Have you ever witnessed anything on an airplane?

On a flight to China I had a lady pass out next to me in the aisle.

On a flight to MCO in October I had two passengers about two rows up from me get into a fist fight because the man on the aisle wouldn't immediately get up to let the window seat out once we reached the gate. Finally the next next to me yellled at them to knock it off and take it outside because some of us had connections to make.

I was on a flight out of Dublin where someone was being extradited. He was handcuffed and screaming a few rows behind me.

My Virgin Atlantic flight from NY to London served free beer/wine in economy. They also served ice cream bars!!! This was about 8 years ago.

MJ

My family and I had an experience this past March on a trip to Mexico City. We travel often enough and have never come across another passenger like this. I actually posted this on Aero Mexico's Facebook page. I will add that we also emailed this letter to two different email address with the company and the response we received was that they saw no problem. We have since reported this incident to the FAA and hopefully get a response from them. I have copied and pasted my letter below:

I am writing about my experience on my family's flight on Sunday March 12th at 11:30 pm from Boston to Mexico City (Flight 699). Our entire flight was affected by a drunk passenger that the flight attendants allowed to be unruly and abusive towards the other passengers. My family has tried to call customer service twice the first person (Angel) advised us that the other passenger had the right to drink and the second customer service rep (Jesus) said that AeroMexico had no customer service department that answered phones and we would have to send an email. How a large business could have no customer service department we can call is beyond me.

On Sunday, my family was seated in aisle 18. There were 3 of us and we took up the row. On the left side of our row was a couple that had the window and middle of their row and the drunk passenger (going forward will be known as DP) on their aisle.

DP started off the flight by bringing on a bottle of liquor (I am assuming he bought it in the duty free shop) and yelling out to the plane if anyone wanted shots and continuously taking large swigs from his open bottle of liquor. He did this the entire night and at times also offered Xanax to the other passengers.

After our meal had been served (and DP was served at least 3 drinks from the flight attendants) and the lights had been dimmed so we could sleep for our overnight flight, DP took out his phone (that had dressing room lights going around the entire case), makeup bag, and a spotlight that he asked the female passenger sitting next to him to shine on him. This spotlight was going all over the cabin and making it difficult for anyone to sleep. After several minutes, I asked him to please turn off the light because my seven-year old was trying to sleep. He told me "I got you girl" but apparently he didn't because he went back to the spotlight and his makeup (why he needed to put makeup before going to sleep, I have no idea). The person behind me also spoke up about the light but was told to basically shut up and he would do his makeup if he wanted.
At this point, I got up to use the bathroom, and spoke to the flight attendant about the situation and the open bottle of liquor. I believe DP was spoken because the makeup and spotlight were put away by the time I returned to my seat but the bottle was never removed because I continued to see him take swigs from the bottle.

At this time, the old woman (approximately 80-years old) in the seat in front of him reclined her seat to go to sleep. DP went ballistic and started screaming at her calling her a bad names and other words I would prefer not type out. He started beating and pushing on her seat. He kept screaming that he was tall and she had no right to put her seat back. Several people tried to speak to him but he was out of control and we were afraid of him. I kept thinking that the flight attendants would show up and take him away but they never did. The entire cabin could hear him screaming so I don't know where they were.

At some point DP gave up on the beating on the seat and decided to go to sleep. He did this by turning his body and putting his feet into the aisle and laying all over the young girl in the middle seat. I know he was lying all over the girl because her boyfriend kept yelling at DP to get off of her. Eventually the boyfriend switched places with his girlfriend and I got to hear him yell at DP to get off of him (I don't blame the guy but it made it impossible to get any sleep).

I watched people have to climb over this guys legs in the dark to get to the bathroom for quite awhile. Thank goodness my 70-year old mother didn't need to use the bathroom because there is no way she could have stepped over his legs. The final insult came when DP stretched his legs out to get more comfortable and placed his feet on my legs. I asked him to move his feet off my legs and he told me no.

I then hit the flight attendant light and someone showed up. I asked them to get his feet off of my leg. They did help me out but it was no easy task to get DP to move his legs back into his space. They had to move his arm rest and wrestle him back in. DP physically attacked the flight attendant during this time which I thought for sure would get him moved and possibly arrested but the flight attendant let it go.

Shortly afterwards, for no apparent reason, DP started to rock in his seat and bang his head into the older woman's seat in front of him. This went on for awhile. When the older woman tried to complain, the flight attendant told her quite down because people were sleeping and as far as I could tell they said nothing to DP.

As we got closer to our destination, they handed out the customs forms. DP started to scream that he needed a pen. This went on for about 10 minutes until a flight attendant finally produced one for him.

Just before we landed, DP gave one more offer to everyone around him for a shot from his opened bottle of liquor and some more Xanax (this was fantastic for my 7-year old to be hearing). DP was advised to put his bag under his seat just before we were about to land but he never did it (I realize this didn't affect me but wanted to point out the open defiance that the flight attendants allowed to happen). Once landed and phones could be turned on we were treated to a conversation DP had with someone about all the blunts he was going to be smoking in Mexico.

I have never been on a worse flight in my entire life. I am just astounded that the flight attendants would allow this passenger to be so abusive to the other passengers without any consequences. DP should have been removed from the other passengers and placed somewhere where he couldn't have abused us.

I am sorry to have had to post this on Facebook but we couldn't get anyone in customer service to help us.

My Virgin Atlantic flight from NY to London served free beer/wine in economy. They also served ice cream bars!!! This was about 8 years ago.

MJ

I fly internationally a lot (last overseas flight was Monday) and often in economy. Beer/wine is generally free in economy on the overseas flights (the types/brands is generally limited though). In the last 12 months I've flown United, Delta, Air Canada, KLM, Air France, ANA, British Airways, and Lufthansa - all had (limited) free alcohol in economy.

My family and I had an experience this past March on a trip to Mexico City. We travel often enough and have never come across another passenger like this. I actually posted this on Aero Mexico's Facebook page. I will add that we also emailed this letter to two different email address with the company and the response we received was that they saw no problem. We have since reported this incident to the FAA and hopefully get a response from them. I have copied and pasted my letter below:

I am writing about my experience on my family's flight on Sunday March 12th at 11:30 pm from Boston to Mexico City (Flight 699). Our entire flight was affected by a drunk passenger that the flight attendants allowed to be unruly and abusive towards the other passengers. My family has tried to call customer service twice the first person (Angel) advised us that the other passenger had the right to drink and the second customer service rep (Jesus) said that AeroMexico had no customer service department that answered phones and we would have to send an email. How a large business could have no customer service department we can call is beyond me.

On Sunday, my family was seated in aisle 18. There were 3 of us and we took up the row. On the left side of our row was a couple that had the window and middle of their row and the drunk passenger (going forward will be known as DP) on their aisle.

DP started off the flight by bringing on a bottle of liquor (I am assuming he bought it in the duty free shop) and yelling out to the plane if anyone wanted shots and continuously taking large swigs from his open bottle of liquor. He did this the entire night and at times also offered Xanax to the other passengers.

After our meal had been served (and DP was served at least 3 drinks from the flight attendants) and the lights had been dimmed so we could sleep for our overnight flight, DP took out his phone (that had dressing room lights going around the entire case), makeup bag, and a spotlight that he asked the female passenger sitting next to him to shine on him. This spotlight was going all over the cabin and making it difficult for anyone to sleep. After several minutes, I asked him to please turn off the light because my seven-year old was trying to sleep. He told me "I got you girl" but apparently he didn't because he went back to the spotlight and his makeup (why he needed to put makeup before going to sleep, I have no idea). The person behind me also spoke up about the light but was told to basically shut up and he would do his makeup if he wanted.
At this point, I got up to use the bathroom, and spoke to the flight attendant about the situation and the open bottle of liquor. I believe DP was spoken because the makeup and spotlight were put away by the time I returned to my seat but the bottle was never removed because I continued to see him take swigs from the bottle.

At this time, the old woman (approximately 80-years old) in the seat in front of him reclined her seat to go to sleep. DP went ballistic and started screaming at her calling her a bad names and other words I would prefer not type out. He started beating and pushing on her seat. He kept screaming that he was tall and she had no right to put her seat back. Several people tried to speak to him but he was out of control and we were afraid of him. I kept thinking that the flight attendants would show up and take him away but they never did. The entire cabin could hear him screaming so I don't know where they were.

At some point DP gave up on the beating on the seat and decided to go to sleep. He did this by turning his body and putting his feet into the aisle and laying all over the young girl in the middle seat. I know he was lying all over the girl because her boyfriend kept yelling at DP to get off of her. Eventually the boyfriend switched places with his girlfriend and I got to hear him yell at DP to get off of him (I don't blame the guy but it made it impossible to get any sleep).

I watched people have to climb over this guys legs in the dark to get to the bathroom for quite awhile. Thank goodness my 70-year old mother didn't need to use the bathroom because there is no way she could have stepped over his legs. The final insult came when DP stretched his legs out to get more comfortable and placed his feet on my legs. I asked him to move his feet off my legs and he told me no.

I then hit the flight attendant light and someone showed up. I asked them to get his feet off of my leg. They did help me out but it was no easy task to get DP to move his legs back into his space. They had to move his arm rest and wrestle him back in. DP physically attacked the flight attendant during this time which I thought for sure would get him moved and possibly arrested but the flight attendant let it go.

Shortly afterwards, for no apparent reason, DP started to rock in his seat and bang his head into the older woman's seat in front of him. This went on for awhile. When the older woman tried to complain, the flight attendant told her quite down because people were sleeping and as far as I could tell they said nothing to DP.

As we got closer to our destination, they handed out the customs forms. DP started to scream that he needed a pen. This went on for about 10 minutes until a flight attendant finally produced one for him.

Just before we landed, DP gave one more offer to everyone around him for a shot from his opened bottle of liquor and some more Xanax (this was fantastic for my 7-year old to be hearing). DP was advised to put his bag under his seat just before we were about to land but he never did it (I realize this didn't affect me but wanted to point out the open defiance that the flight attendants allowed to happen). Once landed and phones could be turned on we were treated to a conversation DP had with someone about all the blunts he was going to be smoking in Mexico.

I have never been on a worse flight in my entire life. I am just astounded that the flight attendants would allow this passenger to be so abusive to the other passengers without any consequences. DP should have been removed from the other passengers and placed somewhere where he couldn't have abused us.

I am sorry to have had to post this on Facebook but we couldn't get anyone in customer service to help us.

Wow. Well, I'm not going to fly with aero Mexico. Are they discount or regular? Truly sorry you had to experience that.

I'm guessing the airline CAN'T actually do anything about the booze and what the guy said about the various drugs. I can tell that made you uncomfortable, but I don't think that's something an airline will nail people for. I see people drink all the time on flights.
And the light thing is a gray area, probably.

I am however really surprised the guy didn't get in trouble for the physical stuff- how he treated the lady in front of him or his seat mates. Sounds like a pretty clear cut case of assault on both cases. But I'm not sure where you expected them to move him? In a case like that, I can really only see an airline having police meet the guy upon arrival, or turning back and doing an emergency landing to deplane the guy forcibly.

Wow. Well, I'm not going to fly with aero Mexico. Are they discount or regular? Truly sorry you had to experience that.

I'm guessing the airline CAN'T actually do anything about the booze and what the guy said about the various drugs. I can tell that made you uncomfortable, but I don't think that's something an airline will nail people for. I see people drink all the time on flights.
And the light thing is a gray area, probably.

I am however really surprised the guy didn't get in trouble for the physical stuff- how he treated the lady in front of him or his seat mates. Sounds like a pretty clear cut case of assault on both cases. But I'm not sure where you expected them to move him? In a case like that, I can really only see an airline having police meet the guy upon arrival, or turning back and doing an emergency landing to deplane the guy forcibly.

I think they are a discount airline. We were able to fly for a pretty great price. As for moving him, the back few rows were empty so I had thought they could move him back there. I thought for sure they would have police meet him at the gate but they seemed to ignore most of his behavior.

Looking back, I wish I had hit the flight attendant button each time he was acting up to make them handle him but at the time I was afraid of him.

I think they are a discount airline. We were able to fly for a pretty great price. As for moving him, the back few rows were empty so I had thought they could move him back there. I thought for sure they would have police meet him at the gate but they seemed to ignore most of his behavior.

Looking back, I wish I had hit the flight attendant button each time he was acting up to make them handle him but at the time I was afraid of him.

Even if the rows were empty, he'd still be disrupting someone, and my thing is that they'd have to compel the guy to move so it would probably endanger both them and the passengers.

Yeah, I get the fear. But the only way to fight back in a situation like that is to hit the button. A guy like that will continue until stopped.

Then one of them decides to recline their seat back, squishing the women's lap baby

Argh! I have had that happen to me before.
Flight from Orlando to LA, guy slams his seat back all the way into knees, I had one leg crossed over the other to help hold up the dead weight of the sleeping 18 month old, a bit later when my legs were getting numb I switched my legs over, given that his chair was touching my knees it bumped him and he threw a fit called the FA who proceeded to tell me that he had a right to recline his chair, I said yes he does and I have a right to move my legs.

It may be if the kids can't handle any luggage and the parent(s) are struggling to get everything aboard. It's no fun when someone is blocking the aisle or bumping luggage into other passengers. That may be the ideal situation for checking in luggage, but of course that costs extra these days.

And in my experience, it's almost always a childless (at least while traveling) adult. I think for the most part, parents of young children are so afraid of being the one to cause problems, that we become super efficient. When DH and I travel with the 4 kids, we have going through security and boarding/unboarding a plane down to a science. We've had TSA agents comment on how impressed they were.

That FA is my hero. I've seen people have more than 1 "lapchild" and I think its an absolute hazard. There aren't enough oxygen masks, if there is serious turbulence how can they hold them both well?

The one time I flew with a kid as a lap child they actually made me switch sides of the plane with DH because the side I was booked on didn't 4 masks (3 & 3 seating set up). I'm shocked they let 3 kids fly as lap children with only two adults. And we had to prove age with a birth certificate even though she was obviously under 1.

When was booze ever free in coach? I did some flying pre-9/11, but it was all college/childhood personal stuff maybe a couple of times a year.

Alaska still serves free beer/wine on domestic flights. I had two glasses of wine each direction between the Bay Area and LAX this past weekend. I was not driving on either end.

Sure about that? Last time I flew on Alaska the alcohol was not free. They're currently listing it was $6-7 for beer, wine or liquor.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/flight-experience/main-cabin/food-and-drink.aspx

I'm pretty sure I've been offered a glass of wine on Alaska. It was just on the standard beverage cart. They have a separate menu for wine you can choose, but they had just cheap red wine as a free option.

Only on one route though. So maybe it's route dependent? Like the above example, it was a short flight.

You could say the same thing about elderly people who can't lift their luggage to the overhead. Or even short people.

I am a short person. I learned this lesson very quickly on my first solo flight. I now make sure I can lift the carry on because not only must you hoist it above your head but also do a bit of a jump shot to reach the overhead carry on bins in some planes.

I have been fortunate that every time I have flown business class that a tall person has usually offered very kindly to do it for me. I have never had that experience in coach or first class, but let me clarify that I do not expect anyone else to handle my luggage for me. It's my responsibility to be able to take care of me and my things. I'm just pointing out that experience.

Sure about that? Last time I flew on Alaska the alcohol was not free. They're currently listing it was $6-7 for beer, wine or liquor.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/flight-experience/main-cabin/food-and-drink.aspx

Since I literally just flew them this past weekend and had said free wine, yes I'm positive. Not all of their alcohol is free, but they do serve one free beer selection and one free wine selection each direction.

However, like Westcoastwild said, maybe it's route specific. I know for sure it's between the Bay Area and LAX and between the Bay Area and Seattle. I've had it on both flights.

Nothing too exciting. Once many years ago my flight was delayed, police boarded, and after 10 minutes they escorted off a guy from the back of the plane in handcuffs. I don't know if he caused a disturbance on board or if the cops tracked him down as a fugitive.

While landing in Albany, NY one night the lady who was sitting next to me in the window seat slept all the way from Orlando. Upon the wheels touching down in Albany, she suddenly woke up, grabbed the air sickness bag and started vomiting.

Um wow that is just well holy moly sounds like a nightmare :eek:. Discount airline or not no airline should tolerate that going on in their plane. Sorry you had to experience that :hug:

I've had a fairly innocent past with regards to air travel. The worst I've seen is a petulant child refuse to sit down on take off and the head steward had to threaten returning to the terminal and ejecting the family. The kid sat down.

Hey, I'm not blaming the kids. I'm blaming the adults who may or may not be abusing both their own and their children's baggage allowance. If the kid is old enough to handle their own roller bag the whole trip, that's one thing. But if a family of 4- 2 adults, 2 kids still young enough to be in a stroller- comes on board with 4 of the largest allowed carryon luggages plus 4 personal items, that's ridiculous. Yes, they're allowed. But anyone who abuses the luggage limits is part of the problem. I see this every single flight. I trust you know what your kid needs. I also have a hard time believing you can't fit clothing for two or three young kids in one carryon. But then, I also have a hard time believing my sister really needs 5 pairs of shoes for a 5 day trip. Apparently, she does. She was trying to convince me to stick them in my own luggage last trip.

Again- I am not solely blaming this on the kids. I agree that adults are guilty of overpacking. What I can check, I check. If I don't have anything breakable my bag, I'll gate check my carryon. It's just enormously frustrating to carry my computer bag or daypack on and then have to hunt for a place to stick it because the bins are full of roller bags that I know people brought on board just to save a measly $25. No one wants to spend that money.

But my point is- more people should, if only to make boarding a bit more of a pleasant (and faster) experience for everyone.

How is it abusing the allowance?
EVERYONE has the same allowance, I don't see why a family of four should have to bring less per person than a single person? If they can't fit the carton allowance for everyone they sell tickets to, they should reduce the allowance....
Don't know if you have travelled with kids, but I can tell you they can take a lot of stuff, you need baby food, diapers and wipes, changes of clothes for them, plus you (which I never took before having kids but no one wants to be stuck on a 12 hour flight in a vomit covered top). You need enough stuff for the length of your trip plus possible delays.
Plus the stuff we would take because valuables can't be checked.

Personally I think the idea of a "lap child" is pretty horrendous in the first place. It goes back to a time when car passengers weren't required to wear seat belts and parents would hold kids in their laps in the front seat.

However, I thought international travel usually required a fare for that. It might have been something like 10% of an adult fare. However, any child will get the full baggage allowance, which still exists for international.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/infant.aspx

Lap children don't get a luggage allowance anymore just the stroller and the car seat, they did get a full allowance until about a year ago.

I've never seen a lapchild on an international flight now that you mention it. Weird, I'd never thought about it. When I travel for business, and the flight is 7-8 hours they usually put us in business and I have decent status, so its been probably 10 years since I flew coach overseas. I'm with you on the whole thing though, it seems like its an accident waiting to happen to VERY ill effect.

We have had a lap child every year for the last 7 years, we have done somewhere in the ball park of 50 flights with them, many of them international flights that are 12-14 hours.
You should know that flights either within the US or with a depart/arrival in the US require the car seats to have a FAA approved sticker on the tonne allowed-something that isn't on car seats bought outside of North Anerica.

I don't know of any airline that would provide assistance just because someone has children.
I can tell you Air NZ does Good Night story time and takes the kids to he back of the plane after dinner service before lights out to be read a bedtime story.

How is it abusing the allowance?
EVERYONE has the same allowance, I don't see why a family of four should have to bring less per person than a single person? If they can't fit the carton allowance for everyone they sell tickets to, they should reduce the allowance....
Don't know if you have travelled with kids, but I can tell you they can take a lot of stuff, you need baby food, diapers and wipes, changes of clothes for them, plus you (which I never took before having kids but no one wants to be stuck on a 12 hour flight in a vomit covered top). You need enough stuff for the length of your trip plus possible delays.
Plus the stuff we would take because valuables can't be checked.

Lap children don't get a luggage allowance anymore just the stroller and the car seat, they did get a full allowance until about a year ago.

We have had a lap child every year for the last 7 years, we have done somewhere in the ball park of 50 flights with them, many of them international flights that are 12-14 hours.
You should know that flights either within the US or with a depart/arrival in the US require the car seats to have a FAA approved sticker on the tonne allowed-something that isn't on car seats bought outside of North Anerica.

I can tell you Air NZ does Good Night story time and takes the kids to he back of the plane after dinner service before lights out to be read a bedtime story.

Right. Yes, I have travelled with kids. The spare shirt in case of vomit is an absolute necessity. They do need extra stuff. But you don't need the stuff for the WHOLE trip WITH you. Again. I am not solely criticizing people with kids. I'm criticizing people in general who abuse the carryon rules just to avoid checking luggage. Those same people tend to pack everything but the kitchen sink so that compounds the problem. The point is- right or wrong- an airplane passenger compartment does not have enough space for every single passenger to bring a roller. So everyone needs to be courteous and check bags when possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter