

All thoughts are welcome (including, if you vote for AoA, which suite theme you like). Thanks!

***update*** POR is no longer available (wow, room availability moves fast when you are planning last-minute), but a garden view room at Boardwalk Inn IS available for $50 more per night than AoA. Your replies now have me really interested in AoA suites (would be nice to have the two bathrooms and extra space). But is it worth going for the deluxe? Both are within budget, so now I'm torn again!

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't stay in one room with 4 others. We stopped sharing a hotel room with our two kids years ago. For the extra bathroom and space, it's a no brainer to me to choose the suite.

We have stayed Deluxe, Moderate, and Value.
We did not have a problem with AoA being a Value.
Now, our last trip we did a split stay with BC and AoA, and I would probably chose BC if it was in the budget but it was so nice to have two bathrooms and a microwave and a little place to eat at (the table). The kids loved it. It did have interior halls. No lush landscaping, but the decorations were neat.

We stayed Nemo and Cars. Aesthetically, I prefer Cars. I also actually preferred our Cars location. Nemo was closer to the main pool, but our Cars suite was actually closer to the main building, laundry, and parking lot (in the Nemo suite, we had to walk around the pool so that made it longer. The bus stop may have been closer, but not much and we drove most places anyhow).

Personally, I wouldn't stay in one room with 4 others. We stopped sharing a hotel room with our two kids years ago. For the extra bathroom and space, it's a no brainer to me to choose the suite.

We are still in the stage we have to share a room: kids aged 7, 7, and 3. But I actually didn't realize the AoA suite had two bathrooms! That is awesome!

We have stayed Deluxe, Moderate, and Value.
We did not have a problem with AoA being a Value.
Now, our last trip we did a split stay with BC and AoA, and I would probably chose BC if it was in the budget but it was so nice to have two bathrooms and a microwave and a little place to eat at (the table). The kids loved it. It did have interior halls. No lush landscaping, but the decorations were neat.

We stayed Nemo and Cars. Aesthetically, I prefer Cars. I also actually preferred our Cars location. Nemo was closer to the main pool, but our Cars suite was actually closer to the main building, laundry, and parking lot (in the Nemo suite, we had to walk around the pool so that made it longer. The bus stop may have been closer, but not much and we drove most places anyhow).

We have stayed at BC and loved it before but annoyingly, it would be around $600 a night this time (it was close to half that when we stayed thanks to discounts). One of the downsides of booking last-minute I guess is fewer resorts eligible for promotions. I really appreciate your insight on room location; looking at the map I was just looking at the building locations and not thinking about the walking paths, so it is good to know Cars can be closer. If we end up there, I'll try to request the building closest to the main lobby.

With three kids I'd go AoA. I didn't love POP but took my girls to AoA last spring and we really liked it. It's a value, yes, but something about it feels nicer than the others, at least to me. My kids love the Lion King so the really want to stay in a LK suite next time we go back! The loved the pools in the Finding Nemo and Little Mermaid sections, we all thought the Cars pool was a bit small. We stayed in the Little Mermaid section and even that walk wasn't really bad at all!

I would stay AoA. We don't really like POR... or I should say that my kids don't really like it because it doesn't have a ton of kid appeal and there's not much else going for it (in the moderate category, mine prefer CBR because of the pool). The ages of your kids is perfect for AOA. And even though it's a value, the food court is definitely a step up from other values. The only thing that we don't like about AOA is that all of the beds aren't real beds, but that doesn't seem to bother kids in the same way that it bothers adults.

In a twist, POR is no longer available (wow, room availability moves fast when you are planning last-minute), but a garden view room at Boardwalk Inn IS available for $50 more per night than AoA. Your replies now have me really interested in AoA suites (would be nice to have the two bathrooms and extra space). But is it worth going for the deluxe? Both are within budget, so now I'm torn again!

In a twist, POR is no longer available (wow, room availability moves fast when you are planning last-minute), but a garden view room at Boardwalk Inn IS available for $50 more per night than AoA. Your replies now have me really interested in AoA suites (would be nice to have the two bathrooms and extra space). But is it worth going for the deluxe? Both are within budget, so now I'm torn again!

Don't be fooled. AoA may "look" nice on the website, but it's a value and the suites are just bigger value rooms. It is not value "deluxe". Run, do not walk, and book Boardwalk. If you like staying deluxe, I don't think you will like AoA. We typically stay deluxe, but tried AoA the first year it opened as the theming looked so spectacular. The The theming was great, but the resort is noisy and the rooms are incredibly uncomfortable.

I would run towards the Boardwalk and not look back! You get a resort that has a great location, and a cool pool with a long pool slide (no value resort pool has a slide). If you know you are a deluxe resort family, why fight it?

Of the three, the only one I've stayed at is POR, and I see that's already gone.

We stayed at POP once on a similar-sounding quick trip, and I really enjoyed the fun theming! (I actually meant to walk across the bridge and explore AOA, but just didn't end up having time.) So I personally wouldn't hesitate to try AOA, especially for a suite.

But where you said you really prefer deluxe, I'd go for that if it's in the price range you're looking for. I have yet to stay in the boardwalk area, but it's definitely on my list!

Adding now that for $50 more per night, I'd stay at Boardwalk if it's in your budget. I do think that your kids would enjoy AOA, but I agree with others who have pointed ut that this is still a value. We have stayed deluxe and while the suite will be big, a value is still a value. There will be tons of kids everywhere, the pool will be louder than what you're used to at a deluxe, the food court tends to feel more crowded, and the bus service feels different, as well. The bedding is lower quality, too, compared to a deluxe.

If the Boardwalk is in your budget I would pick that over AoA. You get a water slide at the pool, walking distance/boats to two parks, and the Boardwalk is a really fun area with lots to do.

Thanks all! So rare to see a unanimous vote here, and the Boardwalk discount rate seemed too good to pass up, so I booked it!!! Kids were jumping up and down with excitement when I told them and they can't wait to play some of the midway games on the boardwalk. Now I'm just playing the game of constant checking of dining rezzies for last-minute availability (I got our traditional favorite meal--Akershus--hooray, so everything else now is just icing on the cake!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter