• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you had any success using your bank debit card for purchases in the US?

TimNDansMom

DIS Veteran
I have no problem using my debit card at ATM's in the US, but a friend who is travelling in the US next month, was told by her bank that she could make purchases using her debit card at some stores. I did not think that this was possible and I told my friend that I would see if I could get any experiences/info from the DIS. Any Canadians here tried using their debit card to pay for purchases in the US?

I have only gotten some replies on the Community Board from Americans using their debit cards, without success, in Canada, but I'd really like to know if any Canadians were able to do this in the US, so I'm trying the Canadian Board. :D

I don't remember seeing anywhere that had the interact system that we have here. I remember hearing somewhere that they didn't have our type of system as it would be nearly impossible with the number of different banks they have. I know that you can use the bank machine to pull out money, but not debit like we have at pretty much every commercial establishment. I am totally dependant on my bank card and never carry cash- so it was kind've a pain having to do so while at wdw!!
Grover in Winnipeg
:smooth:

Hi grover, thanks for your reply. :D

You have said pretty much what I thought too. I am going to tell my friend that she's probably not going to be able to use her debit card other than cash withdrawals at the ATM's, just to be on the safe side.

I am like you--carry little cash and use my debit card for everything! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter