Have you ever gone on a Disney Cruise alone?

I have. :) It was a great experience! 99% of things on a Disney Cruise can be done solo. One exception might be Ping-Pong on the top decks. :rolleyes1

At dinners, I was seated with 6 other solo travelers. We had nice conversations and I enjoyed seeing these folks around the ship from time to time.

I loved having my own schedule, having the bed and bath to myself, and being able to eat/sleep/play whenever I pleased. I never even had to touch my Wavephone because I didn't need to communicate with anyone except me.

In my limited experience, it was difficult to get single-person reservation at Palo and Remy. On our last cruise I was dying to try those and my parents weren't all that interested. When I tried to add a reservation online and select just myself, it would come up as having no time slot available - but if I select 2 or 3 people of my party, it would show several time slots available. Apparently at least in certain situations the system doesn't allow a single person to occupy a table, which I think sucks.

I'd be interested to know if others have been able to make single-person reservations online, or if it's possible with a phone call, or if you have to wait until you're on the ship and speak to someone in person...

Last edited:

I'd be interested to know if others have been able to make single-person reservations online, or if it's possible with a phone call, or if you have to wait until you're on the ship and speak to someone in person...
It may depend on what time you're looking to make your reservation. In my experience, even with the two B2B cruises that I booked only 6 weeks ahead of time, I've been able to get a solo reservation at Palo at 6 pm online in advance. For my two B2B cruises this summer I had time slots wide open to choose from for Palo when I booked for both at 105 days out (Mmmm - Palo chocolate soufflé twice in 10 days!!). I also had a 6 pm solo reservation at Remy on the Fantasy one time too.

I might have read it wrong, but I was pretty sure I read it's 2-person kayaks.
Huh. I don't remember seeing that in the description. Guess I'm sharing a kayak!

In my limited experience, it was difficult to get single-person reservation at Palo and Remy. On our last cruise I was dying to try those and my parents weren't all that interested. When I tried to add a reservation online and select just myself, it would come up as having no time slot available - but if I select 2 or 3 people of my party, it would show several time slots available. Apparently at least in certain situations the system doesn't allow a single person to occupy a table, which I think sucks.

Haven't tried Remy, but I've never had an issue at Palo. Maybe because my reservation isn't linked to anyone else's?

Worst case make the reservation for 2 and cancel the other one either in advance or on board.

It may depend on what time you're looking to make your reservation. In my experience, even with the two B2B cruises that I booked only 6 weeks ahead of time, I've been able to get a solo reservation at Palo at 6 pm online in advance. For my two B2B cruises this summer I had time slots wide open to choose from for Palo when I booked for both at 105 days out (Mmmm - Palo chocolate soufflé twice in 10 days!!). I also had a 6 pm solo reservation at Remy on the Fantasy one time too.

Huh. I don't remember seeing that in the description. Guess I'm sharing a kayak!

I just went back and checked - it doesn't say it...but the pictures are tandem kayaks. Maybe they figured showing 2 people was better than 1 and they do offer singles? :)

Haven't tried Remy, but I've never had an issue at Palo. Maybe because my reservation isn't linked to anyone else's?
Hadn't thought about that aspect of it. The only time I've had issues booking Palo was when I was trying for a reservation for 4 people across 3 linked reservations. I finally just booked what was available and changed it onboard with no difficulty.

Hadn't thought about that aspect of it. The only time I've had issues booking Palo was when I was trying for a reservation for 4 people across 3 linked reservations. I finally just booked what was available and changed it onboard with no difficulty.

Yeah, I don't know. I have either been booking it for everyone in the reservation (linked or otherwise) or just me on a solo. When I was on the Dream and my sister had gotten permission to join me, we just went to the dining changes location and confirmed that she had permission (she had already spoken with the manager to try and put me at a larger table in case she and a couple of fellow crew could join) and it got changed to the correct number.

The reservations (for both Palo and Remy, not the same day lol) I ended up booking online were at 6pm as well, and I had to include my parents to be able to book them - but all's well since they ended up enjoying the experience after all. This was September of last year (2016).

If solo reservations are allowed in some cases but not others, the only reason I can think of is that the system would give a 2-top table to 1 person, but not a 4-top (when all 2-tops are booked)? Just a theory though.

Maybe you can share a tandem with a guide if you are the only solo guest? That wouldn't be so bad... they may always be in singles though I guess so they can get to people more quickly.

I just went back and checked - it doesn't say it...but the pictures are tandem kayaks. Maybe they figured showing 2 people was better than 1 and they do offer singles? :)

About 20 years ago, I kayaked quite a bit. Trust me, that 2-person kayaks are the exception, not the rule. Much easier to paddle, maneuver, enjoy kayaking if each person has their own. Like tandem bicycles, they are interesting to look at and perhaps to try but still a curiosity.

Looking for additional info about this. I was surprised and somewhat irritated that the price for a solo traveler was almost exactly the same as for two travelers. I'd like to do a Halloween on the High Seas cruise.

I travel as a single parent, which is almost the same as travelling solo. Once we are on the ship, my daughter pretty much takes off and does all her own stuff, so I am left to do whatever I choose on my own. As far as excursions, I would probably feel better about truly being solo than being a single mother. I always feel comfortable everywhere and we've done DCL and non-DCL excursions. I do feel like I look out around me more and worry a little more because my child is with me than if I were by myself.
I really want to go on the NY to Quebec cruise, but can't take my child out of school at that time. I am tempted to go by myself. She would be very upset at me though.

I travel as a single parent, which is almost the same as travelling solo. Once we are on the ship, my daughter pretty much takes off and does all her own stuff, so I am left to do whatever I choose on my own. As far as excursions, I would probably feel better about truly being solo than being a single mother. I always feel comfortable everywhere and we've done DCL and non-DCL excursions. I do feel like I look out around me more and worry a little more because my child is with me than if I were by myself.
I really want to go on the NY to Quebec cruise, but can't take my child out of school at that time. I am tempted to go by myself. She would be very upset at me though.
I'm not a single parent, but I do travel without my dh sometimes and just my kids or lately just one kid. My son's like your daughter he's off on and running as soon as we're on the ship. I have to bribe and threaten him to come to dinner. I wan't to do the same cruise you do. My son is homeschooled so that's not a problem, but I already have a cruise planned and a trip to WDW. If the GT rates are still available come August/September and I have the money..... maybe just maybe.

Looking for additional info about this. I was surprised and somewhat irritated that the price for a solo traveler was almost exactly the same as for two travelers. I'd like to do a Halloween on the High Seas cruise.

It's because their billing structure assumes they're entitled to a profit based on a minimum of double occupancy in all staterooms. I agree that it stinks; other cruise lines charge 150% or 175% for a solo cruiser, but DCL is doing well enough at filling cabins that they don't have a problem charging the full 200%. On the bright side, when I go with my housemate in 2020 my half-share of the cruise fare is going to feel downright cheap.

I did a solo cruise in January; there's a trip report link in my signature (I'm afraid it isn't finished yet, though).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter