HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to look up some information on the health club at the GF but can't seem to find anything. Has anyone tried it that can give me some info on it? or where I could get some info? Would like to know more of the spa and health club. Thanks

We are considering going in April and we might take my in-laws. So I am trying to decide if we would rather do 2 Sugar Loaf rooms that would include club level. Or, if we opt for a 2 bedroom GF villa standard view. They are basically the same cost.

So at Sugar Loaf, we'd get the food offerings and 2 separate rooms. My family is 3 children (4,8,12), my DH and me.

Or, do we opt for more space in the 2 BR villa, though in a shared environment without the food offerings?

My DH thinks Sugar Loaf is the better option. We've stayed in RPC and in Sugar Loaf. We stayed last year in Sugar Loaf with my parents and it was fine. Help me decide. What would you do?

I opt for Sugar Loaf as well because of the food options with children. If it's raining or late and DS and DD want a drink or snack, they don't have to run to the Main Building to refill or eat, they can go downstairs and not get wet or go out late.

We are considering going in April and we might take my in-laws. So I am trying to decide if we would rather do 2 Sugar Loaf rooms that would include club level. Or, if we opt for a 2 bedroom GF villa standard view. They are basically the same cost.

So at Sugar Loaf, we'd get the food offerings and 2 separate rooms. My family is 3 children (4,8,12), my DH and me.

Or, do we opt for more space in the 2 BR villa, though in a shared environment without the food offerings?

My DH thinks Sugar Loaf is the better option. We've stayed in RPC and in Sugar Loaf. We stayed last year in Sugar Loaf with my parents and it was fine. Help me decide. What would you do?

Both options are good. It depends on how well you "like" your in-laws! :lmao:

If you want total privacy, and no meal prep at all, then I would do club level.

If you and the in-laws have a decent relationship, and you want to try a new experience (and a gorgeous one at that), then go for the villa.

Honestly, it's a tough call. :confused3

Got all my ADR's out of the way this morning (couldn't make one reservation online but that's another story :rolleyes:). Had no choice but to wait until 7a to get a CM on the phone and thankfully, everything we wanted was available! Rosa is a happy girl today :dance3:

Got all my ADR's out of the way this morning (couldn't make one reservation online but that's another story :rolleyes:). Had no choice but to wait until 7a to get a CM on the phone and thankfully, everything we wanted was available! Rosa is a happy girl today :dance3:

Congratulations!!! :cool1:

It is always so nice to have those out of the way.

I just got off of the phone with IPO a little while ago. I called them to provide my CC info as my ADR day is Monday. I expressed my hesitation again with them doing my ADR's as I have always done them myself. The CM told me to "sit back & relax" and that I should wake up to an email from them on Monday with all of my ADR's....so scared!!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me!!! :wizard:

Happy Valentine's Day, Grand Friends!!:love:
Hope you are having a good day!

I just got off of the phone with IPO a little while ago. I called them to provide my CC info as my ADR day is Monday. I expressed my hesitation again with them doing my ADR's as I have always done them myself. The CM told me to "sit back & relax" and that I should wake up to an email from them on Monday with all of my ADR's....so scared!!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me!!! :wizard:

I was petrified the first time I used IPO. Scared to death. Worried and agonized over it for weeks. I had the hardest time falling asleep the night before my ADR date. The next morning, I woke up at 7 my time and immediately thought "oh NO!!". Grabbed my phone and scrolled thru the emails---- and like magic there was one from IPO giving me all of my confirmation numbers, including Le Cellier (which at the time was difficult to get) as well as 'Ohana. The times were even almost all the ones I had wanted. I think one of them might have been about 15 minutes off.

Now when it's my ADR date I roll over at 6 am instead of wringing my hands and fretting and I get a few more minutes of sleep, knowing IPO will take care of me. Love them!!:cloud9:

Rest easy!! It will work out and you too will soon be like me and snoozing thru the panic. :thumbsup2

I was petrified the first time I used IPO. Scared to death. Worried and agonized over it for weeks. I had the hardest time falling asleep the night before my ADR date. The next morning, I woke up at 7 my time and immediately thought "oh NO!!". Grabbed my phone and scrolled thru the emails---- and like magic there was one from IPO giving me all of my confirmation numbers, including Le Cellier (which at the time was difficult to get) as well as 'Ohana. The times were even almost all the ones I had wanted. I think one of them might have been about 15 minutes off.

Now when it's my ADR date I roll over at 6 am instead of wringing my hands and fretting and I get a few more minutes of sleep, knowing IPO will take care of me. Love them!!:cloud9:

Rest easy!! It will work out and you too will soon be like me and snoozing thru the panic. :thumbsup2

I sure hope so!!!!

I have been driving DH crazy the past couple of weeks with "Maybe I should do it myself??", "Should I let them do it?"....:laughing:

Here's hoping for a magical Monday morning. :goodvibes

Fingers and toes crossed for you and extra pixiedust:, although I'm sure you won't need it :)

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!:lovestruc

followthatmouse, mickeynut, Circusgirl - :thumbsup2 All great things to do at the Grand, I'm longing to sit in the lobby.~sigh~

MommyGina - :wave2: That would be my choice, too.

Mousemommy - we've always had good luck with IPO, but I don't book hard to get reservations, so take my comment for what it's worth.;)

JoBird - :laughing: Good to know, sounds like a much better way to spend the morning. I'm glad my experience is not just due to no difficult "gets".:thumbsup2

Mommyrosa - yay!:banana:

I've been trying to look up some information on the health club at the GF but can't seem to find anything. Has anyone tried it that can give me some info on it? or where I could get some info? Would like to know more of the spa and health club. Thanks

There is a lot of spa and health club info on the first page, first post.:thumbsup2

We have had treatments at the GF spa, as well as other WDW resort spas, but it was when they were still Niki Bryan. The change to Senses is relatively new, we haven't tried it yet.

As far as facilities go, the old GF spa was good - so I assume the newly refurbed spa is even better.:goodvibes

:lovestruc HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY all...

What are the "must do's" for everyone at the Grand?

So many good ideas already...:goodvibes Another is not exactly at the Grand..but something that I would recommend is timing a boat ride on the water launch during the fireworks...its a nice ride...leaves the GF heads over to the Poly and then to the MK and back to the GF...

Although the new villas are so lovely..I think that two rooms in SL sounds like a better option...Instead of a common living room area..you get all the nice perks of staying CL.. including the lounge area itself for extra space....and given the weather in April..you will be in such nice proximity to the courtyard pool... Really you cant go wrong with either decision! Happy planning! :wizard:

For us, we love strolling the grounds, breakfast at the GFC, sitting in the lobby listening to the music in the afternoon/evening, having a drink at Mizner's, grabbing a snack at Gasparilla's and watching Wishes, watching the EWP, browsing the shops, hanging at the pools, taking out the Sea Raycers. Dinner at Citricos, or better yet, V&A's is a great way to spend an evening.:cloud9: We also love to head over to the Poly for breakfast and/or some shopping.

Were we on vacation together!!?? Because we enjoy all of the same things! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

:dance3: Congratulations!

I couldn't agree more...so nice to have IPO take care of everything..:cloud9:

grannyminnie and Mickeynut and :wave2:

Good to "see" you MommyGina

Sorry Davale4 no help from me on that...Hopefully some one will come along that has used the facilities recently....

My GF thought for the day...LOL...

~Wonder when some of the items removed for the refurb are going to start showing up on ebay... :confused3

Hope that everyone if having a fab Friday! :earsgirl:

So many good ideas already...:goodvibes Another is not exactly at the Grand..but something that I would recommend is timing a boat ride on the water launch during the fireworks...its a nice ride...leaves the GF heads over to the Poly and then to the MK and back to the GF...

Ooh, great tip!!:goodvibes We love being on the launch during the fireworks.

Were we on vacation together!!?? Because we enjoy all of the same things! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I wish!!;) Instead, I was here in the cold and snowy Midwest.:sad:

My GF thought for the day...LOL...

~Wonder when some of the items removed for the refurb are going to start showing up on ebay... :confused3

Hope that everyone if having a fab Friday! :earsgirl:

Good question - are they not? I haven't even looked, though I did mention the Disney surplus site to DD. I so wish I had bought one of the Mickey lamps while they were still for sale in the gift shop. Phooey.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!:lovestruc

followthatmouse, mickeynut, Circusgirl - :thumbsup2 All great things to do at the Grand, I'm longing to sit in the lobby.~sigh~

MommyGina - :wave2: That would be my choice, too.

Mousemommy - we've always had good luck with IPO, but I don't book hard to get reservations, so take my comment for what it's worth.;)

JoBird - :laughing: Good to know, sounds like a much better way to spend the morning. I'm glad my experience is not just due to no difficult "gets".:thumbsup2

Mommyrosa - yay!:banana:

There is a lot of spa and health club info on the first page, first post.:thumbsup2

We have had treatments at the GF spa, as well as other WDW resort spas, but it was when they were still Niki Bryan. The change to Senses is relatively new, we haven't tried it yet.

As far as facilities go, the old GF spa was good - so I assume the newly refurbed spa is even better.:goodvibes

The only hard to get one I need is Be Our Guest. We ate there in April and when I made the ADR's for that one on our 180, I could only get it for our 10th night, so that's what I requested it for on this trip. The IPO CM stated that she knows it fills up fast but since I want it on the 10th night, they should be able to get it. :goodvibes

We shall see.....

My DH works out every day at the gym while we're there- and I had a massage in Sept when we went, after the refurb. Do you have specific questions I can try to answer?

My spa critique:

The facilities are small. The day I was there the hot tub was broken so I couldn't use it. I like to arrive an hour and a half before my massage to really get my mind relaxed because I tend to be a bit high strung and it takes me awhile to settle down.

There is this "lounge chair" type thing that is heated inside the waiting area. Imagine a lounger that is made up of tiny square tiles, that are heated. You lay back on it, just like a lounge chair (with a towel or robe of course ;) ) and it heats you up and lulls you into a state of relaxation. In front of the lounger (there are two of them) is a waterfall that provides a wonderful backdrop to listen to. I laid there for an hour with my eyes closed and was almost asleep when they came for me. I was perfectly relaxed by the time it was my turn, even though I didn't have a chance to go in the water.

My masseuse was really wonderful, she listened to me explain my issues and asked what type of pressure I wanted. I had an 80 minute swedish massage ($195) and it was good. Not the best I ever had, but good. I felt refreshed by the time I left.

I think your experience depends on what you're used to in a spa. I can't say I'm a spa junkie but I have been to some really fabulous ones, including the Spa at Pebble Beach the month before I went to the GF. If Pebble Beach was ranked a 9 in my mind, and the Spa Grande at the Grand Wailea Hotel in Maui is a 10 (it really is that great), then I will rank the GF around a 4. The massage was fine, the facilities just really don't provide a total package relaxation experience that so many other places offer.

Would I return? Yes. If I had a few hours of down time and needed to relax I would. I know what to expect now and can temper my expectations accordingly and possibly even enjoy it more. I *do* feel like the price is high, for the facilities they offer. (Just for reference, the Grand Wailea has 5 different water therapy baths that you can get into, along with a therapist scrubbing you down before your massage. An 80 minute swedish massage there is $220- here's a link to compare- http://www.grandwailea.com/pages/vacation-and-getaways/spa.html )

I hope that helps anyone looking for spa experiences. I'll try to answer any questions you might have.

The only hard to get one I need is Be Our Guest. We ate there in April and when I made the ADR's for that one on our 180, I could only get it for our 10th night, so that's what I requested it for on this trip. The IPO CM stated that she knows it fills up fast but since I want it on the 10th night, they should be able to get it. :goodvibes We shall see.....

I have never used IPO, but just wanted to tell you that if for some reason they can't get you BOG, try not to fret! I couldn't get it for our last night this trip when I called 180+ days out, but I called the dining line and the CM told me they only release a portion of the available ressies at first. She could 'see' on her computer that there were more that would open up and told me to check back in about two weeks. Sure enough, two weeks later they opened more times up and we got exactly what we wanted! Good Luck!!!

The only hard to get one I need is Be Our Guest. We ate there in April and when I made the ADR's for that one on our 180, I could only get it for our 10th night, so that's what I requested it for on this trip. The IPO CM stated that she knows it fills up fast but since I want it on the 10th night, they should be able to get it. :goodvibes

We shall see.....

I have never used IPO, but just wanted to tell you that if for some reason they can't get you BOG, try not to fret! I couldn't get it for our last night this trip when I called 180+ days out, but I called the dining line and the CM told me they only release a portion of the available ressies at first. She could 'see' on her computer that there were more that would open up and told me to check back in about two weeks. Sure enough, two weeks later they opened more times up and we got exactly what we wanted! Good Luck!!!

I was just going to post that I have read of people who were able to grab a BOG reservation closer to their dates, thanks for that info!:thumbsup2 Good luck, Mousemommy!

My DH works out every day at the gym while we're there- and I had a massage in Sept when we went, after the refurb. Do you have specific questions I can try to answer?

My spa critique:

The facilities are small. The day I was there the hot tub was broken so I couldn't use it. I like to arrive an hour and a half before my massage to really get my mind relaxed because I tend to be a bit high strung and it takes me awhile to settle down.

There is this "lounge chair" type thing that is heated inside the waiting area. Imagine a lounger that is made up of tiny square tiles, that are heated. You lay back on it, just like a lounge chair (with a towel or robe of course ;) ) and it heats you up and lulls you into a state of relaxation. In front of the lounger (there are two of them) is a waterfall that provides a wonderful backdrop to listen to. I laid there for an hour with my eyes closed and was almost asleep when they came for me. I was perfectly relaxed by the time it was my turn, even though I didn't have a chance to go in the water.

My masseuse was really wonderful, she listened to me explain my issues and asked what type of pressure I wanted. I had an 80 minute swedish massage ($195) and it was good. Not the best I ever had, but good. I felt refreshed by the time I left.

I think your experience depends on what you're used to in a spa. I can't say I'm a spa junkie but I have been to some really fabulous ones, including the Spa at Pebble Beach the month before I went to the GF. If Pebble Beach was ranked a 9 in my mind, and the Spa Grande at the Grand Wailea Hotel in Maui is a 10 (it really is that great), then I will rank the GF around a 4. The massage was fine, the facilities just really don't provide a total package relaxation experience that so many other places offer.

Would I return? Yes. If I had a few hours of down time and needed to relax I would. I know what to expect now and can temper my expectations accordingly and possibly even enjoy it more. I *do* feel like the price is high, for the facilities they offer. (Just for reference, the Grand Wailea has 5 different water therapy baths that you can get into, along with a therapist scrubbing you down before your massage. An 80 minute swedish massage there is $220- here's a link to compare- http://www.grandwailea.com/pages/vacation-and-getaways/spa.html )

I hope that helps anyone looking for spa experiences. I'll try to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks for that very thorough review!:goodvibes Great info, I'm going to link to your post from the first page.:thumbsup2

I have only used the services of spas at WDW, so have no outside experiences to compare. Before the GF Spa refurb, I thought the facilities were smaller and less comprehensive than those at SSR, larger than those at AKL and Y&BC - but thought they might have changed things a bit. My massage at GF Spa was good, I didn't use any of the other services. I think DD & her friends have used the gym equipment but I haven't asked about it.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!

I wish my husband and I were at the Grand right now.
There is to much snow here and more coming.

I hope everyone has a pleasant evening!

Congrats on getting all of your ADRs :thumbsup2.

Same to you :goodvibes.

I'm right there with ya....the thought of sitting in the lobby is :cloud9:.

Another is not exactly at the Grand..but something that I would recommend is timing a boat ride on the water launch during the fireworks...its a nice ride...leaves the GF heads over to the Poly and then to the MK and back to the GF...

Another great idea of what to do at the GF ::yes::.

We have a lot of snow as well, with more on the way this weekend....along with an icy mix :(. Being at the Grand right now right would be heavenly :cloud9:.

Thanks for all the great suggestions on must dos! Is this the right place to ask about MDE? Where does the GF fall in the order of resort drop-offs?

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!

:wave2: Hope you had a nice day.

I'm right there with ya....the thought of sitting in the lobby is :cloud9:.

We have a lot of snow as well, with more on the way this weekend....along with an icy mix :(. Being at the Grand right now right would be heavenly :cloud9:.

Argh! More snow, bad enough - icy mix, yikes!!:scared1: Be careful out there.

Wouldn't it be great to be sitting in Mizner's with a drink right about now?! (well, later today, lol)

Thanks for all the great suggestions on must dos! Is this the right place to ask about MDE? Where does the GF fall in the order of resort drop-offs?

Dead last, unfortunately.:headache: We have had a range of number of resorts on the bus with us - the most, 5 (POR, POFQ, CR, Poly, GF); least, 3 (CR, Poly, GF). Always, GF last.

Thanks for all the great suggestions on must dos!

You're welcome. Have a great trip and enjoy the GF :wizard:.

Argh! More snow, bad enough - icy mix, yikes!!:scared1: Be careful out there.

Wouldn't it be great to be sitting in Mizner's with a drink right about now?! (well, later today, lol)

Dead last, unfortunately.:headache: We have had a range of number of resorts on the bus with us - the most, 5 (POR, POFQ, CR, Poly, GF); least, 3 (CR, Poly, GF). Always, GF last.

I know.....snow is one thing, but ice is another :eek:.

Oh yes, how nice that would be :cloud9:.....I'll meet you there ;) :laughing:

We have never taken DME as I can't bring myself to get on a bus and wait to get to my resort. We usually take a car service, but when I can get a rental car for the same price or cheaper, we do that. I just love getting off the plane, getting our luggage (which usually never takes too long), getting in the car and being at our resort within about 30 minutes :goodvibes. Everyone tells me how convenient and fun DME is, but that's just one thing I can't bring myself to try :rotfl::rotfl:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!