Heartbreaking news...a big reminder to be aware of wildlife on property

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but you don't advertise your stove as a beach..apples and oranges.
But the stove is still hot, just like the McD case of the hot coffee :( now their cups have to say caution, contents hot...seriously? ?? Did they think the hot coffee wasn't going to be hot? The name of the resort is The Gra
True, but you don't advertise your stove as a beach..apples and oranges.
Grand Floridan Resort & Spa, actually beach isn't in the name at all...if we were getting technical. I do see what you are saying though. I just think sometimes people need to use their better judgment on things, regardless of how something is portrayed. As society, we should not rely solely on what a sign says. No lights, no lifeguard, signs saying steep drop...it's dark. Gator or not, you don't go in. Do you really need a sign? There was a warning, while not specifically geared at gators it was still a danger that in the dark, a family doesn't know where that drop is...period

It is also the duty of a traveler to be aware of potential dangers in locations to where they are traveling. Florida is mostly swampland, and there are 1.6 million alligators in Florida. I don't really understand how people don't know that Florida is essentially filled with alligators. (I am not from Florida, but am well aware of the wildlife that lurks there.)

Good for you. Glad u know. Others don't. Whether u r shocked or not does t matter. It's truth.

But the stove is still hot, just like the McD case of the hot coffee :( now their cups have to say caution, contents hot...seriously? ?? Did they think the hot coffee wasn't going to be hot?

You seem extremely misinformed about that case. The woman suffered third-degree burns in her pelvic region when she accidentally spilled hot coffee in her lap after purchasing it from a McDonald's restaurant. She had permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for two years.

From FL official site. ....
Living with Alligators

I would bet that 1% of tourists read this and for good reason. I don't go to Florida because of the state, I go because of Disney. I could care less about the history and wildlife of Florida. We need to separate that because it's not like going to London and not knowing what side of the road to drive on. Disney creates the environment of airport to resort and there is a certain safety that NEEDS to be associated with that. I don't expect Bay Lake to be Lake Placid. Plenty of hotel/resorts do an amazing job of keeping dangers away, I would expect the top one to do the same. And if they can't control it, tourism will plummet and the alligators can roam the lands freely again since that seems like the only thing you have been harping on.

But that's just it. Animals don't always know where they can or can't go. That bear may just end up in the suburb one day, all confused and scared because it's unfamiliar to it. We get moose into the city, even though it's not something we usually see and then people just needs to be careful until it hopefully find its way back out.

Funny you say this, earlier this week a bear was found in a town less than an hour north of Milwaukee. I guess he didn't see the signs that he wasn't supposed to be there.

But the stove is still hot, just like the McD case of the hot coffee :( now their cups have to say caution, contents hot...seriously? ?? Did they think the hot coffee wasn't going to be hot?

That case involved 3rd degree burns and an 8-day hospital stay.

Well far be it for any guests to assume at a 500 a night resort for families that at movie night on the beach Disney may have increased wildlife patrol on the shoreline of their beaches. I love love love Disney but they sure didn't make the right decision. The legal standard is what do reasonably businesses in the area do
So only the guests at the deluxe level resorts deserve wildlife patrol on the shore? The rest of the schlubs at CBR, or POFQ, or AoA, or anywhere else that has water (i.e. everywhere on property) should know better? Or...?

Are you saying that's me, I use common sense and others don't? One cannot blame the signage alone. That water is filthy. Stoves are hot, there aren't signs engraved on them to not touch. You just don't do it. Just because something is there, doesn't mean it's ok. Judgment needs to be used, don't rely on others to tell you everything

I don't think it's common sense to believe that every tourist visiting Florida will be aware of the extent of the gator issue. I think it's pompous and high and mighty actually. I'm pretty sure the majority are aware that Florida HAS alligators. That's not the argument. We are saying we aren't/weren't aware how many and how common it is for them to be in public, populated places. If u can't understand that, I don't know what else to say.

Funny you say this, earlier this week a bear was found in a town less than an hour north of Milwaukee. I guess he didn't see the signs that he wasn't supposed to be there.
tumblr_inline_mgtttkMdQa1qfe5t2.png

Also, if you go an hour north of Milwaukee, you are in farmland.

Are you saying that's me, I use common sense and others don't? One cannot blame the signage alone. That water is filthy. Stoves are hot, there aren't signs engraved on them to not touch. You just don't do it. Just because something is there, doesn't mean it's ok. Judgment needs to be used, don't rely on others to tell you everything

And if u read what ppl are saying, they aren't blaming the sign alone. They are simply stating that a sign alerting guests about alligators would HELP.

So only the guests at the deluxe level resorts deserve wildlife patrol on the shore? The rest of the schlubs at CBR, or POFQ, or AoA, or anywhere else that has water (i.e. everywhere on property) should know better? Or...?
So the sign issue seems to be settled as far as Disney is concerned. So now you'll aim for a class fight? Geez. I'm sure NO ONE here thinks what you're suggesting. Come on, now.

Especially keep an eye out at Riverside.

That place is like a jungle between the Bayou buildings and I can only imagine what may inhabit some of those small ponds.

This is from the WDW website re Poly:
"Escape to an enchanting oasis of swaying palms, white sandy beaches and tropical surroundings that evokes the languid spirit of the South Pacific. Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows makes its home at one of the original—and legendary—Walt Disney World Resort hotels."

"Tiki torches will light your way across sandy beaches around a tranquil lagoon dotted with palms. Exotic island refreshments and music will inspire you to abandon the cares of the outside world you've left behind.

Whether it's a relaxing family vacation in Disney's first over-the-water Bungalows, or a fun-filled getaway in our beautifully designed Deluxe Studios, you will find your place in paradise—and a favorite vacation getaway that your family will treasure for years to come."

"Lush, tranquil beauty abounds on the sandy beaches along the shores of Seven Seas Lagoon. You can enjoy the view from one of the lounge chairs and hammocks placed throughout the beach area. When the sun goes down, the beaches are also a favorite location for viewing the Electrical Water Pageant and the Magic Kingdom Park fireworks. Swimming is not permitted in Seven Seas Lagoon."

And the Grand Floridian:
" Bask on the white-sand beach, indulge in a luxurious massage and watch the fireworks light up the sky over Cinderella Castle."
"Watch favorite Disney films at complimentary movie screenings on the beach near Beach Pool"
Yes, I see the white sandy beaches...and nothing about pristine blue waters to cool down in. I do see swimming not allowed. Which is their way to promote the "sand" and stay out of the water but unfortunately not all are reading it that way....Beach POOL thats where the water is for going into. When a storm hits and there is beach erosion, are they talking water or sand? They mean sand....sandy beaches is sand, not water

I feel so sad for the family of the boy. I can't imagine the pain the family feels. Today at work we discussed what "no swimming" means. About 3/4 of the group felt it meant stay out of the water completely -no wading, nothing. The other 1/4 felt it meant - wading was ok but not getting in fully submerged. Interesting.

You get a lot of paperwork when you check in at a resort -- all about events, dining places, etc. Seems like it would be so easy to include a little something about WDW being set in a beautiful natural environment; please be aware of such and such and respectful of such and such -- be it snakes, alligators or anything else in the area. If people have really been feeding alligators, like folks are saying here...my gosh.
EXACTLY. it wouldn't take much, it would protect Disney, and potentially guests.

You guys are STILL talking about this?
Funny. That happens on a discussion board. ;)

But I agree... I was concerned about the signage issue to help prevent even one other such tragedy -- and Disney is (not surprisingly to me) addressing that. I'll move along. :goodvibes

I would bet that 1% of tourists read this and for good reason. I don't go to Florida because of the state, I go because of Disney. I could care less about the history and wildlife of Florida. We need to separate that because it's not like going to London and not knowing what side of the road to drive on. Disney creates the environment of airport to resort and there is a certain safety that NEEDS to be associated with that. I don't expect Bay Lake to be Lake Placid. Plenty of hotel/resorts do an amazing job of keeping dangers away, I would expect the top one to do the same. And if they can't control it, tourism will plummet and the alligators can roam the lands freely again since that seems like the only thing you have been harping on.

You're making it sound as if alligator attacks are happening all the time at Disney.

Clearly Disney has been doing something right if in all the years WDW has been open this has happened twice. Disney does do an amazing job of keeping dangers away, maybe too good of a job since so many people seem absolutely baffled to learn that anything like this could even happen on their property. It's impossible for Disney to eliminate all dangers on their property, there needs to be some element of responsibility we as individuals need to take for our own safety. That's not to say the parents are to blame here (I don't think they are), but seriously some people on these boards have no sympathy for people who are unaware you have to make ADRs to eat at certain restaurants but people aren't supposed to learn basics about the state they're travelling to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter