HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can all relate, we need an over-planners anonymous.:laughing: This is another point for booking club level, you know what building you will be in if not the room.

On a positive note, there are very few bad rooms at the Grand, so it is overwhelmingly likely you will get a lovely view.:thumbsup2 With garden view, you could end up with a view of the courtyard pool, the marina or the back side of Sago with the monorail and landscaping. If you have a preference, be sure to ask to have it added to your reservation.

Thanks for your help! Since we're getting a discounted rate, I'm guessing we won't get the most sought-after rooms! But from all the reviews I've read, I'm sure any room will be nice. You should include photos of the rooms - just kidding - I DID see those :)

Guys, I cannot even believe I am posting this. We checked in today after 6 days at BC CL. Tomorrow is my 40th birthday.

WE WERE SURPRISE UPGRADED TO THE GRAND SUITE.

I swear I still can barely breathe. I am beside myself. I am still shaking. A few pics for the time being...

0D46D16B-2F8A-4CDE-8AFB-D3F9DE1A085A-7467-000002372B4FBE54.jpg

F2D0F9E9-1951-4BF0-99B6-E94B04BF0093-7467-000002372025123D.jpg

I have lots more but don't have much time right now. I can post more later or when I get home.

It has FIVE balconies. They told us Billy Joel played this piano. Johnny Depp stayed here.

It is insane. We have all cried. I am so grateful. We are here for four nights!!!

I am here with dh and kids. My BFF since childhood is staying on the second floor. We have already had our scones and snacks and shopped at basin. And an old friend who I have not seen in years is coming to meet for drinks tonight. Now this is a 40th birthday I can tolerate!

Wow!! What an amazing upgrade!!

Your lucky. I want to stay at GF. My DH doesn't. He loves the WL. A GF GV was more than a WL CL room with 35% off. Now that we have become DCL addicts as well as WDW addicts I have to be a little more budget conscience with the resorts. The food at the GF club levels looks wonderful. Enjoy!! Someday I will find myself at the GF.

We are huge WL CL lovers as well!

We stayed at YC CL this year and while it was nice, it just didn't stack up.

It will be interesting to see how we like Sugarloaf, but I'm excited to give it a shot! :goodvibes

Thanks for your help! Since we're getting a discounted rate, I'm guessing we won't get the most sought-after rooms! But from all the reviews I've read, I'm sure any room will be nice. You should include photos of the rooms - just kidding - I DID see those :)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Regarding the discount, in my experience that has no effect on which room you are assigned at WDW. If you have a preference, don't hesitate to ask for it - it's not a guarantee for anyone (even those paying rack) but they try to accommodate. I always ask again at check in, and if you get to the room and it is not to your liking, call the front desk and ask if there is something more in line with what you expected before you even set down anything in the room.:)

A week from now I will be checking into the Grand.... but today I'm taking my oldest to college for the first time. It will be our first family trip to WDW without her.:guilty:
So now I don't know if I should be laughing or crying. Maybe both. *sigh*

A week from now I will be checking into the Grand.... but today I'm taking my oldest to college for the first time. It will be our first family trip to WDW without her.:guilty:

I didn't expect to cry when we dropped our oldest off at college, but I did. :sad:

And the first trip without him felt weird, like we were incomplete. :sad2:

But there were also nice things about it, too. And it was really nice to be able to pay a little extra attention to the younger ones.

Have fun on your trip. :)

Just think school is not forever and they will join you again someday, I have felt that way too!!! Sometimes I wish things could stay the same:sad2:

:hug: Aww, sorry Mom. Another :hug: for you. It is so hard when they go off to college, isn't it?! All mine are out of college now, living their own lives. My DD is my travel buddy, so I still get to have trips with her, but they are less often. DH is NOT a WDW fan, so...~sigh~

Safe travels today, try not to be too depressed on the way home.:hug:

I didn't expect to cry when we dropped our oldest off at college, but I did. :sad:

And the first trip without him felt weird, like we were incomplete. :sad2:

But there were also nice things about it, too. And it was really nice to be able to pay a little extra attention to the younger ones.

Have fun on your trip. :)

:hug: I know exactly what you mean, the house doesn't feel the same, the family dynamic is changed. Hard.:hug: Sounds like you've found some positives, though.:goodvibes

Just think school is not forever and they will join you again someday, I have felt that way too!!! Sometimes I wish things could stay the same:sad2:

:hug: Oh, how many times have I wished we could go back and start all over again?! I tell all new parents I interact with to cherish every moment, even the frustrating ones when you just want to get them fed, bathed and into bed. Sweet days.

Oops, almost forgot!;) I added suite photos in post #6 (and some links at the top to previous FAQs with posts of suite photos) and some deluxe queen photos in post #5, if anyone wants to take a look. A link to the garden view - outer building photos from way back, at the top of post #5.

Edited to add: I reworked the links to take you directly to the posts, rather than the page and having to scroll down. Duh. Don't know what took me so long!:laughing: (except for Misti's, she has so many great photos on that page - so many great photos, period)

:sad::banana:

Both! Took our dd to college yesterday and oh does it hurt today. Made the mistake of going in her room this morning.:sad:

To ease the pain I booked my dh and I for the Grand in November for a weekend(got sitter for ds).

I have gone on mom n me trips with each of my two kids and just think about the extra TLC you can give with one less competing for your attention;)

Safe travels today and enjoy!

BethClayton :cake: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! and congrats on that awesome upgrade!! :wizard: What a great way to celebrate!! :goodvibes

MickeyNut Has anyone seen the map of the GF that belongs on the first page of this thread??!!!!!!!!!!!! :3dglasses:teleport::rolleyes1:rotfl2:;) LOL.. you know I am just teasing you!!!

:cheer2: Woohoo I week to go! ... :sad: I remember dropping my oldest child off at college for the first time...not an easy task....:hug: hang in there ..at least you have your trip to cheer you!

I agree..the time just flies :confused3 ...glad we made all of those Disney memories thru the years...

Both! Took our dd to college yesterday and oh does it hurt today. Made the mistake of going in her room this morning.:sad:

To ease the pain I booked my dh and I for the Grand in November for a weekend(got sitter for ds).

I have gone on mom n me trips with each of my two kids and just think about the extra TLC you can give with one less competing for your attention;)

:thumbsup2 Yay for booking a weekend get away to ease the taking DD to college pain... I have always done those mom and me trips with all of my kids..and now as young adults they still remember them so fondly...:crowded: We are all so lucky to be able to say that...its nice to that our fondness for Disney has been a fun bonding factor...

k&a&c'smom Reworking the links...:thumbsup2 Hope that you didn't move the map!!???? :confused3 LOL..don't want any confusion.. ;) We are at the same young adult stage..and it has taken some getting used too... But I will admit...DH and I do enjoy the peace and quiet some times! and those adult only trips to WDW...my DH is not quite the fan that I am a big ~sigh~ here too....but my DD is always willing to be my travel buddy..(when her schedule permits that is..)...

I have been checking summer 2014 dates..yet again....:blush: and there are no SL rooms showing availibility in June and still no RPC ones in July.. so it is looking like there must be refurbs going on then....

:blush: Ok...after all of my teasing... I see the link to the aerial map of the GF...but..I do not see the general map??? Hmmmm.... :upsidedow :p :scratchin

BethClayton :cake: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! and congrats on that awesome upgrade!! :wizard: What a great way to celebrate!! :goodvibes

MickeyNut Has anyone seen the map of the GF that belongs on the first page of this thread??!!!!!!!!!!!! :3dglasses:teleport::rolleyes1:rotfl2:;) LOL.. you know I am just teasing you!!!

:cheer2: Woohoo I week to go! ... :sad: I remember dropping my oldest child off at college for the first time...not an easy task....:hug: hang in there ..at least you have your trip to cheer you!

I agree..the time just flies :confused3 ...glad we made all of those Disney memories thru the years...

:thumbsup2 Yay for booking a weekend get away to ease the taking DD to college pain... I have always done those mom and me trips with all of my kids..and now as young adults they still remember them so fondly...:crowded: We are all so lucky to be able to say that...its nice to that our fondness for Disney has been a fun bonding factor...

k&a&c'smom Reworking the links...:thumbsup2 Hope that you didn't move the map!!???? :confused3 LOL..don't want any confusion.. ;) We are at the same young adult stage..and it has taken some getting used too... But I will admit...DH and I do enjoy the peace and quiet some times! and those adult only trips to WDW...my DH is not quite the fan that I am a big ~sigh~ here too....but my DD is always willing to be my travel buddy..(when her schedule permits that is..)...

I have been checking summer 2014 dates..yet again....:blush: and there are no SL rooms showing availibility in June and still no RPC ones in July.. so it is looking like there must be refurbs going on then....

I know there were rumors going around about refurb at GF....do you know if it supposed to just be a soft goods refurb? That would be exciting to get a new room in August at Sugarloaf! :p

I told my husband this very idea yesterday!

We took our oldest DS to college Wednesday (miss him). I suggested to DH that, in four years, after third son has his move to college day we should be leaving for the Grand the very next day! He said great idea!

Imagine the care package you can put together for your daughter on your weekend trip :)

I told my husband this very idea yesterday!

We took our oldest DS to college Wednesday (miss him). I suggested to DH that, in four years, after third son has his move to college day we should be leaving for the Grand the very next day! He said great idea!

Imagine the care package you can put together for your daughter on your weekend trip :)

The new Vera Disney bags will be in so I will definitely get one for her.

I booked us at GF/VGF January 1-5 so we can have a few days to re-bond with each other. DS and DD really spend more actual time together at Disney vs anything else.(no friends getting in the way)

I got annual passes this year and really have been packing in the trips:rotfl:

Hopefully your DS will call/keep in touch:) Boys don't usually do as much as girls. I think my son could go a month without talking to me yet dd and are bff's.

Hang in there. I have been told by end of Christmas break we are ready for them to leave again:rotfl2:

Are there any pics of Tpv from an outer building? I can't seem to find any. Just a few from the main building, we would prefer being closer to the water.

We are staying at GF for the first time in November. I am so looking forward to it. It's been my dream to stay here. I had originally booked the Poly as DH wanted to stay there; but with the upcoming construction, we decided to switch resorts. DH isn't too thrilled about GF either. Although, I must admit that I'm not overly thrilled with the room decor (bedspreads). I hope it's prettier in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!