• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Having anxiety about taking my toddler on the plane!

We're flying Delta airlines and I see mention of onboard tv but I'm not sure if its general info for delta, not saying that all delta flights have them. Thoughts?

Look to see what type of plane you are on. It is probably listed on your reservation. Usually it has to be a good sized plane to have on board tv.

We're flying Delta airlines and I see mention of onboard tv but I'm not sure if its general info for delta, not saying that all delta flights have them. Thoughts?

With the onboard TV on my flight last month, you HAD to have headphones - there weren't any speakers at all.

Another good thing to try beforehand is just sitting quietly in a car seat for a good bit of time. It's good practice and could be a fun game in the car.

It's really remarkable how many people think "no electronics without headphones" doesn't mean them.

We took our son on his first flight last year at 17 months. We brought lots of snacks and new toys and books but the biggest hit was a roll of blue painter's tape. Yep, I would just tear off small pieces and let him stick them on the window or his tray table. He entertained himself for a while like that and cleanup is so easy!

We brought headphones for him thinking he would be really into watching cartoons but he really wasn't. Guess he was just too excited! This year I think he will be more into watching them and we have already started practicing with the headphones at home.

Really wish I would have bought something more lucrative than water for him to have on the plane...something like apple juice (something he doesn't get all the time). It would have been handier for take off and landing because he really didn't understand why he needed to drink right then.

hi there. we took DD at 21 months and again at 23 months. Both flights were 2.5 hours, one longer because of a delay we had to stay in the air so it was almost 3 hours. I too was worried. We brought the portable dvd player for her which DOES work like magic. It worked great at dinner time too, she'd watch her show and we could eat.

I also got her a few brand new toys that had tons of buttons on it. She loves buttons. Those held her attention while waiting during take off and landing.

Snacks we did not bother with. I fed her what she was used to.

She did nurse and sleep on the way home and woke up right before landing! That was perfect. When she woke up we played her video and then we landed.

She did great the whole time and never cried or got anxious. She sat on my lap the whole time. I did have to sit her sideways so she didnt kick the seat infront of me.

I gave her a bottle, which she doesnt normally have because she nurses, and she loved to have it and chew on it while watching her video.

She was super friendly, which surprised me, and loved to say hi to everyone.

In the airport there was nursing to do, feeding to do, bathrooms to do, we needed to get a bite to eat, going through security, etc.. so we never had ANY extra time sitting at the gate. Even when we were 5 hours early at the MIA before our flight after our cruise, we still just made it at the gate. We stopped to let DD nap after check in, then potty, then walking forever to the gate, feeding, walking, security, walking, etc.

Diapers were easy we used huggies slip on and put the new on up to her knees, then took the old one off and we slid the new one up. Kept plastic diaper bags to put it in. On the way back we didn't need to change her, but she did have a leak since we were letting it go longer. I was glad to have a towel with me to put underneath her.

I was also glad i hung on to my beverage cup. DD wanted to sit up off of my chest during landing and then got dizzy/sick and kept trying to re-adjust herself, not wanting to rest against me to help with the pressure. She puked all over my DH"s lap and i caught the rest in the cup. On the way back i asked for an extra cup, but DD was fine. She was up against me and stayed there. I nursed her on take off and landing best i could. The one landing she was alseep and woke up tugging on her ears and i could tell they were hurting her but i got her to nurse and she was better.

good luck! have a great trip!

oh and the new chromebooks are only about $200 on amazon, which is about the cost of a portable dvd player on amazon too.. so go for the chromebook and then you have tons of things to do. it comes with 12 free go go inflight passes for the internet.. on the acer chromebook. we are going to bring ours rather than the dvd player this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter