Hawaii Newbie--Help with Itinerary

MamaBear58

DIS Veteran
We are thinking around 2 weeks in Hawaii in the summer of 2019--I was leaning towards late June because I heard June was the driest month, but I'm open to suggestions, including late August.

It will be myself, DH, DS12, and DD9. None of us has ever been to Hawaii. We will fly from the East Coast, either out of NYC or Philadelphia.

I know we need to go to another island to see volcanoes, which is a must. As is a touch of Disney, but I say a touch because I honestly can't see staying an entire week at Aulani (are the food options really that limited in the area surrounding the resort?). Hopefully taxis or Uber are available if we didn't want to rent a car to get away for decent food? I would want to see Pearl Harbor as well.

So what type of itinerary do folks recommend, assuming this could be a "one and done (at least for awhile) trip"? I am Hilton Diamond member, if anyone has a specific resort/hotel to recommend. I don't need a kitchen; I don't cook on vacation. We'd also consider a cruise around the islands if someone has one to recommend.

Thanks!

It really depends on how you want this vacation to flow and what is the most important to you. The Ko Olina area has several restaurants within walking distance of Aulani (Mexican, pizza, etc.) along with the restaurants at the resort.

As for the itinerary, there are tours you can book through Aulani or to be honest, it's much cheaper to rent a car and do it on your own. If you split your stay with Aulani and Waikiki you would only need transfers to the resorts and use tour operators for the rest.

If you wanted more independence , you could rent a house/condo through Homeaway for your non-Aulani portion and use that time to explore the island. Suggestions: Lagoons in Ko Olina, Peal Harbor, Dole Plantation, Diamond Head, hike to Kaeana Point (we say a monk seal here), Captain Bob's boat tour (Kanahoe Bay sandbar/turtle watching/snorkeling/lunch), Kaulia Beach (rent a kayak, it's awesome), shopping in Kaulia town, Lighthouse hike, Hanauma Bay snorkeling, eat at Duke's in Waikiki, Waikiki Beach, North Shore drive, Polynesian Cultural Center, Kualoa Park (movie tour, zip lining, etc), drive the H3 through the tunnel to the windward side (amazing and just out of Jurassic Park), Koko Head, eat at Nico's Pier 38 at the harbor in Honolulu (the best fish you will ever have), etc. There are endless activities on Oahu.

If you go to the Big Island to see the volcano, stay of the Hilo side so you are closer. Kona is the warm and dry side and Hilo is the wet and tropical side. Both have great beaches including black sand.

I have visited Aulani and it is a beautiful resort with many amenities but I agree that a week is too much. The beauty of the island is amazing and if this is truly a "one and done", take in everything that it has to offer. Don't be afraid to rent a car and explore regardless of where you stay.

We did 14 days total--2 in Waikiki, 7 on the NCL cruise, then 5 at Aulani. So that really gave us a week on Oahu, which was really a good amount. We could've stayed longer and still done things we didn't get to.

We knew the cruise was just a touch of the other islands. Lava was a must for me too, but I didn't want to limit to 2 islands. I say either do them all on the cruise or pick 2 and do 5-7 days each. Picking 2 was like picking your favorite kid, though LOL. The cruise was quite expensive IMO though, so that might be a factor.

I would definitely rent a car wherever you spend more than a day or two; it's just much cheaper than excursions and just as easy (or easier) driving than wherever you live.

Mamma B
X to the N "th" degree on what CW and CG posted.
My wife and I visited Hawaii for the first time 45 years ago. Been there many times since then. Do not dwell on Aulani, too much to see and do besides the resort.
Just rent a car and go. You won't get lost. If you're from NY or NJ you can handle any island.
Try Hy's in Honolulu for dinner, the best. Roy's is a close second.
On the Big Island I prefer the Kona side. Try Hugo's for some great food. While on the west side, try and catch the green flash at sunset.
If time permits, visit the Hawaiian Vanilla Co. We met the owner a number of years ago, he gives a good tour and lunch.
A labor intensive crop since there are no native bees to pollinate the vanilla plant flowers. You need to manually do the job.
Since you're considering two weeks, a third island is doable. Maui is our favorite. Lahaina, Hana, Mama's Fish House is an absolute must.
Just sayin'. There is always another two weeks and another. You will see what I mean. Enjoy

With 2 weeks, this is what I would do:

- Fly into Kona (KOA) on the Big Island.

- Stay 4-5 nights in Kailua-Kona or Waikoloa. The Hilton Waikoloa is a huge complex with lots to do. The problem might be getting your kids to leave. I know mine didn't want to! We stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club Kings' Land (which has it's own great pools) and spent a day at the hotel side. I don't cook either, but I like having the extra space (2 bedroom unit, so kids had their own bedroom), washer/dryer, and the kitchen is handy for heating up leftovers or eating in.

- Stay 2-3 nights near the volcano. I like the vacation rentals in Volcano Village. It feels very secluded staying in the middle of a rain forest like you're a world away, but really you're less than 10 minutes drive to the entrance of Volcanoes National Park.

- Fly out of Hilo (ITO) to Honolulu (HNL).

- Stay 3-4 nights in Waikiki if you're okay with cities. I say that because Waikiki seems to be a love it or hate it kind of place. Personally, I love the energy and the awesome Japanese food. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is another huge complex with lots to do. It is on the edge of Waikiki though, so it would be a further walk to the heart of Waikiki. If you don't like cities, Kailua might be a good choice.

- Stay 3-4 nights at Aulani.

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful. I'm so overwhelmed with it all. I usually don't use travel agents but am considering it for this. Would welcome any recommendations.

We did two weeks in mid-late September in 2016 for our honeymoon. Out of our 16 days there, we saw rain once for about 20 minutes at 7am while we were driving on the windward side of Oahu. The weather could not have been more perfect. That coupled with most schools being in session, it was a great time to go. If September is not an option for you, then I'd lean towards late August.

My trip report is in my signature which outlines everything we did, including island hopping. I would do it the same way again, visiting more than one island and planning every other day as a "resort/relax" day and a "sightseeing" day. It worked well for us.

We had a car in Kauai and Oahu. In Oahu, the driving isn't too bad (save for the traffic) but points of interest are all over the island and Aulani is not centrally located. With its isolated location, a car is a must IMO. We did stay in Waikiki for a portion of our trip and did not have a car then, and we did Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor with organized tour companies that picked us up at our hotel. During our time at Aulani, we did have a car which allowed us to explore the North Shore, windward side of Oahu, stop for groceries, etc. When we were there, Uber was available but availability was few and far between, again due to its isolated location in Ko Olina. Not sure if availability has improved.

ETA: Before we booked our trip, I priced out the NCL Pride of America cruise versus island hopping. We found it to be a touch more expensive for us to do the cruise, and it also gave us less time on the islands. The benefit is that you see all the major islands, and we missed out on the Big Island by island hopping instead. We wanted more flexibility and time on the islands to see more and eat at the local restaurants, etc.

Last edited:

We did the inaugural NCL cruise 3 weeks after 9-11 For 10 days with 4 days in Waikiki so we've seen something on all the major islands plus we went back for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year in 2007, staying on Lewers St in Waikiki. Make sure if you go to Pearl Harbour to also do the USS Missouri, it is a very sombre experience. You can't miss the North Shore either.

I'm planning another trip to Hawaii 1st week in June 2019 . My family will fly from Providence RI to Las Vegas with a brief overnight stay and then fly hopefully Southwest or our standard Hawaiian Air to Honululu. I have planned 6 nights at Aulani and then fly to Big Island for a week at a home in Mauna Lani area of big Island followed by 2 nights at volcano village in Hilo. Then fly from there to HNL and then back to Vegas to split up trip.

I have been many times and have done the NCL cruise which to me is the best as you leave from HNL rather than spend 5 days at sea just to get there . I have stayed on North Shore Turtle Bay Resort for couple days which was just enough to see that area. Aulani is usually 6 nights as I was surprised how much I loved it. I went when they were building it and said I would never stay in such a remote area but alas it has built up beautifully and its a pretty easy drive anywhere if you go at the right times. Always rent a car for the freedom to stop and go. Looking forward to showing my 5 year old grandson the pool area as he is a water nut.

A couple years ago we added a condo at Hanalei Bay,Kauaii for 4 couples right overlooking the ocean with spectacular views for 600 per night. Great deal. Loved Loved loved that area. We did ATV,Zodiac Boats, Mountain tubing, horseback riding, ziplining and hiking. It was my dream vacation. Husband wants to visit every island so Big island stay is next. We also spent a week on Maui in Wailea area which was also a great experience. I prefer Kauaii over Maui as its more lush and less hectic. Each time we stay part of the trip at Aulani upfront.

I had Marriot points and used them to stay in Waikiki for a couple nights once and it was fun but not a city gal.

Best advice..check VRBO for condo or house...been in three different ones all great and a fraction of the hotel costs.They often come with water toys and chairs etc and an owner eager to give you pointers on little things that can enhance your stay.

Check car rentals months in advance and keep checking as I often save mucho dollars along the way. Hawaii discount car rentals works well for us.
Kualoa ranch is a wonderful spot for ATV adventure. They offer many different tours and parking is plentiful.

I just booked 2 weeks today for May! Just me and my 18 yo daughter. So excited to see everything with her.

Not to worry about rain on Oahu, for the most part. I lived in Kailua (windward side), where we did have rain a lot in the winter. Ko Olina is not typically rainy, but can be in the summer even (I did a month last summer there at the Marriott where we own). A lot of us Marriott owners spend a month, splitting up the 2br up into a studio and a one bedroom (we own two weeks every other year).

I would NOT go without a rental car ever. I got one last summer for about $900 for the month. Yeah, some days I didn't go out, but I wanted to have it. We often run out to the store, or I go get my nails done, or we go to the flea market, or to Kailua, or something. We've been there, done that, but no way would I not have a car.

If you want Volcanoes, I recommend a week on the Big Island. We did that flying into Kona and out of Hilo (when our oldest was 4 months old). Fun to hike the lava tubes, enjoyed Kona, had him in the backpack for hikes. We enjoyed a week there, but stayed a KMC which is military. I'd do a week on the Big Island for sure!

We're also on the East Coast - fly out of DC (BWI, IAD or DCA depending; we always have used miles even though I've taken the kids 10 times back we've never paid for a flight luckily). It's a long flight, so if you can get lie flat seats coming home it's the best! No, we didn't always, but a few times, but at my age now I refuse to do it any other way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter