Have we reached the saturation point?

Construction is only playing a minor roll in the Studios portions of courses, it didn't do anything to AK portions/races. W&D is all sold out but the challenge so don't see it going back to night. Signing up 11 months out isn't hurting registrations, example Wine & Dine as well as some of marathon weekend is sold out. I think Kylo Ren looks great as the medal and I'm sure I'll like it better in person.
I have a feeling the cancelled January half marathon played a huge role in Wine and Dine selling out,I spoke to several friends who ran it last year who agreed with me that Wine and Dine went from the coolest half at DW with the best course to just another race and by far the worst course,one was plain angry in how late they announced the course and he said he wouldn't have done it if he knew how bad the course would be.As far as the Kylo Ren medal,I've seen it in person several times at the expos and while its not the worst I've seen it totally lacks,the 2016 Dark side half was a really nice medal!

I have a feeling the cancelled January half marathon played a huge role in Wine and Dine selling out,I spoke to several friends who ran it last year who agreed with me that Wine and Dine went from the coolest half at DW with the best course to just another race and by far the worst course,one was plain angry in how late they announced the course and he said he wouldn't have done it if he knew how bad the course would be.As far as the Kylo Ren medal,I've seen it in person several times at the expos and while its not the worst I've seen it totally lacks,the 2016 Dark side half was a really nice medal!
I would love to see numbers as to where the majority of people who took the option to run a different race went.

TAs and charities are taking it in he shorts significantly for Dark Side.

I had one TA today offer to throw in a Dark Side bib for free if I bought Pixie Dust at the price they were offering, as long as I committed to a two-night stay at a WDW hotel for Dark Side as well.

If I can get a room at Caribbean Beach with the gift card for construction intrusion, I might just take the TA up on it.

If you want to run Dark Side, numerous charities are waiving fundraising minimums. These entities have to pay for bibs up-front, so they eat the cost when they're stuck with 50-plus bibs for a weekend with a lack of interest.
I'm unclear as to why TAs bought so many bibs when they KNEW Disney was changing their requirements SIGNIFICANTLY, making people buy TA packages that include BIB, HOTEL and TIX. That impacts LOCALS, DVC, APs... that's huge. I feel badly for them, but it was a really poor business decision on their parts.

Last edited:
Isn't Dark Side the first race they've booked since the TA change?

Maybe it IS on the chopping block, but at this point I think "the rumors of its demise are being greatly exaggerated". As often happens, I think DIS is getting WAY ahead of itself... :rolleyes1

And before you say it, I GET IT: It's just a discussion... it's what these boards are for, etc., etc. Agree. And I also stick with my above statement. :D

I would love to see numbers as to where the majority of people who took the option to run a different race went.

I am one who took the transfer to W&D and can say if I didn't get that transfer and didn't have an annual pass that I only got for this year and won't renew that I probably wouldn't have signed up for W&D as it is now. I did find it to be an opportunity at a fairly low cost (as far as Disney is concerned at least) to try the weekend out and enjoy Food and Wine Festival. I am just happy to be going back, but yes, if it wasn't for the transfer and pass I wouldn't be doing it this year for sure.

Without wild speculation and gossip what is even the point of DIS?
Pretty sure I addressed that in my last post... I get it - and agree for the most part. Doesn't preclude calling it what it is from the conversation. :)

Last edited:
I think the weekend has been fine in January for 25 years. I don't really see any reason to move it IMO.
Not changing just because things are "fine" is not the way to run a business. Also, January crowds have increased a great deal over the last decade - especially MLK weekend.

I suspect a part of the sell out was the cancelled January half. I agree with the change from night to day pretty much ruining this race weekend but that is a matter of opinion. The question becomes starting next year will the draw of a race during F&W be enough to keep the runners who viewed the night run and after party as the best part of the weekend.

I think the current dates of marathon weekend and Princess work great as they are. I like having the race right after the holidays. I don't think you'd see many more people going in February that don't already go in January. It is still post holidays, still during the school year, and still during the winter. If anything February has a slightly better chance for adverse weather.

I would really like to see a race in late November or early December with a holiday theme. If it is early enough in the holiday season to avoid the really crowded times I think it would be a great addition. I have some other Florida races on my to-do list around that time for that very reason. Do a race and then hit up the parks to see the Christmas decorations.

I'd really like to see them move Marathon weekend a bit (but agree it's highly unlikely). I hate that it's butting up against the end of the Christmas/New Year holiday. Getting lodging is proving difficult without paying a premium cost. Plus, I like the idea of getting my holiday break from work going back for a few weeks and then leaving again. :D This way it all runs together. Of course, there is a rhyme/reason to how they schedule it right, so I'm thinking after this year, it will be a bit later in January again. Doesn't it have something to do with how New Year's falls and then Presidents Day or something?

Not changing just because things are "fine" is not the way to run a business. Also, January crowds have increased a great deal over the last decade - especially MLK weekend.
I'm not convinced that moving Marathon Weekend to February would make it more popular. They've likely look a moving it. It's been in the month of January for 24 years and will be for 25 I just don't see any need to move it.

Currently it's New Years and MLK day. Presidents' Day is in February.

Ah yes, MLK. I know the first year we ran it it was closer to mid-January than the beginning because we were there for our anniversary which is the 14th. I much preferred that.

Ah yes, MLK. I know the first year we ran it it was closer to mid-January than the beginning because we were there for our anniversary which is the 14th. I much preferred that.
I believe when the marathon first started it was at the end of January rather than the beginning.

I'd really like to see them move Marathon weekend a bit (but agree it's highly unlikely). I hate that it's butting up against the end of the Christmas/New Year holiday. Getting lodging is proving difficult without paying a premium cost. Plus, I like the idea of getting my holiday break from work going back for a few weeks and then leaving again. :D This way it all runs together. Of course, there is a rhyme/reason to how they schedule it right, so I'm thinking after this year, it will be a bit later in January again. Doesn't it have something to do with how New Year's falls and then Presidents Day or something?
I feel like there would need to be a really pressing reason to move the marathon- more so than messing with the dates for a half. Most other marathons are held on the same day every year- the 3rd Monday in April or the 1st Sunday in November. People train a long time and having the race at a predictable time seems like it would be important. Even if a WDW marathon isn't a Major race-it's been held in the second week in January for almost 25 years (what were they thinking in 2011?!).

I feel like there would need to be a really pressing reason to move the marathon- more so than messing with the dates for a half. Most other marathons are held on the same day every year- the 3rd Monday in April or the 1st Sunday in November. People train a long time and having the race at a predictable time seems like it would be important. Even if a WDW marathon isn't a Major race-it's been held in the second week in January for almost 25 years (what were they thinking in 2011?!).

Oh, I agree they won't change it. I'd just like them to. :) Really mid January was ideal for us and when it was the second week it was fine, but this is the first week this time right? It just seems they've been inching it up, but again that just may be the way the calendar has been falling and in 2019, it may be closer to mid-January again.

I have some other Florida races on my to-do list around that time for that very reason. Do a race and then hit up the parks to see the Christmas decorations.

The Mount Dora half is Christmas themed and run on the third week of December and only about a 45 minute drive from the parks.I did it this past year and got a spinner Santa medal,I think the next two medals are already unveiled,I think its a candy cane one year and maybe Rudolph the next??While I enjoyed the race course and the town of Mt.Dora the race is very inexpensive and that's my only complaint,I rather them raise the reg. fee $15-$20 and improve their hydration and food.First the water on course was seriously being rationed as each cup barely had more than a sip,I could be wrong but I don't remember any kind of gels or chews on the course.And yes the for issues continue after the race,very limited food afterwards.It was my first time running it and I already sent them a message to improve that situation,even if they jack up the price a bit cause I really enjoyed everything else and having moved near the parks the race became a local race for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter