Having second thoughts... POR or Swan?

kilarney

Esteemed Member
The title says it all. Can anyone give some advice?
My wife will be a 6 months pregnant during our next trip. We are going to take it easier this trip, and have never stayed on-site.
We know that the Swan is much closer to EPCOT and MGM (two of our favorite parks), which is a big plus. Our concern, however, is that we won't get the Disney "magic" at the Swan. We have toured POR before, and really loved how it was quiet and very Disney. We also are looking for a place with a nice pool, since we won't be spending all day in the parks. As far as I can tell, they both have good pool areas.
I got a good rate at the Swan, so it is actually a little cheaper.

So what do you folks think? Does the location of the Swan make up for the lack of magic? Or am I wrong, and there is magic to be found at the Swan? We usually don't splurge on stayong on-site so we can take more trips... so I want to make this one count.
Thanks!

Hello,

This is a tough choice. I've stayed at DxL ( now PO-R ) several times, and the Swan once. As you mentioned, there is a bit more Disney in the air at PO-R. However, the location of the Swan can't be beat. You are surrounded by great Disney hotels, the Boardwalk, and two parks, all within walking distance. You have mini golf across the street. Yes, the grounds at PO are nicer for a leisurely stroll at night, but their is plenty to explore around the Swan. You do have a Disney gift shop inside the Swan, and the grotto pool is very nice. There is also a quiet pool at the Swan. One thing, the grotto pool is actually closer to the Dolphin, and can be a decent hike from the BW side of the Swan. One thing to remember, if it matters to you, is that you can not use your room key at the Swan as a charge card in the parks. You are eligible for E Ride nights and early entry at the Swan. All in all, if you get a good rate at the Swan, I would recommend it highly.

Hope that helps,

Take care,

Bill

I faced this same dilema 2 years ago. As a teacher, I could have stayed at the Swan for very little more. Yes, it is closer to MGM and Epcot. However, POR has it beat BY FAR on Disney magic, I think. Others may disagree with my choice since I never actually saw the rooms. However, I went over to the Swan one night to see how it compared, and if anything, I was even happier than before about the choice I made. After all, Mickey doesn't wake you up at the Swan, and to me that was a deal-breaker!

I love when there are so many opions! This is what makes this board so fun!
We stayed at POR,POFQ,CBR,WL,& the Dolphin,and coming to the Swan soon. We thought we would NEVER go anywhere but POFQ, Until we stayed 12 days last year at the Dolphin, and were now HOOKED! So much to do and so much to see. The castmembers were top notch,it was so Sparkley clean, close to MGM and Epct all in walking distance. Not to mention the Boardwalk and all the night life and places to eat. The Grotto pool and all their spa's and recreation,health spa and workout centers were Great. I could go on and on. We can't wait to hit those Heavenly Beds, we may never get out of bed. However we too loved POFQ and the boat ride to the DTD and Marketplace,this was fun. So which ever way you go, you won't go wrong. Heck I would be happy on a Park Bench as long as I was in the World...
Chatty

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter