Have a Christmas rant? This is the place for you!

Wow, so weird because yesteday I was looking for some that say "Happy Holidays' or "Season's Greetings" and all I could find were "Merry Christmas" cards!

FYI: Walgreen's in particular had tons and tons of "Merry Christmas" cards.

Yes, me too. It was hard to find generic happy holidays cards, but there were tons of Merry Christmas cards.

My rant is that I am an ungrateful wife! :rotfl2: That's not really true; it's just that I am the keeper of the budget in our house, and payer of bills- and we are always on the edge of being broke. I know exactly how much money we have to spend each year, and am careful to keep us on budget. DH understands this, and approves. Each year, I give him a list of things that DD and I want, and the limit on the budget. He does a really good job with his purchases/expenditures... until he loses his mind! He'll go out on the 24th, when all the shopping is done and gifts wrapped, to pick up a "few little things." Grrrrr.... last year it was $300 sapphire earrings for me and an IPod for DD. TOTALLY blew the budget. It makes it very, very stressful for me, to the point where I dread spending a single cent on Christmas, because I know that DH is going to make a couple of extravagant purchases at the very end. Heck,I don't wear (or have anyplace TO wear) fancy earrings, and DD didn't want an IPod. On Christmas morning, I have to pretend to be excited about such a wonderful present, when inside I am upset and nauseated, trying to figure out where the money will come from. I love that he thinks we are so special, but it just completely pushes me over the edge, and makes Christmas a not-so-happy day. (ANd yes, DH understands the budget and knows what we can/cannot afford to do, AND we've talked about it. He just loses his mind at Christmas!)

The cat puked under the bed and on the tree skirt. There's also a funny smell in the living room that I can't find the source of.

Have you ever heard Twisted Christmas's "There's Something up the Chimney"? Try googling it and you might find out where the smell is coming from.....:crazy2:

I love Christmas movies shows and movies but it is only the 12 and it is already on massive repeat and not only that but they are doing it during the day interpreting the day time line up

Mine is less a rant and more a wish. I just wish my kids understood the mystique of Christmas. To them it'll just be another day. They don't even notice the tree we put up.

I know some of your kids have special needs, like my Christian.:grouphug: I used to think he didn't care about Christmas too. He is very autistic and holidays are just not important to him (unless there is cake involved!) We joke that we save a lot of money on him at Christmas! But over the years I've changed my mind. I realize that he *does* show subtle signs of recognizing symbols of the Christmas season. At Thanksgiving, I witnessed him go over to the corner where we usually put up the tree. He stood there in the corner hugging himself and rubbing his arms--that's one of his signs of feeling happy; it's an extention of his "more" sign. So there he was, hugging and hugging. It finally dawned on me that he was trying to convey the thought that he wanted the Christmas tree to appear. Somehow I never made the connection until now. It was quite an epiphany for me and I ran quick and dug out the tree and the lights. He was in Hog Heaven!

I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but I feel like our kids learn in a lot of little and big ways. We never know what is going to be the *one* small thing that turns the key that unlocks a new thought, a new skill, of a new understanding. I try to remember that just because Christian can't tell me stuff, doesn't mean he doesn't feel, understand and remember stuff. :thumbsup2 Merry Christmas to all your little (and big!) ones

Ok, I am adding another rant! My brother is HORRIBLE about sending me pictures and ideas for his kids. Every year, I make a calendar for my mother and include pics of all the grands. Every year, it is pulling teeth to get any from him, and when he finally responds, he just emails me his snapfish account and I have to search through his pics to find some. And lists don't show up til right before Amazon free shipping is over.

The year I stopped waiting and came up with my own ideas, they were duplicate gifts and it was a big mess. They did buy new ones and give the ones we sent as bday gifts to their friends so it worked out but jeez, why add the extra work. Just let me know what they want!

He emailed me through FB over a week ago and I replied twice but he has not responded. I can see when he saw my msgs so why the heck isn't he emailing me back??? Where's the tear your hair out smilie?

My rant is about others calling me to tell me what they bought for everyone else. Why do I care what you spent on every single person in the family? :confused3 And why do you need to call me every other day to go over the entire list again because you got another "fantastic deal" you just can't wait to tell me about?

Then other family members call me and say they hope they get so-and-so this year ... which I know for a fact they aren't getting. So I just have to sit and say, "Mmmmhmmm I hope you get it, too." :rolleyes1

They all know I'm trapped here, still laid up with this stupid ankle, so I'm their sounding board for every gift idea or wish they've had for the last month and a half. "Do you think she'll like this?" "I don't know." "Well, if I bought it, do you think she'll use it?" "I don't KNOW." "WELL, if I get it, you don't think she'll take it back and get a gift card, do you?" "I'M NOT A MIND READER! I DON'T FREAKIN' KNOW!" :headache:

/rant over

I know some of your kids have special needs, like my Christian.:grouphug: I used to think he didn't care about Christmas too. He is very autistic and holidays are just not important to him (unless there is cake involved!) We joke that we save a lot of money on him at Christmas! But over the years I've changed my mind. I realize that he *does* show subtle signs of recognizing symbols of the Christmas season. At Thanksgiving, I witnessed him go over to the corner where we usually put up the tree. He stood there in the corner hugging himself and rubbing his arms--that's one of his signs of feeling happy; it's an extention of his "more" sign. So there he was, hugging and hugging. It finally dawned on me that he was trying to convey the thought that he wanted the Christmas tree to appear. Somehow I never made the connection until now. It was quite an epiphany for me and I ran quick and dug out the tree and the lights. He was in Hog Heaven!

I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but I feel like our kids learn in a lot of little and big ways. We never know what is going to be the *one* small thing that turns the key that unlocks a new thought, a new skill, of a new understanding. I try to remember that just because Christian can't tell me stuff, doesn't mean he doesn't feel, understand and remember stuff. :thumbsup2 Merry Christmas to all your little (and big!) ones

Yet, again you have brought tears to my eyes, Minkydog. Thanks for sharing your special Christian with us!

:We can't afford Christmas gifts! :sad1: I don't want to ear what everyone else is doing for Christmas. I don't want to hear how DH's boss just got to go to Disneyland while we are struggling to pay bills and groceries! :furious: I am thankful that we have grandparents who love to buy our kids toys. I am just praying the toys the boys want are in stock right before Christmas. :sad2:

:grouphug: I have been in your shoes. We had a "hard candy Christmas" when my kids were pretty young. There was just no money for anything extra. We managed to scrape up enough to buy each kid a pair of shoes and a cartoon character pillow case. :sad1: Christmas morning at my house was pretty slim pickings and I have to admit, I shed a couple tears when I came downstairs and saw the limp stockings and those three little pairs of shoes. Thankfully, my mom and my sisters knew we were in dire straits and they sent some candy, warm coats & hats, and a few toys for each one. The kids never knew just how tight things were and they had a lovely time playing with the things their Granny and Aunties sent.

Hang in there. This will be the year to enjoy the free and inexpensive holiday happenings. It will be okay.:grouphug:

When I got married, I made a deal with my husband. I take care of my family and he takes care of his. That goes for emails, invites, thank you cards, birthdays, holidays, phone calls, presents...everything. There is no personal secretary in this family. We each take care of business. This was the "other" doesn't look guilty of anything in the eyes of the "other persons" family.

Try it, it works.

If I left it up to my DH it would one extreme or the next. People would get absolutely nothing or he would totally blow the budget and be buying people the most expensive gift in the store...but but she is my mom, she deserves a $400 purse...that 's great dear we dont have $400 to spend

I feel so petty after reading some of these other rants, but the only thing that has really bothered me so far this Christmas season:

Trying to find Christmas cards that actually say "Merry Christmas" on the front! I dug through an entire lot the other day that all said "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" !!

Here is my rant...DS15 goes to a Catholic HS, he has a priest who has had the boys "adopt" as pen pals some of the nuns in a local nursing home. They wrote letters in Oct and now he is having them send Christmas cards...super sweet right?

Except this dingaling priest has certain criteria for the cards, and if they are not met the kids lose points on their next test! They can not make cards. They must be Christmas cards, they must be blank inside so they can write their own personal greeting (that is nice), and they must NOT say Merry Christmas... why you ask bc that according to Fr Thom is not the correct way to say the greeting it should be Happy Christmas! WTH??????

DS15 and I have gone to several stores, I looked all over the mall today and then we ran to one last store when we picked up pizza. We found cards that have a Nativity scene on the front, a small greeting so plenty of room to write a msg, and they say something about a Blessed Christmas. But DS is super worried bc they are not blank inside!!!!!!

I have no idea if he will give my DS a hard time about his cards...he is ecentric like that. To me this takes away from the nice deed of writing the cards for the nuns!!!!!!

No rants here. Yes, I bought all the gifts (even my own), wrapped them all, did all the decorating (DH did put the tree up and the lights on), but I am just thankful that I am able to do it and we have the means to have a nice Christmas. I wish everyone else could too!

This will be our second Christmas without my dad. Last year we were all in Florida where we buried him (he was cremated) and held the burial the Friday before Christmas, so we really did not have time to think about it really being a holiday This year will be a lot tougher I am sure.

Here is my rant...DS15 goes to a Catholic HS, he has a priest who has had the boys "adopt" as pen pals some of the nuns in a local nursing home. They wrote letters in Oct and now he is having them send Christmas cards...super sweet right?

Except this dingaling priest has certain criteria for the cards, and if they are not met the kids lose points on their next test! They can not make cards. They must be Christmas cards, they must be blank inside so they can write their own personal greeting (that is nice), and they must NOT say Merry Christmas... why you ask bc that according to Fr Thom is not the correct way to say the greeting it should be Happy Christmas! WTH??????

DS15 and I have gone to several stores, I looked all over the mall today and then we ran to one last store when we picked up pizza. We found cards that have a Nativity scene on the front, a small greeting so plenty of room to write a msg, and they say something about a Blessed Christmas.

I have no idea if he will give my DS a hard time about his cards...he is ecentric like that. To me this takes away from the nice deed of writing the cards for the nuns!!!!!!

A Catholic here who works in the church

Sometimes the priests are just out of touch with reality, aren't they? Like the ones who say this is Advent and wait until Christmas Day to enjoy the season-WTH. Many of the things to enjoy will be gone Christmas afternoon!

A Catholic here who works in the church

Sometimes the priests are just out of touch with reality, aren't they? Like the ones who say this is Advent and wait until Christmas Day to enjoy the season-WTH. Many of the things to enjoy will be gone Christmas afternoon!

I met him he seems like a sweet man. He gave a absolutely beautiful homily about Mothers and Sons and had his mom there at a recent breakfast.

The actual idea of sending the cards is super sweet, why make so many restrictions, I mean I could get asking that they be religious in nature vs secular, it is a Catholic school, nuns are getting them. Great we remember the true meaning. But the rest was crazy, I never realized that they dont seem to make blank cards! And if these things are that important than have the kids make the cards on the computer and they can have all that and the moms (bc they are freshman, dont drive) dont have to drive them all over the place in an attempt to find these things!

and they must NOT say Merry Christmas... why you ask bc that according to Fr Thom is not the correct way to say the greeting it should be Happy Christmas! WTH??????

Is he British? Some of my British friends say "Happy Christmas" instead of "Merry Christmas".

My Christmas rant is Christmas parties that are pot-luck and no one labels their dish with ingredients or even vegan etc. I have allergies and end up having only plain meat and veggies from the crudities because those are the only things I know are safe.
Also parties at church that say no children and are right after church. What do you do with the kids?

My rant is small...but I am stressed because I've been so concentrated on finals that I haven't been able to get in the Christmas spirit. I also got FH some nice presents, but now he is all stressed out because he's afraid I "got him more" and that it's a competition....when it isn't. I got the presents because I love you dork and had the money this year because I had the misfortune of losing my Nana which resulted in an inheritance....I'm not trying to outshine you! GRR!!! It's Christmas not a "who loves who more" competition! He's been so hung up on "matching" me....I want him to enjoy the season not worry about that....and I try to tell him but he doesn't listen :( /endrant

DS15 and I have gone to several stores, I looked all over the mall today and then we ran to one last store when we picked up pizza. We found cards that have a Nativity scene on the front, a small greeting so plenty of room to write a msg, and they say something about a Blessed Christmas. But DS is super worried bc they are not blank inside!!!!!!

Nothing like sucking all the joy out of doing something nice!

Is he British? Some of my British friends say "Happy Christmas" instead of "Merry Christmas".

One of the store clerks mentioned that when I asked...he does not sound like he is...like I said he is just quite ecentric:rotfl2:

My rant is really just feeling sad at the fact that I am not buying a single present for ds18. He's graduating in January (4 months early) and going to boot camp for the Marines in February. So he asked for cash, which makes sense since he can't take anything to boot camp etc.

But when I wrapped up dd's presents and put them under the tree, it really made me sad. I am proud of him for going into the Marines, but I am sad he's growin up and away from me and the fact that Christmas morning will consist of me giving him some cash. I intend to wrap it in a box but not buying him anything seems kind of blah to me.

I also think just knowing that he's leaving in less than two months is hitting home to be big time.

A co worker has a son who is two and she is so excited buying him gifts and seeing his excitement regading the tree and decorations.

It sure goes fast.:sad:

My rant is really just feeling sad at the fact that I am not buying a single present for ds18. He's graduating in January (4 months early) and going to boot camp for the Marines in February. So he asked for cash, which makes sense since he can't take anything to boot camp etc.

But when I wrapped up dd's presents and put them under the tree, it really made me sad. I am proud of him for going into the Marines, but I am sad he's growin up and away from me and the fact that Christmas morning will consist of me giving him some cash. I intend to wrap it in a box but not buying him anything seems kind of blah to me.

I also think just knowing that he's leaving in less than two months is hitting home to be big time.

A co worker has a son who is two and she is so excited buying him gifts and seeing his excitement regading the tree and decorations.

It sure goes fast.:sad:

I've seen things where you get a box of chocolate, but take all the chocolate out and put money in all the little cubby-wrappers....could you do that to give it a project to wrap at least?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter