Help DIS Homeschoolers Help me convince my DH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa loves Pooh said:
So to suggest that anyone in my state is "unqualified to teach" is silly. As long as they meet the above (for my state)---they are qualified (for my state). (and IF IF IF a review or test scores reveal deficits--there are some procedures....I haven't really looked into these as I don't plan for my child to have deficits just as someone in public school wouldn't plan for their child to have deficits either).

And the State of Florida maintains such high educational standards. Right.

Anne

AllyCatTapia said:
"who of us is an expert in all things"

Exactly, homeschoolers are not generally an expert in most things, except maybe Coming to The Lord etc etc :smokin:, which is why when you send your child to a NORMAL school, they go to a vareity of teachers who ARE experts in their field.

Sorry, but the vast majority of homeschoolers are not qualified to teach their children. Hell, I wouldn't even let my son go to a DAYCARE without prinicpal with a masters degree in Chiel Developement. EDUCATION MATTERS.

Statistics prove you wrong. HSers test higher consistently. It is really sad when people are not able to see the facts due to being so close-minded.

"Oh--and the only "qualifications" that need to be met are those defined by state law"

State law is the abre minimum. Why would you give your child only the bare minimum benefit?

MY children deserve to be taught by professionals in their field who are continually upgarding their credentials. If you don't think your children deserve that, by all means, homeschool them. MAYBE we'll see you in college. But maybe not, since MY child won't need to go to Community College.

AllyCatTapia said:
"Oh--and the only "qualifications" that need to be met are those defined by state law. Not the opinions of other parents. (And no I'm sorry an education degree is not required to teach your own children. Heck technically it isn't required to teach school children either. (my brother is a teacher--he will have to take mandated coursework, but doesn't not need an "education" degree. Of course he is a specialty teacher. But if an "education" degree were required--that would have to cover ALL teachers, shouldn't it?)"

This person is wrong. See NCLB. They're working on it.

my state has dealt with the NCLB teacher certification requirements by...making it easier for teachers to get certified! My husband's a high school math teacher, and he certainly doesn't have an education degree. He started teaching with no education coursework and no certification whatsoever, then got his teaching certificate through a "supervised practicum" which basically consisted of paying some money and filling out some paperwork. Don't get me wrong, I think he's an excellent teacher, but it's not because he's had lots of advanced pedagogy classes. But then, I'm a homeschooler, so I'm not one who thinks that's necessary for good teaching. I don't think I've ever met an educator who thinks NCLB is doing anything at all to improve schools, incidentally.

ducklite said:
And the State of Florida maintains such high educational standards. Right.

Anne

Right such high standards that I am more able to teach my child and challenge her appropriately.

Every state has their laws.

In connecticut--parents must teach specific subjects, maintain a portfolio and "attend" school 180 days per year (though not a requirement--just a generalized attendance policy). No notification is required (But they can do so voluntarily), no qualifications, and no testing required (and no mention of portfolio review).

In Vermont--specific subjects, no qualifications, no attendance requirements, notification required, no recordkeeping required, annual assement from certified teacher, report from commerical curriculum (some maintain records for you) submitted with portfolio or standardized test scores.

These are some of the smartest states. Aside from specific course work requirements, the requirements aren't all that different. :rolleyes:

Anne--when you make slams like that, it does not lend to the debate at all.

AllyCatTapia said:
EDUCATION MATTERS.

And that we do agree.

AllyCatTapia said:

Exactly, homeschoolers are not generally an expert in most things, except maybe Coming to The Lord etc etc :smokin:, which is why when you send your child to a NORMAL school, they go to a vareity of teachers who ARE experts in their field.

Sorry, but the vast majority of homeschoolers are not qualified to teach their children. Hell, I wouldn't even let my son go to a DAYCARE without prinicpal with a masters degree in Chiel Developement

Though I know atheists and pagans and wiccans who homeschool--so there goes your generalization.

Not sure what a person needs a masters degree in child development for a baby or preschooler--you are aware that years ago that toddlers did just fine playing. Einstein didn't go to pre-school.

AllyCatTapia said:
"Oh--and the only "qualifications" that need to be met are those defined by state law"

State law is the abre minimum. Why would you give your child only the bare minimum benefit?

MY children deserve to be taught by professionals in their field who are continually upgarding their credentials. If you don't think your children deserve that, by all means, homeschool them. MAYBE we'll see you in college. But maybe not, since MY child won't need to go to Community College.

I'm sorry you feel unqualified to rear a toddler.

I said nothing about providing only the minimum for my child.

Your last statement is ignorant.

Jon99 said:
I have taught in public schools for 17 years and have coached youth football for 16.. In my time, we have had 4 home schooled kids play youth football and their social skills were just awful, had a hard time even saying hi to the other kids. I just cringe when I even hear people mention home schooling as a solution.

I agree!!!! And when people say that school is not a place to be social that is just a way of trying to make homeschooling ok. Even if the kids are not allowed to sit and chat all day they are still learning how to be in society WITHOUT the comfort of a parent.

I could go on and on about how much kids are missing by being away from there peers. Being in activities is not social time either.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Right such high standards that I am more able to teach my child and challenge her appropriately.

Every state has their laws.

In connecticut--parents must teach specific subjects, maintain a portfolio and "attend" school 180 days per year (though not a requirement--just a generalized attendance policy). No notification is required (But they can do so voluntarily), no qualifications, and no testing required (and no mention of portfolio review).

In Vermont--specific subjects, no qualifications, no attendance requirements, notification required, no recordkeeping required, annual assement from certified teacher, report from commerical curriculum (some maintain records for you) submitted with portfolio or standardized test scores.

These are some of the smartest states. Aside from specific course work requirements, the requirements aren't all that different. :rolleyes:

Anne--when you make slams like that, it does not lend to the debate at all.

First of all, I never said I was against homeschooling. I said that while some parents are properly equipped and successful with it, others are not bright enough to find their way out of a paper bag, yet they are "homeskoolin the chillins."

My brother had a girl in his social circle years ago. She was homeschooled by a religious nutcase of a mother who hadn't finished 10th grade, and not because it wasn't challenging enough for her either. :rolleyes: What ultimately happened is this girl got pregnant at 14, never finished school at home or otherwise, and now lives in a trailer with her four kids (might be five by now, my brother lost track) in a very poor area of New York State. She has no prospects in life, and get this--she's "homeskoolen her kids." All that does is lead to a cycle of poverty. That was a child whose parents had absolutely no business "homeskoolin."

On the other hand, I know of a young lady who was home schooled who graduated Magna Cum Laude from Princeton on a partial scholarship and was just accepted into Yale Medical School--perhaps the most competitive in the country. Her parents chose to homeschool her because the schools in their area were lacking to be kind, and offered no gifted program. Her parents aren't educators, and her mother has an Associates in business administration. But they had the intellegence, patience, and common sense to make sure their daughter was challenged and achieved. (The daughter participated in various activities such as dance, karate, etc. as well.)

Homeschooling can be successful, but it can also be disasterous. Unfortunately many of the parents who will not be able to give their child the best possible education by home schooling are too ignorant to realize it. That's my entire point.

Anne

Lisa loves Pooh said:
I'm sorry you feel unqualified to rear a toddler.

Quoted from the bus thread...
"Originally Posted by AllyCatTapia
Ummm, yeah, the 50s are calling, they want their idealogy back.

If my son made such a comment about ladies vs women, I'd seriously think about backhanding him. And then making him read The Feminie Mystique."

Anyone speaking of backhanding a child in this manner really should relegate her children to someone else. :sad2:

edited for clarity--this quote does not reflect Lisa's opinio, but mine. :wave2:

AllyCatTapia said:
But maybe not, since MY child won't need to go to Community College.

Wow. What a rude thing to say.

My BIL went to community college for his first two years, and then transferred to RPI. He's now a full bird in the AFR, and works for a major corporation as an exucutive earning six figures. And I'll give you a hint--the first one isn't a "1."

My husband went to community college for the first two years and then transfered to Syracuse University. He's a Sr. Technical Analyst and while he's not making quite what BIL is, he's not all that far behind.

Both of them did so to take most of their core courses in an inexpensive way so they could graduate from their respective well respected Universities with minimal student loan debt. That doesn't sound like someone who is stupid to me. Actually quite the reverse.

Not all homeschooled kids "have to go to community college." Are you telling me that my sister with a PhD in a relevent field who is an experienced instructor isn't qualified to homeschool her children? In all honesty she's probably more qualified to teach than the average tenured public school teacher.

Anne

I have been sucked into this debate, and I just wonder, can't we agree to disagree? Some people live where there are wonderful PS, some don't. I am lucky to have a lot of private schools to choose from which solve my PS dilemma. We are all trying to do the best that we know how to do for our children at any given time. Unfortunately, none of us can predict the future, but we all are dedicated to making the future as bright as we can for our children. No matter where a child goes to school, we are all making choices based upon what we feel is best at the time.

AllyCatTapia said:
"MY child won't need to go to Community College.
That is quite a statement. Unless your child has graduated from high school, none of us knows what will happen for our young children. And there is nothing wrong with community college if it is the right fit for an individual.

noodleknitter said:
Originally Posted by AllyCatTapia
Ummm, yeah, the 50s are calling, they want their idealogy back.

If my son made such a comment about ladies vs women, I'd seriously think about backhanding him. And then making him read The Feminie Mystique.

Anyone speaking of backhanding a child in this manner really should relegate her children to someone else. :sad2:

You quoted me and then posted this. I have no idea where this came from and don't support any of what this said.

where did this come from?

Her last statement I refered to as ignorant was how she wouldn't see my children after high school because her children won't be going to community college. It was ignorant b/c it speaks to the inferiority of CC's (they aren't--in Florida..they teach the same classes as university in a smaller setting and the credit transfers and it was ignorant b/c she has now said that public school students--especially hers are superior)

Every time. Every stinkin' time.

I read these home schooling threads with interest in the hopes I can pick up some strategies to help supplement what DS is learning in Public School. I could NEVER homeschool. Never in a million years. I don't have the patience, nor the aptitude. I do however hold a degree, and am about 1/4 done with courses towards my Masters. I speak 3 languages well enough to understand and be understood. Yet, for us and for our family, the best place for DS is our Public School.

And yet waaaayyy back on the first page of this thread, there was a slam against PS kids as being the 'ignorant peer group'. Delightful. And then this thread followed the way ANY of them do.

I really think this is a topic that NO ONE is ever going to change anyone else's opinion on.

I'll agree that there are some (mabe many) PS that are hotbeds for illicit activity, but to paint them all with that broad brush is absurd. In just the same way that to say all Homeschooled kids are backward, awkward, and ill-prepared for society.

Sorry for the ramble, carry on the debate

Lisa loves Pooh said:
You quoted me and then posted this. I have no idea where this came from and don't support any of what this said.

Her last statement I refered to as ignorant was how she wouldn't see my children after high school because her children won't be going to community college. It was ignorant b/c it speaks to the inferiority of CC's (they aren't--in Florida..they teach the same classes as university in a smaller setting and the credit transfers and it was ignorant b/c she has now said that public school students--especially hers are superior)

Clarified in the original post.

Lisa loves Pooh said:

Sorry. But community colleges are WAY BEHIND schools like UF. There's no comparison, unless you really luck out with a CC teacher. Not that you can't go to a CC have have a great career. But the classes aren't the same.

AllyCatTapia said:

Sorry, but the vast majority of homeschoolers are not qualified to teach their children. Hell, I wouldn't even let my son go to a DAYCARE without prinicpal with a masters degree in Chiel Developement. EDUCATION MATTERS.
...disclaimer... to all of you you nice folks out there, this is not a general flaming...it's directed at those who continue to insult others only,I mean insult,not express viewpoints....
:sad2: Well,alleyacatapia-Then you need to educate yourself, instead of just tossing insults out regarding things about which you obviously don't have much knowledge.
You know NOTHING about homeschooling in general,as evidenced by your rude remarks . You must have no confidence in yourself,and your role as mentor and primary educator of your own child, so you feel it's necessary to get nasty.If you feel it's ok to send your kid to whatever school at whatever age, I really don't care.
But,if you, in your ignorance(yes I mean it) assume that b/c a person has taken the college courses necessary to become a teacher, this makes them an EXPERT in their subjects, good luck to you! By the time your child gets done with school, you'll naturally be assuming,logically,that,having been so carefully taught all things by EXPERTS,your child will also be an expert in all these subjcts. Good luck with that, you're the one who's going to get a wake up call to the 'real world' when that doesn't actually happen.
But DON'T even assume you can be insulting to us as a group,my reasons for homeschooling have nothing to do with the Lord, I realize you said that just to be offensive,and you are.
I'm involved in my own states laws and regulations on schooling and homeschooling, as our particular group has legal counsel,and makes sure everyone in our state stays abreast of what's necessary.
Here's a couple of facts for YOU- All school systems in our nation use DIFFERENT curriculum,standards,and teachers with varying levels of education and expertise. So if subject A is SO important, MUST be taught here in (pick a state)...then WHY is it considered UNIMPORTANT by another state?
Because each school pretty much chooses their texts and other resources based on funding,#1.
This alone should provide a smidgen of insight for you, there's no one place to turns to for that vast storehouse of "expert knowledge" you seem to think exists, It doesn't!
Just like with private schools,and (gasp) homeschools, we are free to use a variety of eduactional resources.
So when you say you have concerns about our kids quality of eduction, guess, what? I have concerns about yours!

debster812 said:
Every time. Every stinkin' time.

I read these home schooling threads with interest in the hopes I can pick up some strategies to help supplement what DS is learning in Public School. I could NEVER homeschool. Never in a million years. I don't have the patience, nor the aptitude. I do however hold a degree, and am about 1/4 done with courses towards my Masters. I speak 3 languages well enough to understand and be understood. Yet, for us and for our family, the best place for DS is our Public School.

And yet waaaayyy back on the first page of this thread, there was a slam against PS kids as being the 'ignorant peer group'. Delightful. And then this thread followed the way ANY of them do.

I really think this is a topic that NO ONE is ever going to change anyone else's opinion on.

I'll agree that there are some (mabe many) PS that are hotbeds for illicit activity, but to paint them all with that broad brush is absurd. In just the same way that to say all Homeschooled kids are backward, awkward, and ill-prepared for society.

Sorry for the ramble, carry on the debate
;) Well said! We all need to be balanced,and understand that there are great kids coming from all walks of life,and educational backgrounds,and turning into full functioning well adjusted adults! I know many great homeschooled kids,and many great kids who go to school also!
And you sound like a smart person, homeschooling is not for everyone,just as ps isn't for everyone- good luck to you on supplementing your kiddos schooling, no matter what we choose, we're all pretty much looking out for our kids best interests! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter